Subject: Clarification on W-19 CAP Group Definitions

From: [email-masked] (Steve Mansour)
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 15:27:58 -0800

From Bob Mahoney's W-19 CAP Group Definitions message:

     EXPAND          Return the members of the argument CSID.
     Successful
     result yields one or more Calendars and/or Resource
     Calendars.  More
     than one C or RC returned implies that the CSID was a CC.

     LOOKUP                      Return the members of the argument
     UPN.
     Successful result yields one or more CSIDs.  More than one
     CSID
     returned implies that the UPN was a UG.

I'm assuming the term "CSID" needs to be replaced with "CalID". It does
not make sense to expand a Calendar Store ID (that's it host and port).

-Steve

---

From: [email-masked] (Richard Shusterman)
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 15:51:06 -0800

Steve Mansour wrote:

>      LOOKUP                      Return the members of the
>      argument UPN.
> I'm assuming the term "CSID" needs to be replaced with "CalID". It
> does not make sense to expand a Calendar Store ID (that's it host and
> port).

Yes, and the text after LOOKUP should be changed to "...yields one or
more UPNs. More than one UPN..."

---

From: David Madeo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 22:01:33 -0500

> more UPNs. More than one UPN..."

Not to start a firestorm, but I have two points on this.

I suspect EXPAND and LOOKUP will be confused by countless calendar
developers from now on, since they both are similiar.  Perhaps
CALIDEXPAND and UPNEXPAND?

This should also be where we have a hook to the SLP to ask the server to
use it's version of SLP to figure out which calendar to book a
particular UPN against.  I'm all for smart clients that can use the SLP
to figure this out, but I'd also like to see the client be able to ask
the server to do this for it.

dmadeo

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 20:10:38 -0800

> CALIDEXPAND and UPNEXPAND?

I 2nd that!!

---

From: David Madeo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 09:38:30 -0500

> the server to do this for it.

SLPEXPAND   Returns one or more paired UPN's and CALID's for the
argument UPN.  More than one CALID would indicate that the UPN was a
User Group (UG).   This allows the client to request an Service Location
Protocol (SLP) lookup from the server.  

I think that the return value should match up the UPN and the CALID.  In
a simplifid form with no allowance for machine parsing, something like
this...

[email-masked]       calid://example.com/8489f9d8f
[email-masked]         calid://example.com/89djfad0f  

One question I have is whether it's acceptable to say "until the SLP
becomes an RFC, a server may use a private method to look this up".

dmadeo