Subject: Re: Registration of text/calendar MIME property GEO_BOUNDS

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 12:05:17 -0400

[email-masked] wrote:

> >I don't think it is an interop problem, actually; the timezone
>
> >choice occurs *before* the iCalendar is composed and sent over
>
> >the wire.
>
> Yes, once selected the CUA can store the selection but that
> does not help in _picking_ the selection...
>
> So, please explain to me _exactly_ how 2 (or more) separate
> CUAs will accuratly pick the proper VTimeZone to use for
> Phoenix AZ or Paris, France w/o intervention or interaction
> w/the CU.  If the CAP server indicates that there are > 1
> VTimeZone in effect for that location (based on GEO_BOUNDS or
> OS setting or some other inputs) then just how will _all_ CAP
> complaint CUAs accurately select not only the proper VTimeZone
> but also the _same_ one?

They don't *need* to.  As I said above, the timezone is selected
once per event, by the creator of the event.  After that, it's
determined, and the picking doesn't happen again.  It doesn't
*matter* if two separate users make two separate choices for two
separate events in the same place.  Each event is self-describing
and self-contained; there is no ambiguity.

--
/=================================================================\
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.   |
|Chief Scientist |================================================|
|eCal Corp.      |I will not buy this .signature, it is scratched.|
[email-masked]|                                                |
\=================================================================/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 11:58:48 -0400

When John replied with:
>> Ok, let me make my concern a bit sharper: I am 95% against
>> having the CUA doing the choosing by itself (I can think of
>> some cases where it MAY be ok but very very few).  This is the
>> interop nightmare.
>

Yes, once selected the CUA can store the selection but that does not help 
in _picking_ the selection...

So, please explain to me _exactly_ how 2 (or more) separate CUAs will 
accuratly pick the proper VTimeZone to use for Phoenix AZ or Paris, France 
w/o intervention or interaction w/the CU.  If the CAP server indicates 
that there are > 1 VTimeZone in effect for that location (based on 
GEO_BOUNDS or OS setting or some other inputs) then just how will _all_ 
CAP complaint CUAs accurately select not only the proper VTimeZone but 
also the _same_ one?

My answer: They cannot w/o CU intervention!  As such, the current "Just 
pick one" solution will be a nightmare to interop test and for mobile CUs!

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: [email-masked]
Iris Associates                          Phone: 978.392.5335
Westford, MA, USA 01886                    FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...