Subject: Re: Carrier Survey Results on GMPLS-based Shared-Mesh Transport Restoration Strategies

From: "Tom Petch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 22:09:02 +0100

I like it, find it useful but have a nagging doubt about how much I can
trust the information therein.

As is often stated, in the IETF we participate as individuals, not
representing our organisations; but for this I-D to carry weight, it
matters that the views in it are made by people with the authority to
represent their organisations.

In implementation reports, as in the advancement of a standard, I may see
the name and details of whoever made the report on behalf of the
organisation, which always reassures me as to the standing of the report.

Could we have something similar here?

Tom Petch

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Rabbat <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 July 2004 19:54
Subject: Carrier Survey Results on GMPLS-based Shared-Mesh Transport
Restoration Strategies

Dear all,

Please take a look at our new draft:
Carrier Survey Results on GMPLS-based Shared-Mesh Transport Restoration
Strategies available at:

<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rabbat-ccamp-carrier-survey-00.t
x
t>
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rabbat-ccamp-carrier-survey-00.tx
t
This draft presents the results of a survey about carrier interest in
shared
mesh restoration, their requirements and their concerns. We have tried to
be
as encompassing as possible going to carriers in Europe, Asia and North
America.
We are hoping to include input from more carriers and would like to ask the
community in general and the carriers in particular to let us know what new
information they would like to see surveyed in the next update.

Basically, we have the following questions:
- Are you interested in GMPLS-based solutions to the requirements?
- Can you suggest additional contacts to enable us to reach more carriers
and get their feedback?
- Have we overlooked any aspect of restoration for shared mesh?
- What additional questions would you like to see?

Some of the surveyed carriers have already provided inputs on this and we'd
like to ask others to give us their comments as well.

Thanks,

Richard.

---

From: "Richard Rabbat" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 18:23:32 -0700

> From: Tom Petch [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Monday, July 19, 2004 2:09 PM
> To: Richard Rabbat; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: Carrier Survey Results on GMPLS-based 
> Shared-Mesh Transport Restoration Strategies
> 
> 
> I like it, find it useful 

Hi Tom,
Thanks. We've received several responses about it. Do you have more feedback
about the content as well in addition to methodology?

> but have a nagging doubt about how 
> much I can trust the information therein.
> 
> As is often stated, in the IETF we participate as 
> individuals, not representing our organisations; but for this 
> I-D to carry weight, it matters that the views in it are made 
> by people with the authority to represent their organisations.
> 
> In implementation reports, as in the advancement of a 
> standard, I may see the name and details of whoever made the 
> report on behalf of the organisation, which always reassures 
> me as to the standing of the report.
> 

[Richard] Completely agree with you. We were very particular in investing a
lot of time to reach the people who were authorized to represent their
organizations and had a specific involvement in planning, engineering and
ops, and overall architecture.
As I said in my previous email to Adrian, we're trying to get clearance to
list/name their job responsibilities. This is of course the relevant part
w/r to the survey.
We're also going to publish an update of the draft with the individual
anonymized results to give a better sense of the quality of the feedback.

> Tom Petch

Tom, do you also have specific contacts that you can introduce us to in
order to get more data points for the survey? 
Best,
Richard.

> Subject: Carrier Survey Results on GMPLS-based Shared-Mesh 
> Transport Restoration Strategies
> 
> 
> Dear all,
> 
> Carrier Survey Results on GMPLS-based Shared-Mesh Transport 
> Restoration Strategies available at:
> 
x
t>
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rabbat-ccamp-carrier-survey-00.tx
t
This draft presents the results of a survey about carrier interest in shared
mesh restoration, their requirements and their concerns. We have tried to be
as encompassing as possible going to carriers in Europe, Asia and North
America. We are hoping to include input from more carriers and would like to
ask the community in general and the carriers in particular to let us know
what new information they would like to see surveyed in the next update.

Thanks,

Richard.