Subject: [Capwap] Refined recharter proposal.

From: "Mani, Mahalingam (Mahalingam)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 10:21:20 -0600

The following recharter proposal is sent to IESG. It has included
considerations discussed in the IETF60 meeting and in the WG list -
hopefully.

Comments are welcome.

-Mani, Dorothy
========================================================================
==
The original CAPWAP WG charter included drafting a problem statement and
a taxonomy of architectures. The new charter of the CAPWAP WG proposes
building upon the original charter and developing a CAPWAP protocol to
provide interoperability among WLAN backend architectures.
The intent of the CAPWAP protocol is to facilitate control, management
and provisioning of WLAN Termination Points (WTPs) specifying the
services, functions and resources relating to 802.11 WLAN Termination
Points in order to allow for interoperable implementations of WTPs and
ACs.

The revised CAPWAP WG will reference two classes of the Centralized WLAN
Architecture family, namely the Local MAC and the Split MAC, as
described in the CAPWAP Architecture Taxonomy draft. The protocol will
define the CAPWAP control plane including the primitives to control data
access. An effective Centralized CAPWAP Architecture impacts how WLAN
data traffic is managed over the backend network.
This implies the abiltiy to control how data is forwarded by negotiating
exisitng data encapsulation mechanisms and specifing data payload
formats in order to ensure intoperability between CAPWAP vendors. No
other specifications of the CAPWAP data plane are within the scope of
this charter.

The CAPWAP WG will strive for extensibility in the protocol design to
favor future applicability to other access technologies. However, this
is not a requirement. The charter's focus is to address the WLAN
architectures based on the IEEE 802.11 Standard.

In summary, the primary goals of the group will be:

1. Defining a set of Objectives based on the architecture taxonomy work
that lists the requirements for an interoperable CAPWAP protocol. In
addition, the WG will incorporate requirements derived from the inputs
provided by Enterprise and (hotspot) Providers based on the WLAN
deployment challenges addressed by CAPWAP architecture. This document
will:
   a. include objectives to address problems described in the CAPWAP
Problem statement work
   b. Describe each objective, its benefit to the protocol and how it
satisfies the problem statement.
   c. Prioritize and classify the objectives into 3 categories:

        i. Mandatory and Accepted
        ii. Desirable
        iii. Rejected

   d. Undergo review in IEEE as needed

This should result in the first WG last call for Objectives draft.

To avoid requirements bloat and stalemate, the WG has an imposed hard
deadline on the Objectives phase. The WG MUST reach WG consensus on the
objectives draft by Feb 2005. This is for several reasons:
    * We must send this for review to IEEE at that time.
    * We must have a reasonably stable set of objectives so that
candidate submissions are aware of the objectives to be met.

The 2nd WG Last Call (in April) for the objectives draft is to ensure
that the WG has consensus on any changes that may result from IEEE and
expert review. So it is not the intention that the WG keeps adding new
Objectives after Feb 2005.

If the WG cannot reach concensus on the Objectives draft by the May 05
milestone to the IESG, the WG will close.

2. Evaluating a set of candidate proposals that include existing IETF
protocols and any proposals leading to the selection of a protocol on
which to base the CAPWAP standard.

3. Developing a CAPWAP protocol standard that meets the Mandatory and
Accepted objectives from the Evaluation draft and contains the minimal
set of feature needed to control and provision WLAN Access Points.
Specifically The CAPWAP protocol document will address the following
considerations:
    a. Architecture
    b. Operations
    c. Security
    d. Network Management
    e. Scalability
    f. Performance

4. A MIB Document to support the CAPWAP protocol.

In addition, the CAPWAP WG will maintain its Liaison with the IEEE to
ensure consistency of its work with the IEEE 802.11 Standard.

Deliverables:
    * Objectives/Criteria Document for CAPWAP protocol
    * Protocol evaluation and base protocol selection document
    * CAPWAP Protocol standard
    * MIB support standard

Goals and Milestones:

Nov 04: Issue first Internet-Draft of CAPWAP Objectives document
Feb 05: First WGLC for CAPWAP Objectives Draft Feb 05: Submit CAPWAP
Objectives to IEEE/IETF experts review
Mar 05: Deadline to submit candidate protocol proposals to the WG
Apr 05: Second WGLC for CAPWAP Objectives Draft
May 05: Submit CAPWAP Objectives draft to IESG as Informational RFC
May 05: Shutdown WG if CAPWAP Objectives have not finalized, otherwise
continue with next milestones.
Jun 05: Issue first Internet-Draft of CAPWAP Evaluation draft
Aug 05: WGLC for CAPWAP Evaluation draft
Sep 05: Submit CAPWAP Evaluation draft to IESG as Information RFC
Oct 05: Issue first Internet Draft of CAPWAP protocol
Nov 05: Issue first Internet-Draft of CAPWAP MIB.
Dec 05: WGLC for CAPWAP protocol
Jan 06: Submit CAPWAP protocol to IESG as Proposed Standard RFC
Jan 06: WGLC for CAPWAP MIB
Mar 06: Submit CAPWAP MIB to IESG as Proposed Standard RFC

_______________________________________________
Capwap mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap