Subject: Re: Updates to iTIP/iMIP RFCs

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 22:12:52 -0400

>As long as we are breaking up the REQUEST method, I'd like to see the
>reschedule and update tasks broken out with a new METHOD, say UPDATE. 
This
>would mirror the conceptual difference between a new request and a change
>to a scheduled meeting. Then, case (b) above would fall under UPDATE

So, you get an UPDATE for an event that you don't have in your calendar? 
Is it to be ignored?
I prefer the current semantics of REQUEST for invitations and 
rescheduling. A "rescheduling" of an event for a person that is just now 
being invited is just an "invitation" or REQUEST. Keeping rescheduling and 
invitations as REQUEST seems more appropriate.
However, updates to the ;PARTSTAT parameter or the STATUS property seems 
quite different and is the semantics of a CONFIRMation in many a C&S 
system. This seems to also be aliased in the current reuse of the REQUEST.
One is hardpressed today to figure out if a REQUEST is for an 
invitation/reschedule or for a confirmation/status update.
This distinction clearly needs to be clarified with the proposed change 
request.
-- Frank

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve Mansour)
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 20:55:30 -0700

[email-masked] wrote:

> So, you get an UPDATE for an event that you don't have in your
> calendar? Is it to be ignored?
>
> rescheduling. A "rescheduling" of an event for a person that is just
> now being invited is just an "invitation" or REQUEST. Keeping
> rescheduling and invitations as REQUEST seems more appropriate.
>
> However, updates to the ;PARTSTAT parameter or the STATUS property
> seems quite different and is the semantics of a CONFIRMation in many a
> C&S system. This seems to also be aliased in the current reuse of the
> REQUEST.
>
> This distinction clearly needs to be clarified with the proposed
> change request.

Just to clarify...

If the Organizer is resending an event to all the Attendees and the
*only* change is to the PARTSTAT parameter of one or more ATTENDEEs we
should make the METHOD be CONFIRM rather than REQUEST.

Is that correct?

-Steve