Subject: [Bier] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-shepherd-bier-problem-statement-02.txt

From: Greg Shepherd <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2015 15:02:14 -0800

Rev'd with some great input from Andrew.

Cheers,
Greg

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 3:01 PM
Subject: New Version Notification for
draft-shepherd-bier-problem-statement-02.txt
To: Greg Shepherd <[email-masked]>, Andrew Dolganow <
[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <
[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-shepherd-bier-problem-statement-02.txt
has been successfully submitted by Greg Shepherd and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:           draft-shepherd-bier-problem-statement
Revision:       02
Title:          Bit Indexed Explicit Replication (BIER) Problem Statement
Document date:  2015-02-06
Group:          Individual Submission
Pages:          13
URL:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-shepherd-bier-problem-statement-02.txt
Status:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-shepherd-bier-problem-statement/
Htmlized:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-shepherd-bier-problem-statement-02
Diff:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-shepherd-bier-problem-statement-02

Abstract:
   There is a need to simplify network operations for multicast
   services.  Current solutions require a tree-building control plane to
   build and maintain end-to-end tree state per flow, impacting router
   state capacity and network convergence times.  Multi-point tree
   building protocols are often considered complex to deploy and debug
   and may include mechanics from legacy use-cases and/or assumptions
   which no longer apply to the current use-cases.  When multicast
   services are transiting a provider network through an overlay, the
   core network has a choice to either aggregate customer state into a
   minimum set of core states resulting in flooding traffic to unwanted
   network end-points, or to map per-customer, per-flow tree state
   directly into the provider core state amplifying the network-wide
   state problem.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat