Subject: Re: Change management properties

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 12:51:07 -0400

Steve:
You replied to Federico with:
>> RFC 2445 also says that when the organizer makes changes to a number
>> of properties, the CUA should increment the value of the SEQUENCE
>> property; these properties are enumerated in the spec.  However, it
>> also says that
>>
>>         In addition, changes made by the "Organizer" to other
>>         properties can also force the sequence number to be
>>         incremented.  The "Organizer" CUA MUST increment the sequence
>>         number when ever [SIC] it makes changes to properties in the
>>         calendar component that the "Organizer" deems will jeopardize
>>         the validity of the participation status of the "Attendees".
>>         For example, changing the location of a meeting from one
>>         locale to another distant locale could effectively impact the
>>         participation status of the "Attendees".
>>
>> So from a CUA user interface perspective, when should the sequence
>> number change?  Should it change if the old and new values for the
>> LOCATION property are different?
>>
>> It strikes me as funny that the specification says "MUST" when it is
>> the organizer who has to think something may happen... :-)
>
>Agreed.  I remember we debated this for a long time. However, there was
>clear-cut right or wrong way to do this. You mentioned the LOCATION
>property above. Even with this property, it is not always clear what to
>do.  If I move the LOCATION of a meeting from its initial location to a
>room across the hall, it could be argued that no SEQUENCE change is
>needed. However, if the location moves from San Jose CA, to London,
>England then it's a pretty significant move and attendees need to be
>aware.
>
>We needed somebody to make a call on a case-by-case basis. So, we finally
>settled on leaving it up to the Organizer.

Your last sentence seems to imply that you are not conformant to iCalendar 
for the cases where the SEQUENCE number value MUST be incremented. I 
believe that RFC2445 indicates that changes to DTSTART and DTEND (for 
example) require increments to the SEQUENCE number.
-- Frank

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve Mansour)
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 10:21:55 -0700

[email-masked] wrote:

> Your last sentence seems to imply that you are not conformant to
> iCalendar for the cases where the SEQUENCE number value MUST be
> incremented. I believe that RFC2445 indicates that changes to DTSTART
> and DTEND (for example) require increments to the SEQUENCE number.
>
> -- Frank

You are correct.  If dtstart or dtend change, you gotta bump the
sequence number. No one had an issue with that.

-Steve