Subject: Re: NOOP command - your feedback needed

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 21:40:27 -0500

David:
I am not certain that I buy this argument of "checking the health of a 
server". You won't know the "healthiness" any better with a NOOP than a 
CAPABILITIES command (or any other command). If the server isn't healthy, 
then you will have a CUA timeout of the server (instead of the vice a 
versa). This can be achieved with any type of command, not just a NOOP.
-- Frank

---

From: David Madeo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 21:51:32 -0500

[email-masked] wrote:
> server". You won't know the "healthiness" any better with a NOOP than
> a CAPABILITIES command (or any other command). If the server isn't
> healthy, then you will have a CUA timeout of the server (instead of
> the vice a versa). This can be achieved with any type of command, not
> just a NOOP.

Good point.  The concern I had was that the command not actually do
anything.  CAPABILITIES fits that criteria as well.  

Thanks,

dmadeo