Subject: ASON Routing Solutions Design Team

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 10:37:21 +0100

Hi All,

A new Design Team in the CCAMP WG has been formed.  The team members
and charter follow.

Please send comments to the CCAMP list.  The DT has an aggressive
schedule, so constructive comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all the DT members for accepting this responsibility!

Adrian
=====
ASON Routing Solutions Design Team
----------------------------------

Members (alphabetical order):

      Chris Hopps <[email-masked]>
      Lyndon Ong <[email-masked]>
      Dimitri Papadimitriou <[email-masked]>
      Jonathan Sadler <[email-masked]>
      Stephen Shew <[email-masked]>
      Dave Ward <[email-masked]>

Charter:
-------

To evaluate existing IETF routing protocols against the ASON routing requirements that
were documented in <draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-ason-routing-reqts> as a joint effort of the
IETF CCAMP Working Group and ITU-T SG15.

This evaluation is to be produced by a close examination of applicability scenarios. The
result of the evaluation of these scenarios is an integral part of the output of this
design team.

The design team will then move on to the design of extensions to the IETF routing
protocols as appropriate in close collaboration with the corresponding Working Groups
(such as the OSPF, IS-IS and IDR working groups).

Consideration should also be given to the exclusion of protocol elements or procedures
that are not appropriate or relevant in the ASON routing scenarios that the team
describes.

Finally, the design team is responsible for drafting liaison statements from the CCAMP WG
to the ITU-T SG15 and OIF regarding GMPLS ASON routing solutions, as well as for drafting
replies to liaisons received from the ITU-T SG15 and OIF. Note that no Liaisons drafted by
the design team will be sent or replied to without approval from the CCAMP WG chairs, ADs
and rough consensus of the CCAMP WG.

Standard design team disclaimer: this design team has no special status in the CCAMP WG.
Any documents they produce are subject to the usual WG procedures. Individuals are
encouraged to interact with the design team, to offer suggestions, review the output and,
if they feel so inclined, to submit their own drafts.

Milestones (all on the 15th of the month):
----------

Jun '04: send Liaison to ITU-T SG15 and OIF stating creation of DT
            and charter
Jul '04: first draft of "Evaluation of existing IETF routing protocols
           against ASON routing requirements including evaluation
           scenarios"
Aug '04: first CCAMP WG document of "Evaluation of existing IETF
           routing protocols against ASON routing requirements including
           evaluation scenarios"
Aug '04: send Liaison to ITU-T SG15 and OIF soliciting input on above
           WG document
Sep '04: first drafts of protocol-specific "Protocol extensions and usage
           procedures for ASON"
Oct '04: first CCAMP WG protocol-specific documents on "Protocol
           extensions and usage procedures for ASON"
Oct '04: send Liaison to ITU-T SG15 and OIF soliciting input on above
          WG documents
Dec '04: CCAMP WG Last Call (including appropriate Routing WG Last
           Call)
Jan '05: hand off documents to IESG

Interactions with other WGs:
------------------------------
The design team is expected to interact with other IETF working groups as appropriate.
Protocol extensions are not to be developed without full consultation with the "owning"
working group. That is, while the protocol extensions are developed within CCAMP,
they must be presented to and discussed with the owning working group which must be
given the opportunity to comment and suggest alternate solutions. This may include the
IS-IS, OSPF and IDR working groups.

Relevant meetings:
------------------
It is suggested that the design team take full advantage of the following meetings to
advance their discussions face-to-face. The team may wish to hold "open" meetings on these
occasions to solicit wider input.

60th IETF San Diego, California, August 1st-6th 2004
ITU-T SG15 Inter-regnum meeting on ASON routing, Berlin, Germany, November 1st-5th 2004
61st IETF Washington, DC, November 7th-12th 2004