Subject: [bess] Eric Rescorla's Discuss on draft-ietf-bess-evpn-etree-13: (with DISCUSS)

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2017 11:35:29 -0700

Eric Rescorla has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-bess-evpn-etree-13: Discuss

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-evpn-etree/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSS:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

It's not clear to me if the prohibition on leaf-to-leaf communications is
intended to be a security requirement. If so, it seems like it needs to
explicitly state why it is not possible for ACs which are leaf to pretend to be
root. If not, then it should say so. Additionally, this solution appears to
rely very heavily on filtering, so I believe some text about what happens
during periods of filtering inconsistency (and what the impact on the security
is).

---

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2017 02:59:08 -0700

I have some memory that someone responded that this wasn't a security
requirement, but I can't find that now.

-Ekr

---

From: "Alvaro Retana (aretana)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2017 13:03:30 +0000

Hi!

I don’t have anything in my archive either. :-(

I just poked the authors…

Alvaro.

On 9/26/17, 5:59 AM, "Eric Rescorla" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:

I have some memory that someone responded that this wasn't a security requirement, but I can't find that now.

-Ekr

On Sat, Sep 9, 2017 at 11:35 AM, Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
Eric Rescorla has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-bess-evpn-etree-13: Discuss