Subject: Re: [babel] help testing Babel

From: "STARK, BARBARA H" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 17:11:53 +0000

The intern will not be in Berlin, but this is the info she gave me. She’s not familiar with OpenWRT (other than what she’s managed to learn over the past few weeks by reading online info and postings from others), and online info/postings are very sketchy on how to accomplish what the error messages suggest needs to be done.
I’m happy to take this off-line, if this isn’t a good topic for the babel list. But I figure it is definitely related to getting babel tested.

There are two error when trying to update the packages for hnet and babel, and they appear to be unrelated. I have clipped images of both of them and attached them. For the first issue, several suggestions from the forum say that editing the signature in the build will allow it to work, though I am unsure how to do this. For the second issue, there is a possibility of it being a DNS problem, but I couldn't figure out how to fix it in messing with DNS settings.

---

From: Dave Taht <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 10:38:41 -0700

Well, doing the nightlies from lede-project's reboot of openwrt has
not had any issues in a while, re, signing, at least.

https://www.lede-project.org/development.html

you can tell /etc/opkg.conf to not check the signatures, also.

On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 10:11 AM, STARK, BARBARA H <[email-masked]> wrote:
> The intern will not be in Berlin, but this is the info she gave me. She’s
> not familiar with OpenWRT (other than what she’s managed to learn over the
> past few weeks by reading online info and postings from others), and online
> info/postings are very sketchy on how to accomplish what the error messages
> suggest needs to be done.
>
> I’m happy to take this off-line, if this isn’t a good topic for the babel
> list. But I figure it is definitely related to getting babel tested.
>
>
>
> There are two error when trying to update the packages for hnet and babel,
> and they appear to be unrelated. I have clipped images of both of them and
> attached them. For the first issue, several suggestions from the forum say
> that editing the signature in the build will allow it to work, though I am
> unsure how to do this. For the second issue, there is a possibility of it
> being a DNS problem, but I couldn't figure out how to fix it in messing with
> DNS settings.
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> babel mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/babel
>

-- 
Dave Täht
Let's go make home routers and wifi faster! With better software!
http://blog.cerowrt.org

---

From: Juliusz Chroboczek <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 19:45:15 +0200

> this is the info she gave me

There's a mismatch between the key the packages were signed with and the
public key the router knows about.  Is she trying to install prebuilt
packages onto a self-built image?

If so, she should be able to work around the issue by setting
check_signature to 0 in /etc/opkg.conf and running "opkg update" again.
(She might also need to remove /tmp/opkg-lists, I'm not sure.)  With the
obvious security implications.

At Babel Towers, we prefer to use prebuilt images.  We also prefer to use
the latest snapshot rather than stable OpenWRT, since there have been
quite a few recent fixes to hnetd.

> I’m happy to take this off-line, if this isn’t a good topic for the babel list.

Please ask her to join the babel-users list (she can use a throw-away
email if she prefers, we don't insist on real names), there's a lot of
OpenWRT expertise there.  Other good places to ask are the OpenWRT forums,
the OpenWRT user list (not the devel list), and the #openwrt channel on
Freenode.

-- Juliusz