Subject: quoted printable in DESCRIPTION

From: Antony Davies <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 11:14:05 -0500

I may need to process MS outlook generated vcalendar objects.
I am unsure if they are RFC2445 compliant, or perhaps to some earlier RFC,
but I dont think 'text' fields in RFC2445 allow quoted printable encoding
(ie  DESCRIPTION;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:text) the only thing
I saw explicitly mentioned was the backslash encoding.
Also the only use of ENCODING I saw explicitly mentioned was for the binary
type.

Is outlook generating an invalid  vcalendar object in this case?

TIA

-------------------------------------
Antony Davies,
Software, Research In Motion
[email-masked]

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 11:01:45 -0800

> Is outlook generating an invalid  vcalendar object in this case?

As the default charset for RFC2445 is UTF-8, why encode text as
iCalendar is 8-bit ready. Also, 'email' can be transfered in quoted
printable, the parsing end (Destination MUA), should un-encode them to
get the original (8-bit or otherwise) information. If not then what you
get is not what the original calendar had.

For VALUE=BINARY encoding is used because it may contain embedded
end-of-line characters or zeros.

-Doug