Subject: [BEHAVE] Fwd: RFC 8158 on IP Flow Information Export (IPFIX) Information Elements for Logging NAT Events and Next Steps on management

From: Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2017 08:34:48 -0600

I forward this to celebrate the removal of the longest delay in AUTH-48
from the list the RFC Editor sends to the IESG on a regular basis, and to
thank Senthil and Reinaldo for bravery above and beyond the call of duty in
getting this one out.

Thanks to all who contributed.

I have one more AD-sponsored BEHAVE leftover in my queue -
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-behave-syslog-nat-logging/. Are
we ready to do this one? It couldn't possibly take longer ...

Thanks for your thoughts.

Spencer, as perhaps the worst AD on the current IESG (and if some of your
thoughts include "it's time to re-read
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7437#section-7", I wouldn't be a bit
surprised)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 4:08 PM
Subject: RFC 8158 on IP Flow Information Export (IPFIX) Information
Elements for Logging NAT Events
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8158

        Title:      IP Flow Information Export (IPFIX)
                    Information Elements for Logging NAT Events
        Author:     S. Sivakumar,
                    R. Penno
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       December 2017
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      34
        Characters: 78399
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-behave-ipfix-nat-logging-13.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8158

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8158

Network operators require NAT devices to log events like creation and
deletion of translations and information about the resources that the
NAT device is managing.  In many cases, the logs are essential to
identify an attacker or a host that was used to launch malicious
attacks and for various other purposes of accounting.  Since there is
no standard way of logging this information, different NAT devices
use proprietary formats; hence, it is difficult to expect consistent
behavior.  This lack of standardization makes it difficult to write
the Collector applications that would receive this data and process
it to present useful information.  This document describes the
formats for logging NAT events.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC