Subject: Re: CAP Transfer Protocol "debug text"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 14:31:55 -0500

Steve asked:
>Are you saying that the comment would
>(could) be in English AND in some other language?  How would we know
>what the other charset / locale is?  Could you give a quick example of
>what you are suggesting?

Im playing a bit of catch up so pardon any rehashing of responses already 
sent... (hack hack)

I believe that since your response can be of the format:

REQUEST-STATUS:2.0;Everything was just hunky dory

that the optional stattext ("Everything was just hunky dory") could be in 
a language OTHER than English (the "i-default" that Chris refers to). 
However I think that we are already covered by the LANG= property 
parameter that can be used:

REQUEST-STATUS;LANG=en-pirate:2.0;Ahoy matey, all's ship shape
REQUEST-STATUS;LANG=es-cuban:2.0;Todo esta bein conmigo

With i-default, a lack of LANG= falls back to being English (LANG=en).  I 
think that this is a non-issue unless I have misunderstood the snippet of 
Chris's comments...  (I leave it as exercise to the reader to confirm that 
RFC 2445 allows LANG= on REQUEST-STATUS...)

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: [email-masked]
Iris Associates                          Phone: 978.392.5335
Westford, MA, USA 01886                    FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve Mansour)
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 12:09:07 -0800

Bruce,

  "REQUEST-STATUS:2.0;Everything was just hunky dory"

is application-level data.  The comment text we're talking about is at
the transfer-level.  That is, we're talking about the "debug text" in
the general reply format in CAP is currently:

     <transfer-level response-code>[; debug text ; more text]
     <CRLF>.<CRLF>
     [<application-data>]
     <CRLF>.<CRLF>

I don't see how the lang value of the application-data applies to the
debug text in the transfer-level.

-Steve

[email-masked] wrote:

> Im playing a bit of catch up so pardon any rehashing of responses
> already sent... (hack hack)
>
> that the optional stattext ("Everything was just hunky dory") could be
> in a language OTHER than English (the "i-default" that Chris refers
> to).  However I think that we are already covered by the LANG=
> property parameter that can be used:
>
> With i-default, a lack of LANG= falls back to being English
> (LANG=en).  I think that this is a non-issue unless I have
> misunderstood the snippet of Chris's comments...  (I leave it as
> exercise to the reader to confirm that RFC 2445 allows LANG= on
> REQUEST-STATUS...)
>
> Bruce
>
> ==========================================================================
>