Subject: RFC 2445 Issue: Mixed DATE and DATE-TIME

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 12:06:07 -0400

In quickly glancing at the nice list Frank and Eric put together I wanted 
to revisit one topic:

6  Open     ICR    Mixed DATE and DATE-TIME

The linked page msg02600 
(http://www.imc.org/ietf-calendar/mail-archive/msg02600.html) reads in 
part:

The value types for DTSTART, DTEND, DUE, RDATE, EXDATE, RRULE/EXRULE (for
UNTIL value components) MUST match types.

One caveat to this is recurrence rules and the ability to have BYHOUR, 
BYMINUTE, BYSECOND.  Perhaps this is addressed in one of the other issues 
but if there a DTSTART;VALUE=DATE and an RRULE:...,BYHOUR=8,9 then the 
RRULE does NOT match the type of the DTSTART.  I pointed this out recently 
but noone responded that I saw.  I did it WRT RECURRENCE-ID and the 
requirement that the data type match DTSTART but there was a BYHOUR on the 
RRULE...

Ill let the wordsmiths work on the proper text for dealing with this case. 
 I would suggest that recurrence rules be precluded from having BYxxx 
values that generate data points that are not of the same data type. 
(Chalk it up on the list of growing recurrence rule changes...)

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: [email-masked]
Iris Associates                          Phone: 978.392.5335
Westford, MA, USA 01886                    FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...