Subject: Re: Subject: Registration of text/calendar MIME property REQUEST-STATUS

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 17:54:01 -0400

Doug thoughtfully replied:
>Its one
>of the bugs in iCalendar what was discussed (a lot).

We did cover it but I do not recall it being a bug; rather than an 
oversight (even w/UTF8 as the character set).  In any case, _how_ does CAP need it??  If there is no CAP reason for it, Im dubious about 
making this change that is not backwards compatible.

>How about one SPACE character for when it does not apply?

The contents are not mandated; just the presence of contents. As such, 
there is no reason that a single ASCII SPACE character could not be used. 
For the 2.0 "Success" case this may be ok but for all the other the 
non-2.0 cases where the statdesc may be somewhat useful, a SPACE is not 
going to cut it.  Are you saying that the 2.0 case justifys sending a 
SPACE only for this and as such it should be optional for all cases (and 
hence this proposed change)??

There are plenty of other statcodes besides 2.0 to justify having it 
still.  This is NON BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE change for 1 particular case (or 
maybe handful of particular cases that have yet to be shown) that I would 
like justified before we just do it.  Before we make such a change 
compelling reasons should be demonstrated!

If you really want to fix things, lets talk about RRULEs...

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: [email-masked]
Iris Associates                          Phone: 978.392.5335
Westford, MA, USA 01886                    FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 16:44:11 -0700

[email-masked] wrote:

> going to cut it.

No text was mandaded for non-2.0 cases, so why is SPACE invalid?

> Are you saying that the 2.0 case justifys sending a

Noting in RFC2445 said what was to be sent. No format, no data,
nothing. So a single SPACE is valid per RFC2445 now.

When is it not valid?

-Doug