Subject: [Bier] Spencer Dawkins' No Objection on charter-ietf-bier-00-01: (with COMMENT)

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 20:27:29 -0800

Spencer Dawkins has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-bier-00-01: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-bier/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

One question. This text

   9) Deployment Experience: Once there is deployment experience, the
   WG will produce a document describing the benefits, problems, and
   trade-offs for using BIER instead of traditional multicast
   forwarding mechanisms.  Ideally, this should also contain an
   analysis of the impact and benefit of the new BIER data-plane to
   the overall Internet architecture.  This document is intended to be
   used to evaluate whether to recharter BIER to produce Standards
   Track RFCs.
   
seems like a lot of words to say "once there is deployment experience,
BIER may be rechartered to produce Standards Track RFCs". Do you need to
define the gates they must pass through now? (What if you think of
something else later?)

"produce a document" sounds like we're likely to be having the usual
discussion about whether to publish a working paper as an RFC when that
happens. If they sent the ADs an e-mail, would that be wrong?