Subject: Re: iCalendar

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 12:02:10 -0400

Toran asked:
>Is there any software that uses iCalendar?

There are several packages that implement iCalendar to one degree or 
another.  There is Lotus Organzier (5.x or 6.x).  Sun has a Calendar 
Server that supports it.  Some versions of Outlook (Express too??) support 
it.  Lotus Notes will have it soon.  Exchange is to get it soon too. There 
is also Eric B's nifty libical package you can check out.  There are other 
vendors that also support iCalendar to various degrees but in order to 
avoid overlooking some, Id hope they chime in with "We support it in 
product X"...

>Where can I get more information
>of how to use iCalendar?

Not sure if you want an implementors guide (which is a draft that is being 
worked on by some folks in this WG) or if you want a "Users Guide" for 
educating users about what iCalendar is and what it is used for.  The 
former can be found at http://www.imc.org/draft-ietf-calsch-imp-guide but 
the latter doesnt exist.  Thats a job best done outside this WG...

>I am interested to know it looks like.

I would suggest you browse the RFC 2445 to get an understanding of what 
iCalendar is.  Then really read the RFCs 2446 & 2447 to get a better 
understanding of what iCalendar looks like in actual use. 

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: [email-masked]
Iris Associates                          Phone: 978.392.5335
Westford, MA, USA 01886                    FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...

---

From: Damon Chaplin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 18:28:41 +0100

[email-masked] wrote:
> There are several packages that implement iCalendar to one degree or another.  There is Lotus Organzier (5.x or 6.x).  Sun has a Calendar Server that supports
> it.  Some versions of Outlook (Express too??) support it.  Lotus Notes will have it soon.  Exchange is to get it soon too.  There is also Eric B's nifty
> libical package you can check out.  There are other vendors that also support iCalendar to various degrees but in order to avoid overlooking some, Id hope
> they chime in with "We support it in product X"...

OK. We (Helix Code) support it as the native format in Evolution, via libical.

Evolution is a free (GPL'ed) mailer/calendar/organizer for Unix systems, running under
the Gnome environment. Release 1.0 should be in a few months. (http://www.helixcode.com)

Damon

---

From: "Colin DuPlantis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 07:01:39 -0700

> > There are other vendors that also support iCalendar to various degrees
but in order to avoid overlooking some, Id hope
> > they chime in with "We support it in product X"...

On that note, Critical Path supports a subset of iCalendar within iCAP, a
CAP-like protocol in our EventCenter (now known as InSchedule) product.
This is a commercial product, nominally targeted at user communities in the
100s and up, which provides web enabled calendaring.  More info:
http://www.cp.net/products/insch_cal_overview.html.  Thanks!

- C

---

From: [email-masked] (Richard Shusterman)
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 13:55:59 -0700

[email-masked] wrote:

> Server that supports it.  Some versions of Outlook (Express too??)
> support it.  Lotus Notes will have it soon.  Exchange is to get it
> soon too.  There is also Eric B's nifty libical package you can check
> out.  There are other vendors that also support iCalendar to various
> degrees but in order to avoid overlooking some, Id hope they chime in
> with "We support it in product X"...

iPlanet Calendar Server also supports iCalendar. Check it out at:

http://www.iplanet.com/products/infrastructure/messaging/ics/index.html

Our current version is 2.1 but we are about to release 5.0