Subject: GEO question

From: Pär Lannerö <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 11:48:27 +0100 (MET)

Hello!

We would like to get some more information concerning the GEO
property. In order for us to be able to use the GEO coordinates in a
GIS application we need to know what coordinate system to use. Ie.
what geographic datum, hemisphere, offset etc. The information seems
to be missing in RFC2445 (perhaps it's in the "Federal Information
Processing Standard 70-1, but where do I get _that_?).

Thanks!
/Par (SKiCal project)

-Pär-Lannerö----------------------------------------------------------
 mailto:[email-masked]        jobb:+46(0)8337785
 http://www.d.kth.se/~d92-pla/           hem:+46(0)853039951
 icq:306436                              gsm:+46(0)708/826888
----------------------------------------------------------------------
    <meta:matrix> - anpassar databaser till Internetåldern

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 14:01:29 -0500

"Pär Lannerö" wrote:

> In order for us to be able to use the GEO coordinates in a
> to be missing in RFC2445

? It looks to me like it's there:

     The longitude represents the
        location east or west of the prime meridian as a positive or
     negative
        real number, respectively.
     [...]
     Latitudes north of the equator shall be specified by a plus
     sign (+),
        or by the absence of a minus sign (-), preceding the digits
        designating degrees. Latitudes south of the Equator shall be

        designated by a minus sign (-) preceding the digits
     designating
        degrees. A point on the Equator shall be assigned to the
     Northern
        Hemisphere.

        Longitudes east of the prime meridian shall be specified by
     a plus
        sign (+), or by the absence of a minus sign (-), preceding
     the digits
        designating degrees. Longitudes west of the meridian shall
     be
        designated by minus sign (-) preceding the digits
     designating
        degrees. A point on the prime meridian shall be assigned to
     the
        Eastern Hemisphere. A point on the 180th meridian shall be
     assigned
        to the Western Hemisphere.
     [...]

Do you need something more than this?

It looks to me as if the mention of FIPS 70-1 is not normative (it's not
even in the References); the text just mentions it to make it clear that
the spec was copied from there.

--
/=================================================================\
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.   |
|Chief Scientist |================================================|
|eCal Corp.      |I'm not imaginary. I'm ontologically challenged.|
[email-masked]|                                                |
\=================================================================/

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 11:49:29 -0800

> Processing Standard 70-1, but where do I get _that_?).

We need to fix this.

FiPS 70-1 is not longer valid. It was withdrawn in 1994. 

See: http://www.itl.nist.gov/fipspubs/withdraw.htm

http://www.itl.nist.gov/fipspubs/index.htm

We need to fix this in iCal-2.