Subject: I-4: ALARMID?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 10:47:48 -0400

While coming up for some air I skimmed the latest AI list.  I found one 
entry that Im curious about:

I-4 Add ALARMID to VALARM ?                                              Y

Im curious about this since A) we covered IDs for alarms many many moon 
ago and B) I dont recall any traffic this topic for the list.

The last time we put this issue to rest we had agreement that since alarms 
were not stand alone critters they didnt need their own IDs.  It appears 
as if someone is resurecting this.  Can someone enlighten me as to where 
this came from and how it can be Done w/o any group discussion?? 

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: [email-masked]
Iris Associates                          Phone: 978.392.5335
Westford, MA, USA 01886                    FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 08:40:18 -0700

[email-masked] wrote:
> The last time we put this issue to rest we had agreement that since
> alarms were not stand alone critters they didnt need their own IDs.  It
> appears as if someone is resurecting this.  Can someone enlighten me as
> to where this came from and how it can be Done w/o any group discussion??

It was on the list or at an IETF meeting - I forget which.

ALARMID's are needed CAP because it would be impossible to
modify an alarm without being able to identify which of multiple
alarms in a component would be the target of the METHOD:MODIFY.

-Doug