Subject: Re: CALSCH Action Items

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 14:25:37 -0400

Doug:
I remember the discussion on the list.
Problem is, iCalendar doesn't address MIME other than to register a 
text/calendar MIME type.
MIME encapsulation is addressed in iTIP and iMIP, though.
-- Frank

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 12:33:17 -0700

> MIME encapsulation is addressed in iTIP and iMIP, though.

1) The ONLY way to do a "external MIMIE entity" as described below,
   is if iCal support MULTIPART/RELATED. 

   (iCal) 4.1.3 Binary Content

     Binary content information in an iCalendar object SHOULD be
     referenced using a URI within a property value. That is the binary
     content information SHOULD be placed in an external MIME entity that
     can be referenced by a URI from within the iCalendar object. In
     applications where this is not feasible, binary content information

2)  And in (iCal) 4.8.4.2 Contact:

	...
   The following is an example of this property with an alternate
   representation of a MIME body part containing the contact
   information, such as a vCard [RFC 2426] embedded in a [MIME-DIR]
   content-type:

     CONTACT;ALTREP="CID=<[email-masked]>":Jim
       Dolittle\, ABC Industries\, +1-919-555-1234

   The ONLY way to do a CID, is with MULTIPART/RELATED.

3) Nowhere in RFC2445, do we say it is kinda-MIME, but not all of it.

-Doug