Subject: Re: VTIMEZONE and signular TZID

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 16:31:04 -0400

John Stracke wrote, in part:
>No, I meant VTIMEZONE.  Some entries would be the actual data (i.e.,
>VTIMEZONEs); others would be pointers to entries containing actual data 
(i.e.,
>TZIDs).

Actually, all entries in the IANA registry are valid VTIMEZONE component 
definitions. So, by definition, they must be complete (while they can be 
minimally complete) VTIMEZONE definitions. They would NOT be some empty 
component with only a TZID and TZID-ALIAS.
Right, Doug?

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 16:02:54 -0400

[email-masked] wrote:

> >VTIMEZONEs); others would be pointers to entries containing
> actual data (i.e.,
> >TZIDs).
>
> Actually, all entries in the IANA registry are valid VTIMEZONE
> component definitions.

Um...it doesn't yet exist, right? So it doesn't have to be one
way or another; it can be designed to be whatever seems to be The
Right Thing.

(Granted, if there are no entries the above is a true statement;
but only in the same sense that all ten-mile-tall reindeer are
green.  :-)

--
/==============================================================\
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.|
|Chief Scientist |=============================================|
|eCal Corp.      |But this one goes to 11x.                    |
[email-masked]|                                             |
\==============================================================/

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 18:55:23 -0700

> component with only a TZID and TZID-ALIAS.

I agree. I don't think we want to make a 'pointer' VTIMEZONE. I think
the TZALIAS would work to solve that problem.

-Doug