Subject: iSIP applicability note

From: Pekka Pessi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 20:33:38 +0300

Hello all,

	I have drafted the following applicability statement for iSIP. 
	The text tries to sums up the intended applications for iSIP,
	and the limitations of SIP instant message service.

	Does anyone have other concerns about the statement? 

					Pekka

1.1 Applicability of iSIP

   This subsection describes how iSIP may be useful within Internet.

   iSIP is used by systems whose main purpose is to set up communication
   sessions using Session Initiation Protocol (SIP). iSIP can be used to
   exchange calendaring information between such systems, when the main
   purpose of that exchange is to agree on suitable time, virtual venue
   and participants for a future SIP-based communication session. iSIP
   can be used to publish calendaring information when the main purpose
   is to announce availability of a person or a device for
   communication, or to announce participant roles or resources
   available within a communication session.

   iSIP does not replace iMAP or CAP as a protocol for exchanging
   generic calendaring information. Entities using iSIP may use iMAP or
   CAP when the instant delivery of a SIP message is not possible, e.g.,
   because a recipient is out of network coverage at the moment.

---

From: "Seamus Garvey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 10:53:49 -0700

I think this could be an incredibly useful tool, especially if
integrated into IM applications or WAP enabled devices that already
store schedule info.  

Seamus J. Garvey

(925) 368-4700 (mobile)
(703) 991-2654 (fax)

Subject: iSIP applicability note
From: "Pekka Pessi" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 10:33:38 -0700

	Hello all,

					Pekka

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 14:10:49 -0400

Pekka Pessi wrote:

>   iSIP can be used to
>   and participants for a future SIP-based communication session.
>
I don't really see why this is useful.  I mean, if I need to schedule a 
phone conference, I don't use the phone; if I need to schedule a 
face-to-face meeting, I don't go talk to someone face-to-face.  I use 
iMIP.  It would be silly to expect my CUA to choose between iMIP and 
iSIP based on what I'm going to be doing in the session.

Now, I suppose there are cases where SIP is the only protocol already 
available, and so you want to add a SIP binding for iTIP, rather than 
adding email to the device.  That could be reasonable; and it could be 
that such cases correlate with cases where you're scheduling a SIP 
session.  If so, you should say so; the statement as it stands seems 
dubious.

-- 
/=================================================================\
|John Stracke      [email-masked]                          |
|Principal Engineer|http://www.centive.com                        |
|Centive           |My opinions are my own.                       |
|=================================================================|
|"How can one conceive of a one party system in a country that has|
|over 200 varieties of cheese?" --Charles de Gaulle               |
\=================================================================/