Subject: [BEHAVE] CGN default IP address pooling behaviour

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 09:33:02 -0400

Behaviers,

In draft-ietf-behave-lsn-requirements-05, REQ-2 specifies the default 
CGN IP address pooling behaviour: "Paired", meaning that an internal 
address is always mapped to the same external address. Here's the full text:

    REQ-2:  A CGN MUST have a default "IP address pooling" behavior of
            "Paired" (as defined in [RFC4787] section 4.1).  A CGN MAY
            provide a mechanism for administrators to change this
            behavior on an application protocol basis.

 From -05 to -06, this requirement went from MUST to SHOULD. The cause 
was the following excerpt from the AD review by David Harrington:

> 8) in REQ-2, you say the default must be xxx, but a CGN may do
> something else. Typically, combining MUST with a MAY means you should
> be using a SHOULD. MUST should be used used when a protocol will not
> work if the specified behavior is not done.

Private emails made me realize that this change may have been a mistake. 
The MUST would apply to the *default* behaviour. The MAY does not apply 
to the default behaviour. It applies to the existence of a mechanism for 
changing the behaviour (not the default, but the one being used) to 
something else.

Unless the WG disagrees, it will be changed back to a MUST in the next 
revision.

Simon
-- 
DTN made easy, lean, and smart --> http://postellation.viagenie.ca
NAT64/DNS64 open-source        --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server               --> http://numb.viagenie.ca

---

From: Dave Thaler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 22:37:21 +0000

I agree with your interpretation Simon and the proposed action.

-Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Simon Perreault
Sent: Friday, May 4, 2012 6:33 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [BEHAVE] CGN default IP address pooling behaviour

Behaviers,

In draft-ietf-behave-lsn-requirements-05, REQ-2 specifies the default CGN IP address pooling behaviour: "Paired", meaning that an internal address is always mapped to the same external address. Here's the full text:

Private emails made me realize that this change may have been a mistake. 
The MUST would apply to the *default* behaviour. The MAY does not apply to the default behaviour. It applies to the existence of a mechanism for changing the behaviour (not the default, but the one being used) to something else.

Unless the WG disagrees, it will be changed back to a MUST in the next revision.

Simon
--
DTN made easy, lean, and smart --> http://postellation.viagenie.ca
NAT64/DNS64 open-source        --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server               --> http://numb.viagenie.ca
_______________________________________________
Behave mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/behave