Subject: Re: iTIP & Repeat/DUE/Duration restrictions

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 14:56:00 -0400

That change sounds accurate to me.  Make it so Mr Editor...

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: [email-masked]
Iris Associates                          Phone: 978.392.5335
Westford, MA, USA 01886                    FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 14:54:03 -0400

Frank backtracked with:

>I can have an event that has no DTEND, DUE or DURATION yet repeats. One 
case is the following: 
>...
>DTSTART;VALUE=DATE:20000714
>RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY
>SUMMARY:Bastille Day Fete

Whoa Hoss!  Are you claiming that Bastille Day lasts 365 days a year 
starting on 14-Jul-2000??  I doubt it!!  So, you are making an implicit 
assumption about the DUE / DURATION / DTEND.  There are 2 possible 
assumptions you are making:

1: A DTSTART;VALUE=DATE with no DTEND/DUE/DURATION has an implicit 
DUE/DTEND (or derived DURATION) of the same DATE or
2: If there is no DUE / DTEND / DURATION, no matter the DTSTART data type 
then there is an implied value of that same DATE (or DATE-TIME)

Which are you assuming??  Option #1 is the most likely but either one is 
bad as it is not clear to the rest of the world how Frank would answer 
every case. :^b 

FWIW: _DO NOT ASSUME_ when trying to make a standard that is to used to 
interoperate!!  It only leads to big problems or dis-interoperability 
later on!  We should avoid either assumption you are making and fix the 
oversight.  So, unless Frank or someone can give me an real example of an 
entry that starts but never ends and has no duration BUT can repeat, I 
suggest we add this to our change list for the next update.

Also, in double checking against RFC 2445 I see that your original 
Bastille Day example was non-repeating AND it had a DTEND:

     BEGIN:VCALENDAR
     VERSION:2.0
     PRODID:-//hacksw/handcal//NONSGML v1.0//EN
     BEGIN:VEVENT
     DTSTART:19970714T170000Z
     DTEND:19970715T035959Z
     SUMMARY:Bastille Day Party
     END:VEVENT
     END:VCALENDAR

Bruce