Subject: Re: iRIP and CAP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 11:58:06 -0400

John replied with:
>> This note is to query the list as to whether it needs to be
>> re-opened or scrapped.  There is an opinion that much of iRIP
>> is in CAP and does not really need to be a separate draft..
>
>It might be a good idea to have a draft specifying how to use CAP
>for iRIP-like functionality.  I'm thinking of a profile document,
>rather than a separate protocol, specifying a subset of CAP and
>the security considerations for the subset.

So it sounds like 1 vote to let iRIP expire.  Or did I misread your 
meaning?

Im also one who (quite a long time ago) voiced the thought that iRIP 
looked like CAP (or at least "CAP Lite" sic!).  While we did design iTIP 
so that we could later build iRIP, it seems that the WG has decided to 
forgo iRIP in favor of the snazzier CAP.  I think that iRIP would be a 
very very useful learning step for building CAP (and fixing up any 
mistakes or crocs we find while building iRIP) but Im in the minority. 
(Something I remember from childhood about "Learning to walk before 
learning to do marathons..." or some such idea)

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: [email-masked]
Iris Associates                          Phone: 978.392.5335
Westford, MA, USA 01886                    FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 12:05:09 -0400

[email-masked] wrote:

> So it sounds like 1 vote to let iRIP expire.  Or did I misread
> your meaning?

Mmm...I would actually prefer to see iRIP exist; I think
real-time iTIP has value.  But, if we can't do iRIP, then we
should do the subset.

Hmm.  OK, so Bruce and I want to finish iRIP.  I'm willing to
work on it; Bruce, are you? Does anybody have any objections to
seeing iRIP completed and standardized?

--
/==============================================================\
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.|
|Chief Scientist |=============================================|
|eCal Corp.      |Solipsists have all the fun.                 |
[email-masked]|                                             |
\==============================================================/