Subject: [Capwap] More suggested change on CAPWAP Architecture Taxonomy document

From: "Yang, Lily L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 16:50:07 -0700

In light of the following comment on CAPWAP Problem Statement, we would
propose to add a new subsection in v05 of CAPWAP Taxonomy document to
highlight the physical security issues for Centralized Architecture as
well:
----- proposed new text -------------------------- 
4.8.3 "Physical security of WTP and AC"
WTPs are often installed in locations that are difficult to secure
physically in order to provide comprehensive radio coverage, while it is
relatively easier to secure the AC physically.  If high-value secrets,
such as a RADIUS shared secret, are stored in the AC instead of WTPs,
then the physical loss of an WTP does not compromise these values.
Hence, the Centralized Architecture may reduce the security consequences
of a stolen WTP.   
On the other hand, concentrating all of the high-value secrets in one
place makes the AC an attractive target, and so strict physical,
procedural and technical controls are needed to protect the secrets.
-----------end of new text ----

--------- comment from AAA doctor: on
<draft-ietf-capwap-problem-statement-01.txt > CAPWAP Problem Statement
(Informational) 
This document is very good. One additional item that could perhaps be
discussed in the security considerations section is related to problem
#4, securing a distributed set of access points. I think problem #4
implies that people want to move some of the tasks of the APs to the
controller so that the compromise of an access point would not
compromise, say, a RADIUS shared secret or perhaps not even some of the
keys used to protect the link layer. Security considederations does not
point this out. It does say something about looking into physical
security, but perhaps it could be expanded into that as well as the
assignment of security parameters to the different parts of the system.

---

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 09:03:41 -0700

Just a minor editorial nit...

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Yang, Lily L" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 2004 4:50 PM
Subject: [Capwap] More suggested change on CAPWAP Architecture Taxonomy
document

----- proposed new text -------------------------- 

jak>>> How about "assets" instead of "values"?

-----------end of new text ----

_______________________________________________
Capwap mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap