Subject: Re: What good are stored VQUERYs?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 13:52:45 -0500

Doug wrote on 12/06/2002 07:04:27 PM:
> > if I stored the QUERY?  Why isnt the TARGET from the VCALENDAR 
> > sufficient to find the VQUERY in RELCALID01?
> 
> Only when the stored query is in the current TARGET. The VQUERY
> TARGET is for when it is not - I'll update the draft to say
> that TARGET is used in the VQUERY when the stored QUERY is not
> in the CMD-TARGET.

Hmmm.  Dont forget to add some relevant text with cavats about accessing 
stored VQUERYs in a different VAGENDA than the one(s) that are TARGETed.

I can see being able to use a stored query from one of my other calendar 
(ie: the one I stored in my "work" calendar when searching my "personal" 
calendar).  However there are some big security concerns to factor in when 
trying to use a TARGET that I may not have access to.  That is, I try to 
search my calendar using my boses "SALARY_SUMMARY" stored query could 
result in either me getting some data OR being rejected by the CS since I 
do not have the ability to read the stored query to use it...  The failure 
case for this scenario need to be clearly defined so its not left to the 
implementors imagination.  (Its a different failure than "query not found" 
since it may exist but Im rejected for security reasons...)

> > Hmm, are you trying to use a stored VQUERY from a someone elses 
> > calendar, is that it??
> 
> Yes - see this WG list over the last few months.

Did a search and didnt see any thread on it.  Can you refer to some 
threads I may have missed?

I for one see this as being in the 5 category in the 95/5 Rule.  It may be 
a niceity but I certainly do not expect to store querys for others OR use 
theirs on _my_ calendar in the average course of things.  What kind of 
scenario does this realistically happen on a frequent basis to warrant its 
inclusion in the design?? 

Bruce
PS: Im back from a ~4 week vacation that I really needed and have lots to 
catch up on.  Ill try to keep resolved thread resurections to an absolute 
minimum...
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: 
[email-masked]
Messaging & Collaboration                 Phone: 978.399.6496
IBM Software Group                         FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...