Subject: Re: Registration of text/calendar MIME property GEO_BOUNDS

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 13:19:43 -0400

John replied:
>> Not quite.  Ever COUNTER or reschedule an entry on your
>> calendar??  Changes do happen (at least on my calendar)...
>
>Why does this make a difference? You reschedule, you send out a
>new iCalendar with, maybe, a new timezone.  It's still
>unambiguous.

You're not getting my point.  Yes, once specified its unambiguious.  Its 
making sure that the CUA picks the right one in the first place...  If 
each CUA picks differently for the same location, you dont interop well...

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: [email-masked]
Iris Associates                          Phone: 978.392.5335
Westford, MA, USA 01886                    FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 14:09:19 -0400

[email-masked] wrote:

> You're not getting my point.  Yes, once specified its
> unambiguious.  Its making sure that the CUA picks the right one
> in the first place...

"The right one" is the one the user picks.  It has to be that
way.  When there are multiple timezones for a location, there is
absolutely no way for any automated system to know which one the
user wants; it's an AI-complete problem.  Are you going to build
a CUA that understands the user's politics?

> If each CUA picks differently for the same location, you dont
> interop well...

Not at all.  Different timezones for the same location have no
impact on interop, because exactly one goes over the wire.  The
recipient doesn't pick a timezone based on LOCATION; they read it
out of the TZID and VTIMEZONE.

--
/================================================================\
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.  |
|Chief Scientist |===============================================|
|eCal Corp.      |All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't|
[email-masked]|make me happy.                                 |
\================================================================/