Subject: Re: VTIMEZONE and signular TZID

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 11:41:55 -0400

John Stracke wrote, in part:
>But then a given ID can't transition from one to the other (as in my 
Pennsylvania
>example).  I was thinking of doing it by IANA management: they would 
maintain a
>single list of IDs; the entry for each would be either a VTIMEZONE or a 
TZID.

The iCalendar spec says that prefixed TZID values are registered. We only 
have a single TZID per VTIMEZONE definition. The TZID-ALIAS is would not 
be a registered TZID, hence it can't have the prefix. The "transition" you 
mention would involve creating a new VTIMEZONE registration with the newly 
assigned TZID and include the old VTIMEZONE TZID value as a TZID-ALIAS 
value on the new VTIMEZONE registration.
Wouldn't that work okay?
-- Frank

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 12:06:39 -0400

[email-masked] wrote:

> The "transition" you mention would involve creating a new
> VTIMEZONE registration with the newly assigned TZID and include
> the old VTIMEZONE TZID value as a TZID-ALIAS value on the new
> VTIMEZONE registration.
>
> Wouldn't that work okay?

Uh...oh.  Yes, it would.  (An extra ongoing indirection layer,
but fine--it's not going to be a *common* case.) OK, then.

--
/================================================================\
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.  |
|Chief Scientist |===============================================|
|eCal Corp.      |For an engineer, paranoia is not an affliction;|
[email-masked]|it's a tool.                                   |
\================================================================/