Subject: Re: Birthdays on Feb 29th

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 16:52:41 -0400

Damon asked:
>What is the recommended way of handling a birthday on 29th Feb?

iCalendar can be used to represent this if you _just_ want 29-Feb:

DTSTART:20000229
RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY;INTERVAL=4;BYMO=2;BYDAY=29

or

DTSTART:20000229
RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY;INTERVAL=4;BYYEARDAY=59

>Maybe a special case could be used, using the 60th day of the year.

Sounds right to me:

DTSTART:20000229
RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY;INTERVAL=1;BYYEARDAY=60

This would make it 29-Feb or 1-Mar depending on the year.  If you wanted 
it on 29-Feb or 28-Feb then you need to get trickier w/the RRULEs...

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: [email-masked]
Iris Associates                          Phone: 978.392.5335
Westford, MA, USA 01886                    FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 17:23:01 -0400

> RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY;INTERVAL=4;BYMO=2;BYDAY=29

'Course, that doesn't usually work when you hit a century year.
:-)

--
/==============================================================\
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.|
|Chief Scientist |=============================================|
|eCal Corp.      |Anyone who has a conditioned response        |
[email-masked]|immediately thinks of Pavlov.                |
\==============================================================/