Subject: [Bier] Multicast needs BIER

From: Aldrin Isaac <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 18:49:55 -0500

Hi,

As an operator who runs a network where multicast is required and used
extensively, I can vouch for the fact that existing approaches to multicast
make it a non-starter for mission critical use cases.  This speaks poorly
to the way multicast is done today.  Today I have no option but to use an
approach that does a poor job of meeting my business requirements and
expectations.  Multi-destination forwarding needs more than a facelift- it
needs an overhaul.

BIER currently represents a fresh new way of looking at the problem that I
am in full support of.  It finally puts multi-destination forwarding at the
same level as unicast.  Unless someone can come up with something better
than more lipstick on a pig, we need to see progress on BIER.

Cheers,
Aldrin

---

From: Greg Shepherd <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 16:18:52 -0800

Thanks Aldrin! Operator input is critical as we flesh out the details of BIER. I look forward to more of your input as the work progresses.

Greg

Sent from my iPhone

> On Feb 20, 2015, at 15:49, Aldrin Isaac <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hi,
> 
> As an operator who runs a network where multicast is required and used extensively, I can vouch for the fact that existing approaches to multicast make it a non-starter for mission critical use cases.  This speaks poorly to the way multicast is done today.  Today I have no option but to use an approach that does a poor job of meeting my business requirements and expectations.  Multi-destination forwarding needs more than a facelift- it needs an overhaul.  
> 
> BIER currently represents a fresh new way of looking at the problem that I am in full support of.  It finally puts multi-destination forwarding at the same level as unicast.  Unless someone can come up with something better than more lipstick on a pig, we need to see progress on BIER.
> 
> Cheers,
> Aldrin
> _______________________________________________
> BIER mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bier