Subject: RE: GSSAPI service names (was Re: LIKPEY issues)

From: Joe Salowey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 13:35:40 -0700

Applications need to define how they use GSSAPI, this includes how to name a
service.  For GSSAPI to be useful all GSSAPI mechanisms should be able to
process the same service name. Additionally, the GSSAPI layer should not
have to know anything about a particular application protocol.  Applications
that use GSSAPI such as ftp, nfs, pop, imap have defined service names.
Telnet has no standard way to use GSSAPI, so it is not of relevant here.
SASL specifies that an application needs to specify a service name
(service@host) and that this service name is carried through if GSSAPI is
used.  Therefore an application that defines a SASL profile also defines a
host based service name to be used in GSSAPI.  If this is a problem then the
SASL/GSSAPI spec needs to be fixed.  It seems that this issue has come up
before. There used to be a draft from John Myers that updated the
SASL/GSSAPI interaction, I don't remember if it addressed these issues (does
anyone have a copy?).
 
Joe

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Greg Hudson [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2000 12:16 PM
> To: Mike Eisler
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: GSSAPI service names (was Re: LIKPEY issues) 
> 
> 
> Uh, we seem to have miscommunicated.  When I was talking about "the
> mapping of service names," I meant mapping the actual name of the
> service, e.g. mapping the GSSAPI service "telnet" to the Kerberos 5
> service "host".  I wasn't talking about mapping the syntax of how you
> put the service name and the hostname together, or the mapping of
> adding a realm, or whatnot; that clearly doesn't require any knowledge
> of the applications.
> -++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==
> This message was posted through the Stanford campus mailing list
> server.  If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing list, send the
> message body of "unsubscribe ietf-cat-wg" to 
> [email-masked]
> 
-++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==
This message was posted through the Stanford campus mailing list
server.  If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing list, send the
message body of "unsubscribe ietf-cat-wg" to [email-masked]