Subject: VCOMMAND Specification

From: George Babics <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 11:08:13 -0400

The only definition or specification given about VCOMMAND and
CMDID are in section 2.7 of CAP:

 *  A new iCalendar   component, VCOMMAND, has been added. VCOMMANDs are
 needed to fully   specify  CAP commands.

 *  TARGET is a new   property within   the VCOMMAND component. It indicates
 the calendars to which the command applies

 *  CMDID is a Command ID that is used in a   VCOMMAND to uniquely identify
 a command.  Responses to a VCOMMAND will contain the same CMDID.

  If I understand it correctly:

  - VCOMMANDs are required for all CAP commands? (Or what is it meant by
    "fully specify"?)
  - CMDIDs are specified only with VCOMMAND?
  - TARGETs are only specified in VCOMMAND?

  If the above is true, then why are there many examples of CAP
commands without VCOMMANDs, and TARGETs and CMDIDs outside of VCOMMANDs?
(Perhaps VCOMMAND was added in a latter version of the draft and some
of the examples were not updated.)

  If the above is false, then can someone clarify the meaning and
purpose of VCOMMAND.

Thanks,
  George

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve Mansour)
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 08:26:55 -0700

>   - VCOMMANDs are required for all CAP commands? (Or what is it meant by

"fully specify" is misleading, it should be removed.  VCOMMANDs are the way to
specify a CAP command.

>   - TARGETs are only specified in VCOMMAND?

yep

> of the examples were not updated.)

The examples are messed up.

-Steve