Subject: Re: Question for list

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 12:44:53 -0400

Mark:
This seems to make sense to me. 
So, If I take a personal "appointment" on my calendar and export it to a 
file system, as a PUBLISH method iCalendar object, it needs to have the 
ORGANIZER specified (value set to my MAILTO URL) and then it becomes a 
group-scheduled event. 
I guess I could also emit the event as a non-iTIP iCalendar object (just 
conforming to RFC2445) without the ORGANIZER or the METHOD. Right?
Thanks.
-- Frank

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve Mansour)
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 10:19:25 -0700

[email-masked] wrote:

> So, If I take a personal "appointment" on my calendar and export it to
> a file system, as a PUBLISH method iCalendar object, it needs to have
> the ORGANIZER specified (value set to my MAILTO URL) and then it
> becomes a group-scheduled event.
>
> I guess I could also emit the event as a non-iTIP iCalendar object
> (just conforming to RFC2445) without the ORGANIZER or the METHOD.
> Right?

Seems right to me. If I just wanted to archive a copy of an event for my
personal use, there is no need to use iTIP verbs.  It's only when the
goal is to interoperate in a generic fashion that using the iTIP
semantics comes into play. That way, all applications make the same
assumptions about how things are done, what will be present and what
won't.

-Steve

---

From: Mark Paterson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 18:14:42 -0400

At 12:44 PM 4/13/00 -0400, [email-masked] wrote:

Mark:

So, If I take a personal "appointment" on my calendar and export it to a file system, as a PUBLISH method iCalendar object, it needs to have the ORGANIZER specified (value set to my MAILTO URL) and then it becomes a group-scheduled event.

I guess I could also emit the event as a non-iTIP iCalendar object (just conforming to RFC2445) without the ORGANIZER or the METHOD. Right?

Sure. That seems reasonable. After all you aren't really trying to schedule people in this sort of example so what you suggest does the trick as well.

Mark

--

Mark Paterson ([email-masked])

Director, Client Development, CS&T - Lexacom