Subject: Timezones: STANDARD vs. DAYLIGHT; RDATE definition

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 14:34:27 -0400

It seems to me that there's no actual difference between STANDARD
and DAYLIGHT subcomponents of VTIMEZONE; they're treated
identically, and the two different words are just for clarity to
human readers.  Am I wrong?

Also, this sounds odd to me:

     Alternatively, the "RDATE" property can be used to
     define the onset of the observance by giving the
     individual onset date and times.  "RDATE" in this usage
     MUST be specified as a local DATE-TIME value in UTC
     time.

"Local" usually means "in the local timezone", which is pretty
much the opposite of "in UTC time".  Am I missing something?

--
/==============================================================\
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.|
|Chief Scientist |=============================================|
|eCal Corp.      |So what's the gene for belief in genetic     |
[email-masked]|determinism?                                 |
\==============================================================/

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 01:33:13 -0700

> human readers.  Am I wrong?

That's how I read it. Some (few) places have more than two per year.
Too bad we only have two names.

> much the opposite of "in UTC time".  Am I missing something?

I read this to mean - Local time in UTC:

US/Pacific is 7/8 hours from UTC. It is now about 1:30 local time,
or about 8:30 UTC. Two hours ago it would have been 23:30 local time
or (6:30 UTC - the next day).

I don't remember why it had to be in UTC however.

-Doug