Subject: [babel] Last-minute tightening in rfc6126bis

From: Juliusz Chroboczek <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2019 12:07:37 +0200

Dear all,

Joao Sobrinho has sent me his observations about convergence of a certain
class of routing protocols in the presence of metrics that are not
left-distributive.  In short, it turns out that protocols such as DSDV can
cause persistent blackholes in some topologies if the metric being used is
not left-distributive.

Happily enough, Babel does not belong to the class of protocols that are
problematic.  However, the current text describes the relevant property in
non-normative language.  Thanks to Sobrinho's explanation, I've decided to
make the relevant property into a MUST.  I believe that all existent
implementations already have the right property.

I've just committed the relevant changes to the github repository:

    https://github.com/jech/babel-drafts/commit/5b038542a765b550cec487878f9f0acc2c2f82b0

I'll let them simmer for a few days, then push a new revision to the
datatracker.

-- Juliusz

---

From: David Schinazi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2019 17:20:55 -0700

Hi Juliusz,

I can confirm that my former implementation did not use seqnos for route
selection.

I support this change to the document.

David

On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 3:07 AM Juliusz Chroboczek <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> babel mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/babel
>