Subject: iMIP, RFC2447 and [RFC-1847]-compliant encryption

From: Paul Overell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 12:03:16 +0000

iMIP, RFC2447 says: 

>2.2.3 Confidentiality
>
>   To ensure confidentiality using iMIP implementations should utilize
>   [RFC-1847]-compliant encryption.
>

This implicitly excludes S/MIME encryption (RFC2633 etc) as S/MIME's
encryption is not [RFC-1847]-compliant - i.e. S/MIME does not use
multipart/encrypted.

Is this exclusion of S/MIME intentional or have I misunderstood
something here?

Regards
-- 
Paul Overell                                        T U R N P I K E  Ltd

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 11:55:39 -0800

As I could not find a reply to this, I'll try.

We want S/MIME, and most of us are not security experts, what
do you suggest? Is there a better text or RFC, or should
it be dropped?

---

From: Paul Overell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 10:16:55 +0000

In article <[email-masked]>, Doug Royer
<[email-masked]> writes

>As I could not find a reply to this, I'll try.

Thanks - I was beginning to feel left out  :).

>do you suggest? Is there a better text or RFC, or should

I know of no better RFC.   PGP/MIME encryption is RFC1847 compliant,
S/MIME encryption isn't.

As S/MIME was not explicitly specified I assume that the intention was
to leave the actual encryption scheme unspecified.

You ask for a suggestion, how about:

        To ensure confidentiality using iMIP implementations SHOULD
        utilize encryption.  It is outside the scope of this memo to
        specify specific encryption schemes.

Regards