Subject: RFC 2445 & RECURRENCE-ID

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 15:06:02 -0400

In doing some serious brain frying on the recurrence subtlties Ive run 
across what I think is an oversight on our part when defining 
RECURRENCE-ID in RFC 2445:

   If the value of the "DTSTART" property is a DATE type value, then the
   value MUST be the calendar date for the recurrence instance.

is OK _if_ the RRULE contains no BYHOUR, BYMINUTE or BYSECOND when the DTSTART is a 
DATE only value.  If it did then we have no way to target a specific 
recurrence on that day!  There are 2 possible cases here:

1: It is "illegal" to have a DTSTART with a DATE value and then to have a 
time related BY* value on the RRULE or
2: If the RRULE does contain time limiter then RECURRENCE-ID is allowed to 
have a time component as well EVEN IF DTSTART does not.

#1 can be 'fixed' by further additions to the text defining recurrence 
rule data types.  Since Frank is already in that area for prior postings 
its not that big a deal.

#2 can be fixed by refining the quoted text slightly.

Thoughts?  Comments? Chip & hot sauce??

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: [email-masked]
Iris Associates                          Phone: 978.392.5335
Westford, MA, USA 01886                    FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...