Subject: Draft of a liaison to ITU-T Study Group 13 about L1VPN

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 17:21:49 +0100

Comments on this proposed liaison to ITU-T SG13 would be very welcome.
Thanks,
Adrian

====

To:          Mr. Marco Carugi, Rapporteur for Question 11 of ITU-T Study Group 13.
From:      Adrian Farrel and Kireeti Kompella, Co-chairs of the CCAMP Working Group of the
IETF
Cc:          Alex Zinin and Bill Fenner, Routing Area Directors of the IETF
For:         Information
Deadline: None
Subject:   Reply to Liaison Statement on L1VPNs

Dear Mr. Carugi,

Thank you for your liaison statement COM13-LS23 dated 3-12 February 2004 on the subject of
Layer One VPNs and related work within Study Group 13.

Thanks also to the members of Study Group 13 Question 11 for their work on
draft-takeda-l1vpn-framework-00.txt which represents so clearly the motivations for
L1VPNs, the  high level (service level) requirements, and the architectural models
that might be used to build L1VPNs.

Members of the CCAMP working group have expressed a considerable interest in this work and
we are keen to pursue a working relationship with SG13 to advance the description of the
functional requirements, assess current protocols for suitability, and develop any
protocol extensions that may be necessary.

Some feedback on draft-takeda-l1vpn-framework-00.txt has already been made on the CCAMP
mailing list and we know that the authors of the draft are aware of the comments.
Hopefully this is valuable input and will be taken back for discussion in Q.11 where
appropriate.

In order to further facilitate the discussion of L1VPN within the IETF and to separate the
work from the noise that happens on the CCAMP mailing list, we have started a new mailing
list designated for L1VPN emails only. In keeping with all IETF mailing lists, this list
is open to all and we would welcome active participation from SG13 delegates and
attendees, and from anyone else who can contribute in this area.

We anticipate that initial discussions will focus on draft-takeda-l1vpn-framework-00.txt,
but that we will move on to an analysis of the short-comings of existing IETF protocols in
the delivery of L1VPNs.

To join the mailing list please visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/l1vpn.
The mailing list will also be archived and can be read on the Web at
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/l1vpn/

Sincerely,
Kireeti Kompella & Adrian Farrel, CCAMP WG chairs

---

From: dimitri papadimitriou <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 00:50:50 +0200

hi adrian, what do you mean by "to separate the work from the noise that happens 
on the CCAMP mailing list" and "In keeping with all IETF mailing lists,.."

except from these expected clarifications, the proposal looks fine to me

thanks,
- dimitri.

Adrian Farrel wrote:

> .

---

From: Scott W Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 08:31:06 +0200

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 12:50:50AM +0200, dimitri papadimitriou allegedly wrote:
> hi adrian, what do you mean by "to separate the work from the noise that 
> happens on the CCAMP mailing list" 

Right.  Adrian, just delete the first part of that sentence and start
with "We have started a new mailing list".  

> and "In keeping with all IETF mailing 
> lists,.."

I have no problem with this.

swb

---

From: "Vishal Sharma" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 09:05:07 -0700

Adrian,

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
> Behalf Of Scott W Brim
> Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 11:31 PM
> To: dimitri papadimitriou
> Cc: Adrian Farrel; [email-masked]; 'Kireeti Kompella';
> [email-masked]; Bill Fenner
> Subject: Re: Draft of a liaison to ITU-T Study Group 13 about L1VPN
> 
> 

Ditto.

-Vishal