Subject: Re: Question for list

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 12:27:28 -0400

Doug wrote a nice synposis and then wrote:
>This means that ORGANIZER is only relevant when the object is pushed
>outside of the users original calendar. Although I don't see why
>it can't be there.

An Organizer is used as the focal point in any group scheduling workflow. 
If I put a doctor appointment on my calendar for my reference only (and to 
block out busytime on searches) then what sense would ORGANIZER make then? 
 None really.  It COULD be there but its non-sensical, at least to me. 

The same can go for, say, an all day event like the Boston Marathon that I 
volunteer for.  I want to put it on my calendar to remind me that Ive 
commited myself for the entire day and to block it out on any busytime 
searches and prevent me from scheduling work related meetings that day. Im 
NOT scheduling the Marathon w/anyone else, just putting it on my calendar.

I fully grok the text of RFC 2446, Section 3.7.2 Attendee Property Considerations when it justifys WHY ORGANIZER is 
required (I probably argued for this @ one point myself Im sure).  I do 
not think we fully covered EVERY possible scenario when we wrote it.  That 
sections text requires that when I publish my Boston Marathon or doctors 
appointments using iTIP I MUST now include an ORGANIZER even if I dont 
have one on the entry originally!  This is not necessarily a good idea. 

The crux of this dilemma: I cannot use iTIP to backup / restore (or 
'publish') my calendar data via a METHOD:PUBLISH since not every entry has 
ORGANIZER and there would be no way to tell when the data can be removed 
on import.   We have no other METHOD value to use for 'publishing' entries 
w/o using METHOD:PUBLISH; Perhaps a new one is in order for these cases 
and it would not have the current MUST requirement...

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: [email-masked]
Iris Associates                          Phone: 978.392.5335
Westford, MA, USA 01886                    FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 08:54:50 -0700

> and it would not have the current MUST requirement...

ALL METHOD:PUBLISH components MUST have an ORGANIZER per
the iTIP restriction tables. Is there somewhere in iCal or iTIP
that says otherwise?

As to backup/restore  - TRUE - that' one reason for CAP. :-) 

CAP itself does not address backup/restore itself. But it does
allow you for synchronization to an external or roaming device.
So in effect you MUST be able to pull all entries out via CAP
and you must be able to put all in via CAP. There is just no
way with iTIP to do this - and iTIP was specifically designed
not to do this for security reasons. Again another reason
for direct access to your calendar - CAP.

-Doug

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve Mansour)
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 18:59:44 -0700

> and it would not have the current MUST requirement...

Bruce, why do you want to use iTIP for backup/restore?  That's not the sort of operation it was designed for.

-Steve