Subject: GTTP Draft

From: Ronald Bonica <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 22:04:03 -0500

Folks,

I have updated the generic tunnel tracing draft. It is available at
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bonica-tunproto-05.txt. Please
review and comment.

                                               Ron

Abstract
This document describes the Generic Tunnel Tracing Protocol (GTTP). GTTP
supports enhanced route-tracing applications. Network operators use enhanced
route-tracing applications to trace the path between any two points in an IP
network. Enhanced route-tracing applications can trace through a network's
forwarding plane, its control plane or both. Furthermore, enhanced
route-tracing applications can reveal details concerning tunnels that
support the traced path. Tunnel details can be revealed regardless of
tunneling technology. For example, enhanced route-tracing applications can
trace through an MPLS LSP as well as they can trace through an IP-in-IP
tunnel.

===========================================
Ronald P. Bonica       Ph: 703 886 1681
vBNS Engineering       page: 1 888 268 8021
Ashburn, Va.
===========================================
"There is more to life than simply
                  increasing its speed."
                      -- Mahatma Gandhi

---

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 12:26:17 -0000

All,

Recall that a tunnel trace protocol is now in our charter.
If the WG considers that GTTP is suitable, we should adopt it and drive it to conclusion.
If the WG thinks that GTTP is not suitable (or that there is no need for a tunnel trace
protocol) voices should be raised.

Cheers,
Adrian