Subject: [Bier] New Version Notification for draft-shepherd-bier-problem-statement-01.txt

From: Greg Shepherd <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 05:45:20 -0800

BIER,

Please read and review the updated problem statement draft. I believe I
captured much of the input I received since the 00. The overall structure
is the same, but I've expanded section 2 with a more complete list of
problems related to the current set of multicast solutions.

If you see something missing or that needs correcting please let me know.

Thanks!,
Greg

---------- Forwarded message ----------
A new version of I-D, draft-shepherd-bier-problem-statement-01.txt
has been successfully submitted by Greg Shepherd and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:           draft-shepherd-bier-problem-statement
Revision:       01
Title:          Bit Indexed Explicit Replication (BIER) Problem Statement
Document date:  2015-01-30
Group:          Individual Submission
Pages:          11
URL:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-shepherd-bier-problem-statement-01.txt
Status:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-shepherd-bier-problem-statement/
Htmlized:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-shepherd-bier-problem-statement-01
Diff:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-shepherd-bier-problem-statement-01

Abstract:
   There is a need to simplify network operations for multicast
   services.  Current solutions require a tree-building control plane to
   build and maintain end-to-end tree state per flow, impacting router
   state capacity and network convergence times.  Multi-point tree
   building protocols are often considered complex to deploy and debug
   and may include mechanics from legacy use-cases and/or assumptions
   which no longer apply to the current use-cases.  When multicast
   services are transiting a provider network through an overlay, the
   core network has a choice to either aggregate customer state into a
   minimum set of core states resulting in flooding traffic to unwanted
   network end-points, or to map per-customer, per-flow tree state
   directly into the provider core state amplifying the network-wide
   state problem.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat