Subject: Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-stracke-calsch-crisp-00.txt

From: Bob Mahoney <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 08:06:43 -0400

In case anyone missed this morning's announcement- this is John's 
draft that came out of the CAP/iRIP discussion.  -Bob

>To: IETF-Announce:;@loki.ietf.org
>From: [email-masked]
>Reply-To: [email-masked]
>Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-stracke-calsch-crisp-00.txt
>Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 06:51:44 -0400
>Sender: [email-masked]
>
>
>
>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
>directories.
>
>
>	Title		: CAP Realtime iTIP-based Scheduling Profile (CRISP)
>	Author(s)	: J. Stracke
>	Filename	: draft-stracke-calsch-crisp-00.txt
>	Pages		: 3
>	Date		: 09-Aug-00
>
>This document sets forth a restricted profile of [CAP], one which
>supports no operations beyond the scheduling functionality of [iTIP].
>The motivation is to permit use of CAP's real-time iTIP functionality
>without exposing the calendar access functionality (which may require
>stricter security controls than iTIP).
>
>A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-stracke-calsch-crisp-00.txt
>
>Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
>"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
>type "cd internet-drafts" and then
>	"get draft-stracke-calsch-crisp-00.txt".
>
>A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
>http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
>or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt
>
>
>Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.
>
>Send a message to:
>	[email-masked].
>In the body type:
>	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-stracke-calsch-crisp-00.txt".
>
>NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
>	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
>	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
>	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
>	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
>	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
>	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
>	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
>	how to manipulate these messages.
>
>
>Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
>implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
>Internet-Draft.
>
>
>[The following attachment must be fetched by mail. Command-click the 
>URL below and send the resulting message to get the attachment.]
><mailto:[email-masked]?body=ENCODING%20mime%0D%0AFILE%20/internet-drafts/draft-stracke-calsch-crisp-00.txt>
>[The following attachment must be fetched by ftp.  Command-click the 
>URL below to ask your ftp client to fetch it.]
><ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-stracke-calsch-crisp-00.txt>

---

From: Eric Busboom <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 14:16:10 -0700 (PDT)

iRIP had a SWITCH command so an iRIP client could initiate an outgoing
connection though a firewall and then become a server, letting a remote
client send components that it otherwise would not be able to. 

The CRISP draft mentions a relaying server that is placed outside of the
firewall, presumably for the same purpose, but with a different model: in
CRISP, there is a machine outside the firewall, but in iRIP all machines
could be inside the firewall. 

Is the CRISP model sufficient to replace the SWITCH command? I don't know
that it it not, but I'd like to be (reletively) certain that the SWITCH
command is forever gone, since it has some design implications. 

eric.

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 12:19:58 -0400

> command is forever gone, since it has some design implications.

CRISP is a subset of CAP.  CAP doesn't have it, so CRISP won't.

Moreover, I suspect that, even if CAP had SWITCH, then CRISP would not; it
sounds like a truly terrifying prospect, from a security standpoint, and
CRISP is meant to be less terrifying than CAP.

--
/==============================================================\
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.|
|Chief Scientist |=============================================|
|eCal Corp.      |There are many intelligent species in the    |
[email-masked]|cosmos. All are owned by cats.               |
\==============================================================/