Subject: Re: New Topic: Export of calendar data and metadata

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 10:46:58 -0500

Gilles:
In the iCalendar/iTIP/iMIP work that I have been doing with Lotus 
Notes/Domino, one of the first examples we did was to create an iCalendar 
object for import/export demonstration that contained all the Company 
Holidays in it.
Yes, the iCalendar data model handles such cases.
-- Frank

---

From: David Madeo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 11:42:38 -0500

[email-masked]

> There is an issue that does not seem to me to have been properly addressed:
> exporting holiday data. For interoperability it will be useful to
> import/export holiday data.

> This type of data is usually stored at the CS level and pertains to all its
> users. Let's think of a school, which will follow national holidays, state
> holidays, school board holiday and eventually special school events... Does
> the iCalendar model take this into account?

[email-masked] wrote:
> Notes/Domino, one of the first examples we did was to create an
> iCalendar object for import/export demonstration that contained all
> the Company Holidays in it.
> 

I suspect there's a subtext to this question which wasn't clarified.  
Some Calendar Servers treat Holidays as something special.   For
example, one that I'm familiar with automatically ignores instances of
repeating meetings which occur on a "holiday". 

It's hard to see how this scales though.  At our site, even though we
have company "holidays", there are some people who work on those days. 
I suspect that the best way to solve this is to have different "holiday"
calendars which individuals can sign up for in some way and are marked
as "NO CONFLICT".  The CS can then safely treat Holidays just like
anything else.

dmadeo