Subject: Re: Registration of text/calendar MIME property GEO_BOUNDS

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 12:38:43 -0400

John replied:
>As I said above, the timezone is selected
>once per event, by the creator of the event.  After that, it's
>determined, and the picking doesn't happen again.

Not quite.  Ever COUNTER or reschedule an entry on your calendar?? Changes 
do happen (at least on my calendar)...

>It doesn't
>*matter* if two separate users make two separate choices for two
>separate events in the same place.

Ahh, thats just fine if entries do not move when reschedule (or COUNTERed) 
but they can and will so the case cannot just be ignored or wished away... 
 Especially for the mobile user who are more likely to use GEO_BOUNDS.

There is also the case of a CU using > 1 CUAs (ie: 2 browsers on the same 
system) to do C&S.  They may use CUA1 when on their 'beefy' work system 
and CUA2 for their mobile needs (ie: their PDA, their laptop).  These CU 
are going to expect that creating an entry for the same TZ should result 
in the proper TZ settings being selected and used.  If both CUAs do not 
follow the same methodology for selecting the TZ initially, this wont 
happen and nirvana wont be achievable.

Also, it _does_ matter if we are both trying to schedule an entry for the 
same room and my CUA incorrectly says DST is in use for 6 months and I get 
misbooked for that time frame but your CUA (in the same 
company/organization/team) "behaves correctly" and get the correct TZ 
definition.  I wind up being misbooked or not being able to get the room 
when it truely is available....

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: [email-masked]
Iris Associates                          Phone: 978.392.5335
Westford, MA, USA 01886                    FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 12:45:13 -0400

[email-masked] wrote:

> Not quite.  Ever COUNTER or reschedule an entry on your
> calendar??  Changes do happen (at least on my calendar)...

Why does this make a difference? You reschedule, you send out a
new iCalendar with, maybe, a new timezone.  It's still
unambiguous.

--
/==============================================================\
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.|
|Chief Scientist |=============================================|
|eCal Corp.      |There are many intelligent species in the    |
[email-masked]|cosmos. All are owned by cats.               |
\==============================================================/