Subject: [babel] Never thought I'd live to see the day ...

From: Tony Przygienda <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2016 11:10:50 -0700

The discussion on running routing over lightbulbs left me fairly
breathless. I never thought I'd live to see the day ...

And 9$ for a board, o tempura [auto-corrected ;-)] , o mores ...

--- tony

---

From: Dave Taht <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2016 11:42:16 -0700

On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 11:10 AM, Tony Przygienda <[email-masked]> wrote:
> The discussion on running routing over lightbulbs left me fairly breathless.
> I never thought I'd live to see the day ...

I thought I'd live to see the day.

routing is trivial with various technologies. Even required, in the
case of multiple meshy radio systems. There's also "LiFi" and related
IP over LED technologies emerging.

How about bongos?
http://web.archive.org/web/20130126160401/http://eagle.auc.ca/~dreid/

...

The question is no longer about what devices can route, but what devices should.

the act of routing itself is trivial compared to the problems of
access to the devices themselves. Most of my internal routers, for
example, do not have a public ipv6 address, just fe80s.

My canonical example as to why you might not want to also grant full
access to lightbulbs from the internet, at the moment is here:

https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/40397.html

(and in addition to the security flaws exposed in that article, the
gateway box DOES get an ipv6 address, and takes telnet over port 22 to
the well known password. I got a couple merely because the flaws were
so well documented that I figured I could make them do some nifty
things outside of the box, but so far don't have a compiler working)

They make great christmas gifts! For people you don't like very much!

http://www.amazon.com/iSuper-iRainbow001-Lighting-Automation-Android/dp/B00GTCF436?ie=UTF8&keywords=irainbow&qid=1465324580&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

> And 9$ for a board, o tempura [auto-corrected ;-)] , o mores ...

That's *this year*. Project anything on a cost/capability curve
forward a few years...

>
> --- tony
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> babel mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/babel
>

-- 
Dave Täht
Let's go make home routers and wifi faster! With better software!
http://blog.cerowrt.org

---

From: Tony Przygienda <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2016 16:41:08 -0700

Writing _a_ routing protocol and switching it on is trivial ...

Getting routing done correctly on a larger scale (i.e. more than a couple
light-bulbs together) is a really interesting problem that with lots of
effort achieves a stable local optimum initially for short times, these
days for reasonably long times ...

I look forward to the first on/off/on/off storm of my lightbulbs on IP
routing loop ;-)  The Industrial BUS in my house is almost indestructible
in terms of looping multiple lines but by some smart misconfiguration I
managed that couple times in last 10 years or so. The effects were
mesmerizing  but the rest of my family completely and utterly failed to
appreciate the effect ...

Speaking of which, I'm skeptical we'll have e'thing running iP inside the
home (unless it's some very, very simplified version) for couple reasons
albeit those price-points are shocking ... Most problematic is power
consumption and galvanic interface decoupling which tends to be
expensiv'ish.

as always,  the future, being the future, is hard to predict ...

-- tony

On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 11:42 AM, Dave Taht <[email-masked]> wrote:

> breathless.

-- 
*We’ve heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce
the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know
that is not true.*
—Robert Wilensky