Subject: [Bier] BoF focus questions

From: Greg Shepherd <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 13:49:34 -0700

*,

First, thank all of you for joining and contributing to some interesting
discussion! This is potentially some exciting new work and the detailed
discussions here on the list would indicate that there is community
interest already.

BUT, to date there is no WG, there is no adoption of this work by any other
WG, and we haven't even had our first BoF. Please feel free to continue the
bit-fiddling discussions on the other threads, but also please join in in
discussing the initial questions we need to address leading into and during
the upcoming BoF:

What are the problems to be solved?

   Please look at the current problem statement draft and voice your
agreement/disagreement/additions as you see them.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-shepherd-bier-problem-statement-00

What are the use cases?

   There is a draft in the work I understand, but we need input from the
broader community about how this work may be able to address other use
cases not yet considered. I have received some private email around this
issue and in every case asked them to take it to the list. Here's your
chance.

What is the cost of a new data-plane behavior?

   The current architecture draft presents a solution which requires a
completely new data-plane. This may have a considerably different cost than
a solution which can be achieved by simply tweak an existing solution or
data-plane. What is the overall impact of a new data-plane solution?

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wijnands-bier-architecture-00

Does this problem warrant a new data-plane behavior?

   Knowing all the above, do we feel the potential benefits justify the
work?

Don't hold back. All input is valid. It's best that we begin this
discussion right away so that we may more efficiently focus the discussion
in Hawaii. I'm looking forward to hearing from you all here, and seeing you
in HI. Yes, there will be Bier at the BIER BoF. How couldn't we?

Cheers!,

Greg