Subject: Re: How do you get the METHOD property on a SEARCH

From: "Preston Stephenson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 11:07:27 -0600

Thanks, I see where I went wrong.
 
Some on the commands restrict the reply to only one VCALENDAR object.
For example on the create,
   create-reply   = "BEGIN" ":" "VCALENDAR" CRLF
                     creply-props
                     1*(create-vreply)
                     "END" ":" "VCALENDAR" CRLF
 
It would be helpful to me if the documentation included explicit ABNF
for the reply on each of the commands.

Thanks.
Preston

>>> [email-masked] 4/7/2003 10:31:14 AM >>>

Preston Stephenson wrote:
> I'm still a little confused.
> On the query, I used an ID on the SEARCH command.
> How do I match up multiple VCALENDAR objects to one SEARCH command
> VCALENDAR object?

If the original command contained 'ID=xxx' then
they contain 'CMD;ID=xxx:REPLY'.

In draft...-10:

            reply-cmd    = replyparam ":" "REPLY"

           replyparam   = *(

                      ; The 'id' parameter value MUST BE exactly the
                         ; same as the value sent in the original
                         ; CMD property. If the original CMD did
                         ; not have an 'id' parameter, then the 'id'
                         ; MUST NOT be supplied in the REPLY.

                         id-param

                         ; the following is optional,
                         ; and MAY occur more than once

                         / other-params

                         )

> How do I know there are multiple REPLY commands with the same ID?
> How do I know when there won't be any more REPLY commands to the one
> ID?

It is valid ABNF to include multiple VCALENDAR objects as one
MIME body part. It is specified in 2445. We have not modified that
syntax. So, then can be in the same MIME body part

Or:

I for one do not see it as a problem to just keep reading until the
end of the BEEP exchange. When the BEEP exchange is done, you have
all of the replies.

-- 

  Doug Royer                     |   http://INET-Consulting.com 
  -------------------------------|-----------------------------
  [email-masked]                 | Office: (208)612-INET
  http://Royer.com/People/Doug   |    Fax: (866)594-8574
                                 |   Cell: (208)520-4044

                 We Do Standards - You Need Standards

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 11:57:58 -0600

Thanks but bad example :-) Create would not return METHOD.

However for SEARCH it does say (And only SEARCH would return METHOD
properties from the stored objects):

   The data in each result contains an iCalendar object composed of all
    the selected components enclosed in a "VREPLY" component.  Only
    "REQUEST-STATUS" property and the properties mentioned in the
    "SELECT" clause of the QUERY are included in the components.  Each
    iCalendar object is tagged with the "TARGET" property.

I will update the text! from "an iCalendar" to "one or more iCalendar".
And add text about grouped by METHOD (or any IANA property ... blurb...).

> for the reply on each of the commands.

For SEARCH it can be just about anything.

--