Subject: Response to OIF communication of June 4th

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 20:41:44 +0100

To        OIF, Technical Committee Chair, Steve Joiner, [email-masked]
Cc        [email-masked]
            [email-masked]
            A. Zinin, B. Fenner (IETF Routing ADs)
            K. Kompella, A. Farrel (CCAMP WG chairs)
            CCAMP WG

Dear Mr. Joiner,

Thank you for your response of June 4th, it is good to have opened
up some communication channels between the OIF and CCAMP. We will
investigate what is necessary to establish a more formal
relationship between the two bodies.

We are happy to note the importance that you put on the feedback
process from the OIF to the IETF with respect to GMPLS
standardisation, and in view of this we are pleased to inform the
OIF that IETF CCAMP WG has initiated a Design Team on GMPLS ASON
Routing Solutions.  The GMPLS ASON Routing Solutions Design Team's
Charter is as below. Initially the output will be in the form of
IETF drafts. We will send you the output of the DT over the next
months.

Sincerely,
Kireeti Kompella & Adrian Farrel, CCAMP WG chairs

=====

ASON Routing Solutions Design Team
----------------------------------

Members (alphabetical order):

       Chris Hopps <[email-masked]>
       Lyndon Ong <[email-masked]>
       Dimitri Papadimitriou <[email-masked]>
       Jonathan Sadler <[email-masked]>
       Stephen Shew <[email-masked]>
       Dave Ward <[email-masked]>

Charter:
-------
To evaluate existing IETF routing protocols against the ASON routing
requirements that were documented in
<draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-ason-routing-reqts> as a joint effort of the
IETF CCAMP Working Group and ITU-T SG15.

This evaluation is to be produced by a close examination of
applicability scenarios.  The result of the evaluation of these
scenarios is an integral part of the output of this design team.

The design team will then move on to the design of extensions to
the IETF routing protocols as appropriate in close collaboration
with the corresponding Working Groups (such as the OSPF, IS-IS and
IDR working groups).

Consideration should also be given to the exclusion of protocol
elements or procedures that are not appropriate or relevant in
the ASON routing scenarios that the team describes.

Finally, the design team is responsible for drafting liaison
statements from the CCAMP WG to the ITU-T SG15 and OIF regarding
GMPLS ASON routing solutions, as well as for drafting replies to
liaisons received from the ITU-T SG15 and OIF.  Note that no 
Liaisons drafted by the design team will be sent or replied to
without approval from the CCAMP WG chairs, ADs and rough 
consensus of the CCAMP WG.

Standard design team disclaimer: this design team has no special
status in the CCAMP WG.  Any documents they produce are subject to
the usual WG procedures.  Individuals are encouraged to interact
with the design team, to offer suggestions, review the output and,
if they feel so inclined, to submit their own drafts.

Milestones (all on the 15th of the month):
----------

Jun '04: send Liaison to ITU-T SG15 and OIF stating creation of DT
         and charter
Jul '04: first draft of "Evaluation of existing IETF routing 
         protocols against ASON routing requirements including 
         evaluation scenarios"
Aug '04: first CCAMP WG document of "Evaluation of existing IETF
         routing protocols against ASON routing requirements 
         including evaluation scenarios"
Aug '04: send Liaison to ITU-T SG15 and OIF soliciting input on 
         above WG document
Sep '04: first drafts of protocol-specific "Protocol extensions and
         usage procedures for ASON"
Oct '04: first CCAMP WG protocol-specific documents on "Protocol
         extensions and usage procedures for ASON"
Oct '04: send Liaison to ITU-T SG15 and OIF soliciting input on above
         WG documents
Dec '04: CCAMP WG Last Call (including appropriate Routing WG Last 
         Call)
Jan '05: hand off documents to IESG

Interactions with other WGs:
------------------------------
The design team is expected to interact with other IETF working groups
as appropriate.  Protocol extensions are not to be developed without
full consultation with the "owning" working group.  That is, while the
protocol extensions are developed within CCAMP, they must be presented
to and discussed with the owning working group which must be given the
opportunity to comment and suggest alternate solutions.  This may
include the IS-IS, OSPF and IDR working groups.

Relevant meetings:
------------------
It is suggested that the design team take full advantage of the
following meetings to advance their discussions face-to-face.  The
team may wish to hold "open" meetings on these occasions to solicit
wider input.

60th IETF San Diego, California, August 1st-6th 2004
ITU-T SG15 Inter-regnum meeting on ASON routing, Berlin, Germany,
   November 1st-5th 2004
61st IETF Washington, DC, November 7th-12th 2004

---

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 09:14:21 +0100

Response from Steve Joiner...
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Steve Joiner" <[email-masked]>
To: "'Adrian Farrel'" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "'Kireeti Kompella'" <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; "'Bill Fenner'"
<[email-masked]>; "'Kimberly Chiu'" <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>;
"'Jim Jones'" <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, June 17, 2004 9:49 PM
Subject: RE: Response to OIF communication of June 4th

Adrian,

I received your communication and will forward it to our membership.  It
will be reviewed at our next meeting in late July.

We look forward to continued open communication.

Let me know when you are ready to pursue more formal relationship
between the two bodies.

-steve
OIF TC Chair

-----Original Message-----
From: Adrian Farrel [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, June 17, 2004 12:42 PM
To: Steve Joiner
Cc: 'Kireeti Kompella'; Adrian Farrel; [email-masked]; Bill Fenner;
Kimberly Chiu; [email-masked]; Jim Jones; [email-masked]
Subject: Response to OIF communication of June 4th

To        OIF, Technical Committee Chair, Steve Joiner,
<mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked]
Cc         <mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked]
             <mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked]
            A. Zinin, B. Fenner (IETF Routing ADs)
            K. Kompella, A. Farrel (CCAMP WG chairs)
            CCAMP WG

Dear Mr. Joiner,

Sincerely,

=====

       Chris Hopps < <mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked]>
       Lyndon Ong < <mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked]>
       Dimitri Papadimitriou < <mailto:[email-masked]>
[email-masked]>
       Jonathan Sadler < <mailto:[email-masked]>
[email-masked]>
       Stephen Shew < <mailto:[email-masked]>
[email-masked]>
       Dave Ward < <mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked]>

Charter:
-------

Relevant meetings:
------------------