Subject: Subject: Registration of text/calendar MIME property TRANSP

From: George Babics <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 16:46:35 -0400

Note: This has been changed from the original definition in iCAL by adding the
      TRANSPARENT-NOCONFLICT and OPAQUE-NOCONFLICT values. Changes needed by CAP.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

   To: [email-masked]

   Subject: Registration of text/calendar MIME property TRANSP

   Property name: TRANSP

   Property purpose: This property defines whether an event is transparent or not to
   busy time searches.

   Propery value type: TEXT

   Property parameters: Non-standard property parameters can be specified
   on this property.

   Conformance: This property can be specified once in a "VEVENT" calendar
   component.

   Description: Time Transparency is the characteristic of an event that
   determines whether it appears to consume time on a calendar. Events that
   consume actual time for the individual or resource associated with the
   calendar SHOULD be recorded as OPAQUE or OPAQUE-NOCONFLICT, allowing
   them to be detected by free-busy time searches. If no other event can
   overlap such an event, then it SHOULD be recorded as OPAQUE-NOCONFLICT,
   otherwise it SHOULD be recorded as OPAQUE. Other events, which do not
   take up the individual's (or resource's) time SHOULD be recorded as
   TRANSPARENT or TRANSPARENT-NOCONFLICT, making them invisible to free-busy
   time searches. TRANSPARENT-NOCONFLICT SHOULD be used when no other
   OPAQUE or OPAQUE-NOCONFLICT event can overlap it, otherwise TRANSPARENT
   SHOULD be used.

   Format Definition: The property is specified by the following notation:

   transp       = "TRANSP" tranparam ":" transvalue CRLF

   tranparam    = *(";" xparam)

   transvalue   = "OPAQUE"      ;Blocks or opaque on busy time searches.

                / "TRANSPARENT" ;Transparent on busy time searches.

                / "TRANSPARENT-NOCONFLICT"  ; Transparent on busy time
                                            ; searches and no other OPAQUE
                                            ; or OPAQUE-NOCONFLICT event
                                            ; can overlap it.

                / "OPAQUE-NOCONFLICT"       ; Opaque on busy time
                                            ; searches and no other OPAQUE
                                            ; or OPAQUE-NOCONFLICT event
                                            ; can overlap it.
                                            ;
                                            ;Default value is OPAQUE

   Example: The following is an example of this property for an event that
   is transparent or does not block on free/busy time searches:

     TRANSP:TRANSPARENT

   The following is an example of this property for an event that is opaque
   or blocks on free/busy time searches:

     TRANSP:OPAQUE

   The following is an example of this property for an event that is opaque
   or blocks on free/busy time searches plus no other event can overlap it:

     TRANSP:OPAQUE-NOCONFLICT