Subject: Re: Registration of text/calendar MIME property GEO_BOUNDS

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 15:30:20 -0400

>Why does this make a difference? You reschedule, you send out a
>new iCalendar with, maybe, a new timezone.  It's still
>unambiguous.

John:
I repeat...I don't think that you and Doug Royer had the same scenarios 
for "picking time zones".
As I remember Doug was focused on using a CAP server to help a CUA 
determine what the property time zone was, based on geopositioning 
information.
Hence, in this scenario each time you go and schedule you will be checking 
a CAP service somewhere to find out "now what time zone am I in now". 
As Bruce pointed out, you may be using different CUAs for the initial 
invite and the reschedule and I would like to point out that these two 
iTIP/iMIP operations might be in different time zones.
So, it's not a question of getting a new time zone information prior to 
the rescheduling operation, but getting numerous time zone information 
choices and having to pick one to use for the reschedule.
We need to be clear and unambiguous about how a CUA is to choose which of 
a number of possible choice it should use. Bruce is pointing out that the 
choice necessitates both the CUA and the possible intervention of a CU.
Given this, I don't see how we can codify this. Our task isn't to involve 
UI standardization. Not really sure it should involve MCI design either.
-- Frank

-- Frank

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 15:41:44 -0400

[email-masked] wrote:

> I repeat...I don't think that you and Doug Royer had the same
> scenarios for "picking time zones".
>
> As I remember Doug was focused on using a CAP server to help a
> CUA determine what the property time zone was, based on
> geopositioning information.

Yeah, that's what I have in mind, too.

> Hence, in this scenario each time you go and schedule you will
> be checking a CAP service somewhere to find out "now what time
> zone am I in now".

(Not necessarily *each* time, but yeah.)

> As Bruce pointed out, you may be using different CUAs for the
> initial invite and the reschedule and I would like to point out
> that these two iTIP/iMIP operations might be in different time
> zones.

(a) I don't think two CUAs should ever behave differently,
because the only correct behavior is "ask the user".

(b) Even if this does come up, I still don't think it's an
interop problem.  Even if the initial invitation and the
reschedule come out with different time zones, what is it going
to affect? The recipient's CUA will to translate the event's time
into their local time, and everybody will agree on when to show
up.

> Given this, I don't see how we can codify this.

I think we just have to say, "CUA, if you find more than one
timezone for a location, ask the user.  Don't guess."  This can't
be normative, because it doesn't affect interop; but it can be
strong advice.

--
/================================================================\
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.  |
|Chief Scientist |===============================================|
|eCal Corp.      |The cheapest, fastest, most reliable components|
[email-masked]|of a computer system are those that aren't     |
|                |there.--Gordon Bell                            |
\================================================================/