Subject: PCE BOF - Thursday August 5, 13:00 to 15:00

From: Jean Philippe Vasseur <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2004 01:07:35 -0400

Hi,

Just to let you know that the set of slides for the PCE BOF will be 
available next Monday morning (http://www.olddog.co.uk/60/pce.ppt)

Cheers,

JP and Adrian.

Path Computation Element BOF (PCE BOF)
60th IETF, San Diego, August 2004

Routing Area Ads: Alex Zinin ([email-masked]),
Bill Fenner ([email-masked])

BOF Chairs: JP Vasseur ([email-masked]), Adrian Farrel 
([email-masked])

Description:
In certain MPLS TE networks it may be beneficial or desirable to have path
computation performed by a distinct node (termed the Path Computation
Element PCE) that is not the LSR that needs to know the path. This BOF
examines the scope of such function, what extensions to existing protocols
might required, what additional protocols may need to be developed, and
whether there is cuase and support for this work within the IETF.

Proposed WG Charter

Organizational Overview
The PCE working group coordinates the work within the IETF of defining the
operation of path computation elements within the Internet. Path
computation elements are responsible for computing paths through IP
networks for uses such as traffic engineering so that a prime consumer of
such paths might be an MPLS-TE LSR. Areas of responsibility will include
the collection of attributes relevant to the computation of paths, the
discovery by LSRs of available path computation elements, the communication
with LSRs for the request of path computation, the collaboration between
path computation elements within the network, and analysis of path
computation algorithms with a view to ensuring consistency between computed
paths. The working group will work closely with many working groups in the
Routing Area including the OSPF, IS-IS, IDR, MPLS and CCAMP working groups.

Working Group Scope

The PCE working group scope includes:
- Definition of Generalized Traffic Engineered LSP paths computation
techniques involving Path Computation Element(s). This includes the intra
IGP area, inter IGP area, inter-AS and inter-provider TE LSPs path
computation for Point-to-Point, Point-to-Multipoint and
Multipoint-to-Multipoint TE LSPs.
- Definition of protocol-independent metrics and constraints defining path
quality measurement criteria, algorithm complexity and scalability criteria
related to path computation techniques.
- Definition of requirements for communication between LSRs and PCEs
including routing extensions in support of PCE discovery techniques within
an IGP area and across multiple IGP areas, ASes and Provider networks, and
including the development of new protocols or protocol extensions for
requesting path computation and supplying responses. Any protocol
extensions will developed in conjunction with the working groups in charge
of the specific protocols.
- Specification of routing (OSPF, ISIS, BGP) and signalling extensions
(RSVP-TE) required by PCE-based path computation techniques. The extensions
will developed in conjunction with the working groups in charge of the
specific protocols.
- Specification of requirements and protocol extensions related to the
policy, security and confidentiality aspects of PCE-based path computation
techniques involving PCEs of multiple Providers.
- Definition of MIBs, management procedures related to the protocol
extensions defined by the WG
In doing this work, the WG will closely work with at least the following
other WGs: CCAMP, MPLS, ISIS, OSPF, IDR. The WG will also cooperate with
the ITU-T and OIF.

Goals and Milestones
Dates for milestones to be decided later.
- Post strawman WG goals and charter.
- Submit WG document defining the framework and applicability of the
PCE model.
- Select a single candidate protocol from communication between LSRs
and PCEs.
- Submit document(s) that define various path computation models
- Submit an analysis document examining the requirements for coherent
computation techniques and the implication of cooperation between
PCEs.
- Submit a document defining the protocol for communication between
LSRs and PCEs.
- Submit document(s) defining extensions to routing and signalling
protocols necessary to support the use of a PCE model within MPLS
networks.
- Submit a document defining MIB modules for modeling and management
of PCE systems.

---

From: lidefeng <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 08:53:27 +0800

Hi,

I think it is very necessary to do this work in IETF, Service Providers in China also expressed such requirements during the technical exchanges.

I have delved into PCE.ppt in the link, however, I can't find the following drafts, If anyone can share with me? Could you please send me these drafts in e-mail, Thanks!

draft-mescal-pce-interas-00.txt
draft-mescal-pcp-interas-00.txt
draft-mescal-pceid-00.txt

Best Regards
Defeng Li 
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Jean Philippe Vasseur 
  To: [email-masked] ; [email-masked] ; TEWG ; [email-masked] 
  Cc: [email-masked] ; [email-masked] ; Bill Fenner 
  Sent: Sunday, August 01, 2004 1:07 PM
  Subject: PCE BOF - Thursday August 5, 13:00 to 15:00

  Hi,

  Just to let you know that the set of slides for the PCE BOF will be available next Monday morning (http://www.olddog.co.uk/60/pce.ppt)

  Cheers,

  JP and Adrian.

  BOF Chairs: JP Vasseur ([email-masked]), Adrian Farrel ([email-masked])

  Description: 

  Proposed WG Charter 

  Organizational Overview 

  Working Group Scope 

  Goals and Milestones

---

From: Jean Philippe Vasseur <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 09:53:47 -0700

Hi,

At 08:53 AM 8/5/2004 +0800, lidefeng wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I think it is very necessary to do this work in IETF, Service Providers in 
>China also expressed such requirements during the technical exchanges.

Thanks for the feed-back, feel free to join the BOF.

>
>I have delved into PCE.ppt in the link, however, I can't find the 
>following drafts, If anyone can share with me? Could you please send me 
>these drafts in e-mail, Thanks!
>

Those drafts falls in the "Under Work" category ... and have not been 
published yet. I'll say a few words about them this afternoon, the goal was 
just to highlight on-going work related to this area.

JP.

>From: <mailto:[email-masked]>Jean Philippe Vasseur
>To: <mailto:[email-masked]>[email-masked] ; 
><mailto:[email-masked]>[email-masked] ; <mailto:[email-masked]>TEWG ; 
><mailto:[email-masked]>[email-masked]
>Cc: <mailto:[email-masked]>[email-masked] ; 
><mailto:[email-masked]>[email-masked] ; <mailto:[email-masked]>Bill 
>Fenner
>Routing Area Ads: Alex Zinin (<mailto:[email-masked]>[email-masked]),
>Bill Fenner (<mailto:[email-masked]>[email-masked])
>
>BOF Chairs: JP Vasseur (<mailto:[email-masked]>[email-masked]), 
>Adrian Farrel (<mailto:[email-masked]>[email-masked])
>
>Description: