Subject: RFC 2445: "=" char is delimiter

From: Michael Krivoruchko <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 20:48:23 +0000

Hi All,

There are few quotation from RFC 2445:

>4.1 Content Lines
...
>     contentline        = name *(";" param ) ":" value CRLF
...
>     param              = param-name "=" param-value
...
>     param-value        = paramtext / quoted-string
>     paramtext  = *SAFE-CHAR
...
>     SAFE-CHAR  = WSP / %x21 / %x23-2B / %x2D-39 / %x3C-7E
>                / NON-US-ASCII
>     ; Any character except CTLs, DQUOTE, ";", ":", ","

As far as I can see, the "=" (%x3D) used as a delimiter in 'param'
rule and included in 'SAFE-CHAR' list at the same time.

Does it sound strange to anybody here except me?

Michael
-- 
---------------------------------------------------------------
Michael Krivoruchko                 CDE Group, Sun Microsystems
    Bool House, East Point Business Park, Dublin 3, Ireland
Ph: +353 1 819 9272                       E-mail: [email-masked]
---------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 13:38:09 -0800

> Does it sound strange to anybody here except me?

DTSTART;x-foo-param=key=value;VALUE=DATE;TZID=US/Eastern:19950603

Why not?

-Doug

---

From: Michael Krivoruchko <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 22:24:15 +0000

> DTSTART;x-foo-param=key=value;VALUE=DATE;TZID=US/Eastern:19950603
I did not say: It is impossible to imagine "=" within a parameter
value. I agree. It _is_ possible. But I think the parameter value
which contains "=" (as one of the delimiters) has to appear in
the 'quoted-string':

DTSTART;x-foo-param="key=value";VALUE=DATE;TZID=US/Eastern:19950603

It is, actually, implementation issue, but in the example above the
lexer need not "to know" the context of parsing.

Michael