Subject: [calsify] AD review of draft-ietf-calext-availability-02.txt

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2016 10:06:41 +0100

Hi,
I think the document is in a good shape. In addition to minor points 
raised by the document shepherd, I have one small nit:

3.1.  VAVAILABILITY Component

    availabilityprop  = *(
                     ;
                     ; the following are REQUIRED,
                     ; but MUST NOT occur more than once
                     ;
                     dtstamp / uid
                     ;
                     ; the following are OPTIONAL,
                     ; but MUST NOT occur more than once
                     ;
                     busytype / class / created / description /

But draft-ietf-calext-extensions-03, Section 5.3 says:

    Conformance:  This property can be specified multiple times in an
       iCalendar object.  However, each property MUST represent the
       description of the calendar in a different language.

                     dtstart / last-mod / location / organizer /
                     priority /seq / summary / url /

Similarly:

    availableprop  = *(
                  ;
                  ; the following are REQUIRED,
                  ; but MUST NOT occur more than once
                  ;
                  dtstamp / dtstart / uid /
                  ;
                  ; Either 'dtend' or 'duration' MAY appear in
                  ; an 'availableprop', but 'dtend' and
                  ; 'duration' MUST NOT occur in the same
                  ; 'availableprop'.
                  ;
                  dtend / duration /

                  ;
                  ; the following are OPTIONAL,
                  ; but MUST NOT occur more than once
                  ;
                  created / description / last-mod /

the comment for description is not correct.

                  location / recurid / rrule / summary /

Otherwise the document looks good to me.

Best Regards,
Alexey

---

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2016 07:45:12 -0400

Hi Alexey,

> raised by the document shepherd, I have one small nit:

OK, thanks for your review, and to Daniel for his. I also have comments 
from Bernard as the iCalendar registry expert to address as well. I am 
working out of town this week and won't have a chance to address the 
reviews until I am back, but hopefully should do so early next week.

-- 
Cyrus Daboo

---

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2016 10:35:20 -0400

Hi Alexey,

>        description of the calendar in a different language.

OK, so the issue here is that 5545 states that the DESCRIPTION propertycan 
only be present once in VEVENT, VTODO, etc, and the availability spec does 
the same via the ABNF comment. However, draft-ietf-calext-extensions-03 
extends the use of DESCRIPTION to the VCALENDAR item ("iCalendar object") 
as an optional, but multiply occurring item - with each occurrence 
representing a potentially different language representation.

At this point I propose changing draft-ietf-calext-extensions-03 to 
restrict DESCRIPTION to be "OPTIONAL, MUST NOT occur more than once" to 
match its behavior elsewhere. For multiple language support we should 
instead to be looking at using STYLED-DESCRIPTION as defined in 
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-douglass-calendar-extension-05#section-5.2>, 
a draft I am hoping this WG will eventually adopt.

Obviously this is a change to draft-ietf-calext-extensions-03 after it has 
gone through WGLC - so we will need to process it accordingly.

-- 
Cyrus Daboo