Subject: CCAMP WG Liaison: Creation of a new Design Team for ASON Routing (fwd)

From: Kireeti Kompella <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 15:58:01 -0700 (PDT)

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 15:56:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: Kireeti Kompella <[email-masked]>
To: Malcolm Betts <[email-masked]>, Hing-Kam Lam <[email-masked]>
Cc: Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>, Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>,
     Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>, Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]>,
     Kireeti Kompella <[email-masked]>,
     IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Subject: CCAMP WG Liaison: Creation of a new Design Team for ASON Routing

To        Q12/15 Rapporteur, Malcolm Betts, [email-masked]
          Q14/15 Rapporteur, Hing Kam Lam, [email-masked]
Cc        S. Bradner (IETF-ITU Liaison Coordinator)
          A. Zinin, B. Fenner (IETF Routing ADs)
          K. Kompella, A. Farrel (CCAMP WG chairs)
          CCAMP WG
For       Information
Deadline: None

--------

We would like to inform ITU-T Q12/15 and Q14/15 that IETF CCAMP WG
has initiated a Design Team on GMPLS ASON Routing Solutions.  The
GMPLS ASON Routing Solutions Design Team's Charter is as below.

We expect to liaise with you on the output of the DT over the next
months.  Initially the output will be in the form of IETF drafts.
We wish to work with you cooperatively on these documents and we
would appreciate your assistance in reviewing them.

=====

ASON Routing Solutions Design Team
----------------------------------

Members (alphabetical order):

      Chris Hopps <[email-masked]>
      Lyndon Ong <[email-masked]>
      Dimitri Papadimitriou <[email-masked]>
      Jonathan Sadler <[email-masked]>
      Stephen Shew <[email-masked]>
      Dave Ward <[email-masked]>

Charter:
-------

To evaluate existing IETF routing protocols against the ASON routing
requirements that were documented in
<draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-ason-routing-reqts> as a joint effort of the
IETF CCAMP Working Group and ITU-T SG15.

This evaluation is to be produced by a close examination of
applicability scenarios.  The result of the evaluation of these
scenarios is an integral part of the output of this design team.

The design team will then move on to the design of extensions to
the IETF routing protocols as appropriate in close collaboration
with the corresponding Working Groups (such as the OSPF, IS-IS and
IDR working groups).

Consideration should also be given to the exclusion of protocol
elements or procedures that are not appropriate or relevant in
the ASON routing scenarios that the team describes.

Finally, the design team is responsible for drafting liaison
statements from the CCAMP WG to the ITU-T SG15 and OIF regarding
GMPLS ASON routing solutions, as well as for drafting replies to
liaisons received from the ITU-T SG15 and OIF.  Note that no Liaisons
drafted by the design team will be sent or replied to without
approval from the CCAMP WG chairs, ADs and rough consensus of the
CCAMP WG.

Standard design team disclaimer: this design team has no special
status in the CCAMP WG.  Any documents they produce are subject to
the usual WG procedures.  Individuals are encouraged to interact
with the design team, to offer suggestions, review the output and,
if they feel so inclined, to submit their own drafts.

Milestones (all on the 15th of the month):
----------

Jun '04: send Liaison to ITU-T SG15 and OIF stating creation of DT
           and charter
Jul '04: first draft of "Evaluation of existing IETF routing protocols
           against ASON routing requirements including evaluation
           scenarios"
Aug '04: first CCAMP WG document of "Evaluation of existing IETF
           routing protocols against ASON routing requirements including
           evaluation scenarios"
Aug '04: send Liaison to ITU-T SG15 and OIF soliciting input on above
           WG document
Sep '04: first drafts of protocol-specific "Protocol extensions and usage
           procedures for ASON"
Oct '04: first CCAMP WG protocol-specific documents on "Protocol
           extensions and usage procedures for ASON"
Oct '04: send Liaison to ITU-T SG15 and OIF soliciting input on above
           WG documents
Dec '04: CCAMP WG Last Call (including appropriate Routing WG Last Call)
Jan '05: hand off documents to IESG

Interactions with other WGs:
------------------------------
The design team is expected to interact with other IETF working groups
as appropriate.  Protocol extensions are not to be developed without
full consultation with the "owning" working group.  That is, while the
protocol extensions are developed within CCAMP, they must be presented
to and discussed with the owning working group which must be given the
opportunity to comment and suggest alternate solutions.  This may
include the IS-IS, OSPF and IDR working groups.

Relevant meetings:
------------------
It is suggested that the design team take full advantage of the
following meetings to advance their discussions face-to-face.  The
team may wish to hold "open" meetings on these occasions to solicit
wider input.

60th IETF San Diego, California, August 1st-6th 2004
ITU-T SG15 Inter-regnum meeting on ASON routing, Berlin, Germany,
	November 1st-5th 2004
61st IETF Washington, DC, November 7th-12th 2004

Sincerely,
Kireeti Kompella & Adrian Farrel, CCAMP WG chairs