Subject: CLASS ordering (was: revised security section)

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 11:14:47 -0800

> 2.4.4.4 Policies
> Calendar access policies are individual sets of well-defined VCARs that can
> be referenced by their policy name. CAP specifies some standard POLICIES
> that are necessary for interoperability between CS and CUA implementations.
> The POLICY rule part of a VCAR is used to specify these policies.

> - ACTONBEHALFOF - Specifies rights for any CAP function taken on PUBLIC or
> PRIVATE calendar components. However, no CAP function can be taken on
> CONFIDENTIAL classified calendar components.

I think the new "iCalendar" MUST specify the importance of PUBLIC, PRIVATE,
and CONFIDENTIAL!

We need to specify the ordering for PRIVATE, PUBLIC, and CONFIDENTIAL. The
above text almost does. Example on some existing CUA's, PRIVATE is more
restrictive than CONFIDENTIAL, others CONFIDENTIAL is more restrictive
than PRIVATE. Reading the above text it implies that CONFIDENTIAL is 
the most restrictive.

This can cause real security issues. CUA-A thinks CONFIDENTIAL is more
restrictive, CS-B thinks that PRIVATE is more restrictive. So CU-A
puts personal information in CONFIDENTIAL. CU-B might now see it as
their CS (CS-B) calendar policy allows CU-B to read it.

-DOug