Subject: Carrier survey update on shared mesh restoration

From: "Richard Rabbat" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 11:48:04 -0800

Hi,
Based on the feedback from the CCAMP WG chairs during last IETF, we have
updated the carrier survey to include all the individual carrier responses.
We've also added the couple of missing collated answers.
Information about the draft is below.
 
We are currently looking for more carriers to answer the survey and have put
up the survey on a web page for easy access. We've also added more questions
based on feedback from IETF San Diego and on the mailing list.  The page is
at: http://perth.mit.edu/~richard/carrier_survey/survey.txt
 
We're also looking for more feedback on what questions people have that they
would want to see captured in the survey.
Thanks a lot,
Richard.
--
A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
Title : Carrier Survey Results on GMPLS-based Shared-Mesh Transport
Restoration Strategies
Author(s) : R. Rabbat, et al.
Filename : draft-rabbat-ccamp-carrier-survey-01.txt
Pages : 36
Date : 2004-10-25

Optical transport networks operated using a GMPLS-based control plane 
   enable todays network operators to offer valuable new services. With 
   the completion of a number of GMPLS signaling and routing standards 
   and the availability of products implementing them, providers are now 
   looking at ways to enable additional features, such as shared-mesh 
   restoration. These can be key to efficient network operation while 
   providing strict performance guarantees. In that context, several 
   areas of work still need to be addressed within the CCAMP WG of the 
   IETF to develop interoperable, standards-based solutions that 
   carriers can embrace. 
    
   Towards that end, this document presents the results of a serious 
   attempt to systematically gather and collate carrier inputs on 
   strategies for shared-mesh restoration and the associated issues. The 
   survey results are presented in aggregate form to provide an overview
   of carrier thinking, while retaining specific carrier response 
   confidentiality. The goal is to highlight areas of carrier concerns, 
   and identify specific work items to focus on and facilitate further 
   discussion on them. This is to enable the CCAMP WG to pursue ongoing 
   and further work in this area that is focused towards addressing the 
   identified carrier requirements.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rabbat-ccamp-carrier-survey-01.txt