Subject: RE: [Capwap] Important: please provide input on comment resolution for CAPWAP Taxonomy draft

From: "Pat R. Calhoun" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 07:46:53 -0700

The comment may be valid in light of 802.11r. I'd argue that the text
remains since we need to be cognizant of not only current IEEE
standards, but also the ones in progress.

PatC 
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Chunduru Rama Krishna Prasad
Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2004 5:27 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Capwap] Important: please provide input on comment
resolution for CAPWAP Taxonomy draft

hi all,

I am not sure, I am right on this. My impression is that, PMK is on per
Authenticator MAC address.
If the station is re-associated with new WTP (different MAC address),
then it would not even send PMKID of old AP. If there is no PMKID found
in reassoc event, AC would start with full 802.1x authentication. If the
station is reassociating with an AP, to which it already established PMK
before, then station sends PMKID and in that case only 4 way key
handshake is requried to get the PTK.
With respect to this, I am not sure whether the statement 'If PMK is
shared across multiple WTP' is valid. If not, the whole statement can be
removed from the draft

Regards
Rama Krishna Prasad

Ch. Rama Krishna Prasad
Intoto Software(I) Pvt Ltd,
Uma Plaza, Nagarjuna circle,
Panjagutta. Hyderabad, AP
Tel No:s  2335 8927/8928/8434

_______________________________________________
Capwap mailing list
[email-masked] http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

_______________________________________________
Capwap mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap
_______________________________________________
Capwap mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

---

From: "Michael Montemurro" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 11:11:45 -0400

I'd agree that the text should likely remain. However, there should be
work done (likely in both IEEE and IETF) to modify the key hierarchy to
address this case.

	Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Pat R. Calhoun [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2004 10:47 AM
To: Michael Montemurro; Chunduru Rama Krishna Prasad;
[email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Capwap] Important: please provide input on comment
resolution for CAPWAP Taxonomy draft

PatC 
-----Original Message-----

hi all,

I am not sure, I am right on this. My impression is that, PMK is on per
Authenticator MAC address. If the station is re-associated with new WTP
(different MAC address), then it would not even send PMKID of old AP. If
there is no PMKID found in reassoc event, AC would start with full
802.1x authentication. If the station is reassociating with an AP, to
which it already established PMK before, then station sends PMKID and in
that case only 4 way key handshake is requried to get the PTK. With
respect to this, I am not sure whether the statement 'If PMK is shared
across multiple WTP' is valid. If not, the whole statement can be
removed from the draft

Regards
Rama Krishna Prasad

Ch. Rama Krishna Prasad