Subject: Re: New Topic: Export of calendar data and metadata

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 17:06:55 -0800

David Madeo wrote:
> 
> [email-masked] wrote:
> 
> >
> > Maybe I'm missing something here, but should it not be the responsibility of
> > the client to ensure that there is an export capability.  It seems to me
> > that all we need to declare is that an import/export capability be in
> > place.  Maybe we say it needs to be, at a minimum, ASCII format.  But, I
> > believe all we need to state is the capability must be there and it is
> > handled by the client software.
> 
> I'd like to make sure that we define what an "export" is, regardless of which
> client you happen to use.     CUA-1 exports just the calendar data, but not
> the metadata.  CUA-2 exports both.    I've lost data if I'm using CUA-1
> 
> I don't think this is a new function "EXPORT" or anything, though I'm
> interested if others think that is the way to go.  Personally, I suspect it
> will be a paragraph explaining what it means to export/import a calendar, and
> a list of queries.  The queries will extract a single calendar with both the
> calendar data as well as the metadata.  If everyone uses the same queries,
> then every product would produce identical export/import files, which is a
> good thing.

I agree, it should be possible for an administrative or super user account
to fetch everything - given a VCAR. Or to set anything - given a VCAR.

We would also need to explain that there would not be any kind if CS
supported incremental backup or restore. That would be up to a custom
CUA (or any CUA) to merge/mix/delete with a users help.  I see this part
of backup the same as disconnected/reconnected issues.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 12:20:17 -0500

Greg:
I think that the original question was about the iCalendar data model. Is 
it expressive enough for import/export of holiday definitions.
The answer is, yes it is. 
You are correct. Depending on what an individual means by "holidays", 
there is a different "authority" who defines and probably publishes these.
For Lotus Holidays (or our Pay Days, a holiday for my significant-other!), 
I got to Lotus HR for this information. I have been able to add it to my 
Notes calendar and then export it as an iCalendar object.
-- Frank