Subject: Problem with Modify an Instance of Recurring Events ? RFC2445 & 46

From: "Nitin Shingne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 09:53:56 GMT

Hi All,

Step1: Create a recurring event starting on 4th October and
	recurres everyday till 14th Oct.
	assume 	UID:[email-masked]
		SEQUENCE:0
		RID:20001004T100000Z
		...... & rest of the properties....

Step2: Modify an instance of this recurring event. say the one of 8th
Oct. Change the start time to 11 AM. According to RFC 2446 only the
Sequence number shall be incremented
	so the values shall be as
		UID:[email-masked]
		SEQUENCE:1
		RID:20001008T110000Z

Step3: Now modify all the instances of the recurring instance by
selecting the one dated	4th Oct to change the start time to 12PM.
	so the values shall be as
		UID:[email-masked]
		SEQUENCE:1
		RID:20001004T120000Z

Question: Now how do I differentiate between the event on 8th & other
events.	e.g. I now delete event dated 4th & all it's recurring
instances, then how shall I avoid deleting the event dated 8th Oct.?

Is it that the event created in Step 2 should have been assigned a new UID?

thanks & regards,
nitin
[email-masked]
_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.

Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at 
http://profiles.msn.com.

---

From: Eric Busboom <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 11:06:15 -0700 (PDT)

> instances, then how shall I avoid deleting the event dated 8th Oct.?

Nitin, 

I suspect that you will have to explicitly compare each of the occurrences
to the original event to determine that any of them has been modified. It
seems that SEQUENCE is only used to distinguish revisions of a component
within a single pair of UID and RECURRENCE-ID. I don't think it was
intended for the use you suggest. 

Specifically regarding deletes, why wouldn't you want to delete the
8th? I'd expect that the 8th is still part of the set of recurring events,
and if you are going to delete the set, you'd delete the 8th also,
regardless of any modifications you make to it.
 
If your recurring event is a daily status meeting ( I *hate* those) and
you come to your senses and want to cancel all of them, why wouldn't you
want to cancel the one that you had to move later in the afternoon?

If you intend to change the event on the 8th so something else entirely --
you decide to skip the status meeting and hold a going away lunch for the
people who left the company because of your dreadful status meetings, then
you should CANCEL the meeting on the 8th and schedule a new meeting on the
8th, with a new UID. 

eric.