Subject: Re: iTIP: Who sent that message?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 14:41:21 -0400

Steve wrote:
>However, only the ORGANIZER can remove a participant.  The down side to 
this approach is that you can't change the Attendees.

Actually, if you read iTIP the text in the restriction table talkes about 
the person countering being able to add Attendees.  Since the COUNTER is a 
full snapshot, I dont see any reason that a COUNTER could not be used to 
indicate to the Organzier that an Attendee should be removed.  In fact, if 
the delta between the Organizers copy and the COUNTER (assuming no 
SEQUENCE changes and that property parameters are ignored) should indicate 
this just fine. 

Yes, only the Organzier has the authority to remove Attendees but theres 
nothing precluding someone _suggesting_ it in a COUNTER...

In RFC 2446, Section 3.2.7 you see the text:

   The "COUNTER" method for a "VEVENT" calendar component is used by an
   "Attendee" of an existing event to submit to the "Organizer" a
   counter proposal to the event description. The "Attendee" sends this
   message to the "Organizer" of the event.

   The counter proposal is an iCalendar object consisting of a VEVENT
   calendar component describing the complete description of the
   alternate event.

I claim that "complete description" includes those attending it and as 
such, a COUNTER conveys the removal intent (as well as rescheduling, etc) 
to the Organzier.

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: [email-masked]
Iris Associates                          Phone: 978.392.5335
Westford, MA, USA 01886                    FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...

---

From: Steve Mansour <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 13:58:30 -0700

[email-masked] wrote:

>
> Steve wrote:
> >However, only the ORGANIZER can remove a participant.  The down side
> to this approach is that you can't change the Attendees.
>
> Actually, if you read iTIP the text in the restriction table talkes
> about the person countering being able to add Attendees.  Since the
> COUNTER is a full snapshot, I dont see any reason that a COUNTER could
> not be used to indicate to the Organzier that an Attendee should be
> removed.  In fact, if the delta between the Organizers copy and the
> COUNTER (assuming no SEQUENCE changes and that property parameters are
> ignored) should indicate this just fine.
>
> Yes, only the Organzier has the authority to remove Attendees but
> theres nothing precluding someone _suggesting_ it in a COUNTER...

agreed.

> such, a COUNTER conveys the removal intent (as well as rescheduling,
> etc) to the Organzier.

I agree.  I'll suggest an update here when making the fixes to iTIP.

-Steve