Subject: Re: CAP & Latency

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 11:36:06 -0500

Last week I replied in part with:
>Another subtle difference is that the rewritting server belongs to the 
same 
>'domain' that Doug does.  You wont find, say, myriad.com rewriting Dougs
>software.com address!  In Dougs diagram, CS-1 is doing the rewrite for 
>CUA-1.  However in the CAP case, it could be CS-2 (or an intermediate 
>CS-1.5) that >does the CAP->iTIP conversion and and such CANNOT do
>a rewrite safely!  (Assuming CS-1 didnt do a rewrite already that is). 

I should have been clearer in how I wrote this.  I was in a bit of a rush 
to get out for the holidays, I appologize.

Yes, a mail gateway into myriad.com would rewrite the return address such 
that Paul could easily reply to Doug via the gateway.  However, in the 
flow I originally described the return path would not be via CAP but 
rather via iTIP (iMIP).  As such, there is no guarantee that the addresses 
would get re-rewritten properly by the same CS (or MTA) that did the 
original rewrite.  (A closer analogy would be in via SMTP MTA and out via 
FAX Gateway...)

If the flow of data was via iTIP (iMIP) back to the rewritting CS and it 
in turn returned the reply back via CAP (or iTIP) to the proper 
destination then that would be a bit easier to swallow but as previously 
noted we do not have a path for data to follow out and inbound; we have a 
loop w/potentially no common points (part of my concern).

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: [email-masked]
Iris Associates                          Phone: 978.392.5335
Westford, MA, USA 01886                    FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...