Subject: Question for list

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 10:23:07 -0400

During interoperability testing the following question has been asked. Can 
the list please discuss their thoughts (especially our editors).  Thanks.

"iCalendar says "no ORGANIZER" parameter. iTIP says "ORGANIZER" is a 
must."

___________________
Patricia Egen Consulting
www.egenconsulting.com
423-875-2652

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve Mansour)
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 07:43:21 -0700

[email-masked] wrote:

> During interoperability testing the following question has been asked.
> Can the list please discuss their thoughts (especially our editors).
> Thanks.
>
> "iCalendar says "no ORGANIZER" parameter.

I'm assuming you mean "property"

> iTIP says "ORGANIZER" is a must."

I thought we had all agreed that iCalendar simply specifies a schema,
but it is up to individual protocols to specify the presence or absence
of a specific property. The protocol knows best what it needs and
doesn't need.  That's why we did the restriction tables in iTIP.  That's
why we're going to do restriction tables for CAP.

-Steve

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 07:13:39 -0700

[email-masked] wrote:
> "iCalendar says "no ORGANIZER" parameter. iTIP says "ORGANIZER" is a must."

I can't find the string 'no ORGANIZER' in RFC2445. Could you
me more specific? Thanks!

I think RFC2446 makes it clear:

  3.7.2 Attendee Property Considerations

   The "ORGANIZER" property is required on published events, to-dos, and
   journal entries for two reasons. First, only the "Organizer" is
   allowed to update and redistribute an event or to-do component. It
   follows that the "ORGANIZER" property MUST be present in the event,
   to-do, or journal entry component so that the CUA has a basis for
   contact for anyone who receives a published component in case of
   problems.

	...

Note that above the word 'published' is not upper case. So it
does *not* mean METHOD:PUBLISH.

And from RFC2445:

  4.8.4.3 Organizer

	...

   Conformance: This property MUST be specified in an iCalendar object
   that specifies a group scheduled calendar entity. This property MUST
   be specified in an iCalendar object that specifies the publication of
   a calendar user's busy time. This property MUST NOT be specified in
   an iCalendar object that specifies only a time zone definition or
   that defines calendar entities that are not group scheduled entities,
   but are entities only on a single user's calendar.

	...

I think the last part of the last sentence above is confusing:

	"...or that defines calendar entities that are not group
         scheduled entities,  but are entities only on a single user's        	
calendar."

This means that ORGANIZER is only relevant when the object is pushed
outside of the users original calendar. Although I don't see why
it can't be there.

-Doug