Subject: Re: CAP & busytime? - CUA-BOT

From: "Preston Stephenson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 06:21:43 -0700

Thank you for taking your time to respond and you patience.
I understand there are different ways to architect the functionality.
I just need further clarification.

The CAP specification states that it supports the iTIP functionality.
Does that mean?

1) CAP specifies that the iTIP functionaly is performed by the CUA.
2) The CS is just that, a store.
3) The CS does not perform any of the iTIP functionality.

Thanks.
Preston

>>> [email-masked] 4/1/2003 5:39:11 PM >>>
Preston Stephenson wrote:
> Sorry, I didn't speak clearly before.
... (see below...)

I think you are saying that your VCAR (decreed or not) does
not allow VFREEBUSY to be stored in your CS.
That is fine.

I also think that you are saying that your CS will magically
somehow provide a valid VFREEBUSY to requesting CUA's.
That is is also fine. However CAP does not mandate or specify
how that is done. In effect you have a mini-CUA (BOT) built into
your CS that deposits (from the CUA's point of view) VFREEBUSY
components into each calendar (when in reality you probably
generate them dynamically and on the fly).

I do not see that you are breaking CAP.

Another approach is for a CS to not generate them AND
not allow CUA to deposit them at which point the CS would
NOT supply VFREEBUSY in its COMPONENTS CAPABILITY reply
and a CUA would know to never ask that CS.

Another approach is for the CS to allow a CUA to deposit
and fetch VFREEBUSY components just like any other iTIP
components, and then some CUA (BOT?) must then manage the
VFREEBUSY on the CS.

One of the reasons that we dropped automatically processing
VFREEBUSY processing on the CS was there is going to be
a LARGE debate on how its contents are going to be generated.

    Must I include all OPAQUE object times?

    What if I do not want to? Why can I not
    write a custom CS that is for my business that
    takes into account company hours and holidays.
    Would I have to make entries in my company calendar
    that block out closed times? What if I want the
    results of a VFREEBUSY request to be dynamic so that
    my BOSS get to schedule in my 'do no bother me time'
    but non-BOSS CU's see it at blocked.

    Would I have to generate components in my
    calendar for the time I am normally sleeping?
    If not what is to keep that from being considered
    free time? I schedule with people around the world.

    Must the BUSY time match the booked objects in the
    calendar?

    Can I set aside time for travel? As in I want 15 minutes
    before and after all meetings at LOCATION:x automatically.

    Why can't I allow each user to specify how their VFREEBUSY
    time is generated?

    What happens when a user goes on vacation?
         If some of the appointments are already OPAQUE/NOCONFLICT
         in the calendar when they go on vacation, they can not enter
         any 1-week entries in their calendar so they have to create
         a series of entries that work around the booked NOCONFLICT
         time. Why can't I just have my CUA deposit a VFREEBUSY that
         shows the vacation time as busy?

    Can I turn on/off the CS's ability to automatically
    generate VFREEBUSY times.

I think it is best left to a separate draft.

Preston Stephenson wrote:
> Sorry, I didn't speak clearly before.
> I'm saying that as a [my] CS,  I don't have the capability to store
> VFREEBUSY information.
> If a CUA tries to create a VFREEBUSY object on my CS, The CS will
have
> to reply that the capability is not supported.
> I on the other hand as a CS, I can generate and return VFREEBUSY
> information upon request.
> 
> I'm trying to map the CAP / iMIP / iTIP functionality onto an
existing
> product.
> I don't want to write a new program that just supports CAP.
> It would be easier to provide the iTIP functionality through CAP
> without having to re-architect my existing application.
> 
> Preston Stephenson
> [email-masked] 

-- 

  Doug Royer                     |   http://INET-Consulting.com 
  -------------------------------|-----------------------------
  [email-masked]                 | Office: (208)612-INET
  http://Royer.com/People/Doug   |    Fax: (866)594-8574
                                 |   Cell: (208)520-4044

                 We Do Standards - You Need Standards