Subject: Re: IANA assignments

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 07:14:50 -0500

> On that basis, I would strongly recommend IANA to assign 4 for both
> the C-Types of SONET/SDH TSPEC and FLOWSPEC.

Too late. IANA has already assigned 3 for that value. Given that IANA
is the authority and people may have already taken IANA's published
value (assuming it was the legit value to use) and added it to their
documents, simply changing the assignment is no longer a simple matter
anymore.

It might be possible to change this assignment if people can make a
clear case that:

 - leaving the assignment of 3 is clearly worse than changing  to 4,
   and
 - changing to 4 doesn't cause hardship and confusion for those that
   have picked up the IANA-assigned value of 3.

Thomas

---

From: Kireeti Kompella <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 10:27:13 -0800 (PST)

>  - leaving the assignment of 3 is clearly worse than changing  to 4,

This is clear: all implementations that reported (with the exception
of the new revision from cisco) use the value of 4.

>    have picked up the IANA-assigned value of 3.

Both cisco (George Swallow) and OIF (Ben Mack-Crane) have stated on
this list that reverting to 4 is acceptable *if done quickly*.  So,
can we do this quickly?

Kireeti.
-------

---

From: Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 14:02:47 -0800

Kireeti,

> of the new revision from cisco) use the value of 4.

Agreed. Taking care of this.

We also need to make sure we don't have situations like this in
future. The solution with Expert Review Thomas proposed seems to be
reasonable.

Alex