Subject: survey about shared mesh and carrier requirements for restoration

From: "Richard Rabbat" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 10:04:37 -0700

Hi CCAMP members,
In addition to the previous email, I'd like to open up discussion about the
draft that we recently submitted to IETF. Please take a look at the draft
that we posted:
 <http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rabbat-ccamp-carrier-sur>
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rabbat-ccamp-carrier-survey-00.txt
 
Briefly, we discuss in this draft the question of shared mesh restoration in
optical transport networks. We surveyed many carriers and had a return rate
of 7 out of 8 carriers we contacted. We've been careful with respect to the
companies that wished to remain anonymous and aggregated the information in
an effort to keep the individual responses anonymous as well.
 
There were several areas of concern for carriers including but not
restricted to:
- speed of notification
- network stability
- signaling storms in the case where multiple wavelengths fail at the same
time due to a fiber cut
- scalability of a signaling-based solution
- hard bounds on recovery times
 
They also mentioned the need for speedy restoration when it comes to
circuits that would be used to carry traffic for time-sensitive applications
such as VoIP.
The survey provides a good view of some key carrier issues. We believe that
collecting them in one place, as we have done in our draft, provides an
excellent basis for discussion within CCAMP about how to resolve problems
that are current carrier concerns.
 
So, in parallel with our effort to get more carrier feedback, we'd like to
ask the CCAMP community to discuss how the results of the survey can be used
to clarify this problem space and to develop appropriate solutions. The
interest of carriers has been clearly identified.
In fact, many of them are actively pursuing solutions and deployments in the
next 2+ years, and at least one carrier reported that they already have
deployments in some portion of their network. We actually just got an email
from one of the carriers asking us to move their response from ("expected
deployment in the next 2-3 years", to "expected deployment within one
year").
 
Thanks,
Richard.