Subject: Re: iTIP: Who sent that message?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 11:33:12 -0400

Folks:
I have thought about this some more. 
I think that the proposal to add an ATT-COUNTER parameter to the ATTENDEE 
property present backwards compatibility with iCalendar RFC2445 products. 
An alternative proposal would be to have an ATT-COUNTER property, instead.
If we think about what this semantic means, it is similar to the ORGANIZER 
property. The attendee making the COUNTER proposal is effectively 
proposing a new event, similar to a tentative invitation proposal. As 
such, I believe that you all would agree that making this a property, 
instead of an ATTENDEE property parameter is a better design approach.
For backwards compatibility, a RFC2445 compatible parser is supposed to 
skip any unrecognized properties, as these may have been IANA registered 
extensions anyway.
Don't you all agree?
-- Frank

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 12:11:52 -0400

[email-masked] wrote:

> For backwards compatibility, a RFC2445 compatible parser is
> supposed to skip any unrecognized properties, as these may have
> been IANA registered extensions anyway.

Shouldn't the same be said of unrecognized parameters?

(I'm not opposing using a property, mind you; I like the argument
that ATT-COUNTER is parallel to ORGANIZER.)

--
/=================================================================\
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.   |
|Chief Scientist |================================================|
|eCal Corp.      |No matter how tempting the prospect of unlimited|
[email-masked]|power, I will not consume any energy field      |
|                |bigger than my head.                            |
\=================================================================/

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve Mansour)
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 09:41:34 -0700

[email-masked] wrote:

> I think that the proposal to add an ATT-COUNTER parameter to the
> ATTENDEE property present backwards compatibility with iCalendar
> RFC2445 products.
>
> ...

I'm fine with this.

-Steve