Subject: On PCS-based traffic-engineering solutions

From: Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 14:33:01 -0700

Folks-

 <hat = AD>

 I've been asked for a clarification on where the discussion and work on the
 PCS-based solutions (e.g. draft-vasseur-ccamp-inter-area-as-te-00.txt) belong.
 The reason for the question was the fact that PCS-based approach uses a
 paradigm that is rather different from the currently used one and requires a
 set of new mechanisms that CCAMP is not chartered to work on.

 After a consultation with the CCAMP WG chairs, my recommendation is as follows:

 1. The PCS-based solutions should be included in the discussion on
    inter-area/AS traffic engineering in the CCAMP WG. The WG needs to
    select the best solution and ruling one of the possible approaches
    out at this time would be unfair.

 2. A BOF on the PCS-based approach will be scheduled for the San Diego
    IETF meeting. The goal for the BOF meeting will be to gather wider
    community feedback on the approach and gauge the level of interest
    in it.

 Depending on the results of the discussion in CCAMP and the BOF, decisions
 will be made on:

 a) Whether the PCS-related work should be taken on in the IETF, and if so

 b) Where this work should be hosted (e.g., a separate WG, or in CCAMP)

-- 
Alex
IETF RTG Area co-Director