Subject: [BEHAVE] WG Action: Rechartered Behavior Engineering for Hindrance Avoidance (behave)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 12:31:39 -0700

The Behavior Engineering for Hindrance Avoidance (behave) working group
in the Transport Area of the IETF has been rechartered. For additional
information please contact the Area Directors or the WG Chairs.

Behavior Engineering for Hindrance Avoidance (behave)
------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Active Working Group

Chairs:
  Dan Wing <[email-masked]>
  Dave Thaler <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Wesley Eddy <[email-masked]>

Mailing list
  Address: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/behave
  Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/behave

Charter of Working Group:

The working group creates documents to enable IPv4/IPv4 and IPv6/IPv4
NATs to function in as deterministic a fashion as possible.

To support deployments where communicating hosts require using
different address families (IPv4 or IPv6), address family translation is
needed to establish communication.  BEHAVE will coordinate on this topic
with the V6ops WG on requirements and operational considerations. 

"An IPv4 network" or "an IPv6 network" in the descriptions below refer
to a network with a clearly identifiable administrative domain (e.g., an
enterprise campus network, a mobile operator's cellular network, a
residential subscriber network, etc.). It will also be that network that
deploys the necessary equipment for translation.

BEHAVE will finish four scenarios: (1) An IPv6 network to IPv4
Internet, (2) an IPv6 Internet to an IPv4 network, (3) an IPv6 network
to an IPv4 network, and (4) an IPv4 network to an IPv6 network.

Specifically, BEHAVE will update the NAT MIB (RFC 4008) to be
consistent with the management aspects of its IPv6/IPv4 NAT solutions,
and specify IPFIX information elements to meet logging requirements,
reusing existing elements, if possible. 

In addition, when a NAT (such as a NAT64 in the "An IPv6 network to
IPv4 Internet" scenario) serves multiple subscribers, inter-subscriber
fairness issues arise.  As such, BEHAVE will complete its work on
Carrier Grade NAT requirements for such scenarios, and update the NAT
MIB as needed to meet such requirements.  BEHAVE will not, however,
standardize IPv4-specific behavioral mechanisms.

The following scenarios remain in scope for discussion, but will not be
solved by BEHAVE:

* An IPv4 network to IPv6 Internet, i.e. perform translation between
IPv4 and IPv6 for packets in uni- or bi-directional flows that are
initiated from an IPv4 host towards an IPv6 host. The translator
function is intended to service a specific IPv4 network using either
public or private IPv4 address space.

* IPv4 Internet to an IPv6 network, i.e. perform translation between
IPv4 and IPv6 for packets in uni- or bi-directional flows that are
initiated from an IPv4 host towards an IPv6 host. The translator
function is intended to service a specific IPv6 network where selected
IPv6 hosts and services are to be reachable.

This group will also provide reviews of any work by the MBoneD WG on
multicast translation, including control traffic (IGMP and MLD),  Single
Source Multicast (SSM) and Any Source Multicast (ASM).

If the WG deems it necessary, BEHAVE will revise RFCs previously
published by BEHAVE.

Milestones:
  Done     - Submit BCP that defines unicast UDP behavioral requirements
for NATs to IESG
  Done     - Submit a BCP that defines TCP behavioral requireents for
NATs to IESG
  Done     - Submit a BCP that defines ICMP behavioral requirements for
NATs to IESG
  Done     - Submit informational that discusses current NAT traversal
techniques used by applications
  Done     - Submit BCP that defines multicast UDP
  Done     - Submit revision of RFC 3489 to IESG behavioral requirements
for NATs to IESG
  Done     - Submit informational document for rfc3489bis test vectors
  Done     - Submit experimental document that describes how an
application can determine the type of NAT it is behind
  Done     - Submit BCP document for DCCP NAT behavior
  Done     - Determine relative prioritization of the four translation
cases. Documented in IETF74 minutes.
  Done     - Determine what solutions(s) and components are needed to
solve each of the four cases. Create new milestones for the solution(s)
and the components. Documented in IETF74 minutes.
  Done     - Submit to IESG: relaying of a TCP bytestream (std)
  Done     - Submit to IESG: relay protocol (std)
  Done     - Submit to IESG:  TURN-URI document (std)
  Done     - Submit to IESG: IPv6 relay protocol (std)
  Done     - Submit to IESG:  framework for IPv6/IPv4 translation (info)
  Done     - Submit to IESG:  stateless IPv6/IPv4 translation (std)
  Done     - Submit to IESG:  stateful IPv6/IPv4 translation (std)
  Done     - Submit to IESG:  DNS rewriting for IPv6/IPv4 translation
(std)
  Done     - Submit to IESG:  IPv6 prefix for IPv6/IPv4 translator (std)
  Done     - Determine need and scope of multicast 6/4 translation
  Done     - Submit to IESG:  FTP ALG for IPv6/IPv4 translation (std)
  Done     - Submit to IESG: Analysis of NAT-PT considerations with
IPv6/IPv4 translation (info)
  Done     - Submit to IESG: host-based NAT46 translation for IPv4-only
applications to access IPv6-only servers (std)
  Jul 2012 - Submit to IESG:  large scale NAT requirements (BCP)
  Jul 2012 - Submit to IESG: avoiding NAT64 with dual-stack host for
local networks (std)
  Nov 2012 - Submit to IESG: updates to NAT MIB for NAT64 (std)
  Nov 2012 - Submit to IESG: updates to NAT MIB for CGNs (std)
  Nov 2012 - Submit to IESG: IPFIX information elements (std)