Subject: [Bridge-mib] bridge mib revision

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 12:59:22 +0200

I am currently updating the BRIDGE-MIB to make it ready for last call.
There is one addition which I do not understand and where I need your
help. The following text got added to the description clause of the
dot1dStaticAllowedToGoTo object:

        This exceeds the minimum required SNMP packet size
	supported.  This is sufficient to allow the maximum
	4096 ports now supported.

dot1dStaticAllowedToGoTo is an OCTET STRING (SIZE (0..512)), so 4096
ports fit into 512 bytes. Can someone explain to me what this paragraph
is trying to convey to the reader?

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany

_______________________________________________
Bridge-mib mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bridge-mib

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 13:31:46 -0700

Hi -

> From: "Juergen Schoenwaelder" <[email-masked]>
> To: <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Friday, October 22, 2004 3:59 AM
> Subject: [Bridge-mib] bridge mib revision
>

> is trying to convey to the reader?
...

It's a health warning, though it could be clearer.

A value 512 bytes long would make the SNMP PDU larger than the
484 "minimum maximum" from RFC 3417 clause 3.2 second paragraph.
Consequently, SNMP engines that are going to shovel this value around
need to support more than that minimum maximum.

Randy