Subject: [bess] Protocol Action: 'E-TREE Support in EVPN & PBB-EVPN' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-bess-evpn-etree-14.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2017 06:53:31 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'E-TREE Support in EVPN & PBB-EVPN'
  (draft-ietf-bess-evpn-etree-14.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the BGP Enabled ServiceS Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Alia Atlas and Deborah Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-evpn-etree/

Technical Summary

   The Metro Ethernet Forum (MEF) has defined a rooted-multipoint
   Ethernet service known as Ethernet Tree (E-Tree). A solution
   framework for supporting this service in MPLS networks is proposed in
   RFC7387 ("A Framework for Ethernet Tree (E-Tree) Service over a
   Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) Network"). This document
   discusses how those functional requirements can be easily met with
   Ethernet VPN (EVPN) and how EVPN offers a more efficient
   implementation of these functions. This document makes use of the
   most significant bit of the scope governed by the IANA registry
   created by RFC7385, and hence updates RFC7385 accordingly.

Working Group Summary

   Nothing substantial. A first call for adoption did not lead to 
   adoption, for lack of an observable support base, but the document 
   was later adopted on a second pass.

Document Quality

  The document is of satisfying technical and editorial quality.
  Three vendors are known to be working on an implementation or 
   update of pre-standard implementations.

Personnel

  Thomas Morin is the Document Shepherd.
  Alvaro Retana is the Responsible Area Director.