Subject: NSPW 2000 Call For Papers

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 09:07:46 -0500

========================================================================
                            Call For Papers
                  New Security Paradigms Workshop 2000
                    An ACM/SIGSAC sponsored workshop
                         19 - 21 September 2000
                   Ballycotton, County Cork, Ireland
                          http://www.nspw.org/
========================================================================

For eight years, the New Security Paradigms Workshop has provided a
productive and highly interactive forum in which innovative new
approaches (and some radical older approaches) to computer security have
been offered, explored, refined, and published. The workshop offers a
constructive environment where experienced researchers and practitioners
work alongside newer participants in the field.  The result is a unique
opportunity to exchange ideas.

New Security Paradigms Workshop (NSPW) 2000 will take place September 19
- 21, 2000 at the Bayview Hotel, Ballycotton, a 45 minute drive from the
Cork airport. In order to preserve the small, intimate nature of the
workshop, participation is limited to authors of accepted papers and
conference organizers. Because these are new paradigms, we cannot
predict what subjects will be covered. Any paper that presents a
significant shift in thinking about difficult security issues or builds
on a previous shift will be welcomed.

The New Security Paradigms Workshop is highly interactive in nature.
Authors are encouraged to present ideas that might be considered risky
in some other forum. All participants are charged with providing
feedback in a constructive manner. The resulting brainstorming
environment has proven to be an excellent medium for furthering the
development of these ideas. The proceedings, published after the
workshop, have consistently benefited from the inclusion of workshop
feedback.

To participate, please submit your paper, justification, and attendance
statement, preferably via e-mail, to both Program Chairs -- Cristina
Serban ([email-masked]) and Brenda Timmerman ([email-masked]) --
by Friday, March 31, 2000 (hardcopy submissions must be received by
Friday, March 24, 2000). Further details on the required format of
submissions follow.

1 - Your Paper
You should submit either a research paper, a 5 - 10 page position paper,
or a discussion topic proposal. Submissions of any type must not have
been published elsewhere. Discussion topic proposals should include an
in-depth description of the topic to be discussed, a convincing argument
that the topic will lead to a lively discussion, and any other
supporting materials.

Softcopy submissions should be in Postscript or ASCII format. Papers may
be submitted in hardcopy. To submit hardcopy, please mail 5 (five)
copies to Program co-chair Cristina Serban. Please allow adequate time
for delivery.

2 - Justification
You should describe, in one page or less, why your paper is appropriate
for the New Security Paradigms Workshop. A good justification will
describe the new paradigm being proposed, explain how it is a departure
from existing theory or practice, and identify those aspects of the
status quo it challenges or rejects.

3 - Attendance Statement
You should state how many authors wish to attend the workshop. Accepted
papers require the attendance of at least one author. In order to ensure
that all papers receive equally strong feedback, all attendees are
expected to stay for the entire duration of the workshop.

The program committee will referee the papers and notify the authors of
acceptance status by June 9, 2000. We expect to be able to offer a
limited number of scholarships. More information will be provided on our
web site (http://www.nspw.org/) as it becomes available.

Workshop Co-Chairs

Mary Ellen Zurko                 Steven J. Greenwald
Iris Associates                  2521 NE 135th Street
230 Nashua Rd.                   North Miami, FL 33181 USA
Groton, MA 01450 USA             e-mail: [email-masked]
e-mail: [email-masked]          voice: +1 (305) 944-7842
voice: +1 (978) 392-6018         fax +1 (305) 489-8129
fax: +1 (978) 692-7365

Program Committee Co-Chairs

Cristina Serban                  Brenda Timmerman
AT&T Labs                        California State University
307 Middletown-Lincroft Rd.      18111 Nordhoff St.
Lincroft, NJ 07738 USA           Northridge, CA 91330-8281 USA
e-mail:   [email-masked]        e-mail: [email-masked]
voice: +1 (732) 576-3279         voice: +1 (818) 677-7341
fax: +1 (732) 576-6406           fax: +1 (818) 677-2140

Program Committee
Bob Blakley, Tivoli
Heather Hinton, Tivoli
Erland Jonsson, Chalmers University of Technology
Clifford Kahn, EMC Corporation
Darrell Kienzle, The MITRE Corporation
Jun Li, UCLA
Catherine Meadows, Naval Research Laboratory
Susan Pancho, University of Cambridge
Dean Povey, DSTC
Thomas Riechmann, Siemens
Marvin Schaefer, ARCA Systems
John Michael Williams

Local Arrangements
Simon Foley (University College, Cork, Ireland) +353 21 902929

Scholarships
Hilary Hosmer (Data Security Inc.) +1 (781) 275-8231
John McHugh (SEI/CERT) +1 (412) 268-7737

Publications
Marvin Schaefer (ARCA Systems) +1 (410) 309-1780

Publicity
Crispin Cowan (WireX Communications, Inc.) +1 (503) 241-6575

ACM-SIGSAC Chair
Ravi Sandhu (George Mason University) +1 (703) 993-1659

Steering Committee
Bob Blakley, Steven J. Greenwald, Hilary Hosmer, Darrell Kienzle,
Catherine Meadows, Cristina Serban, Brenda Timmerman, Mary Ellen Zurko

-++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==
This message was posted through the Stanford campus mailing list
server.  If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing list, send the
message body of "unsubscribe ietf-cat-wg" to [email-masked]