Subject: Solicit the comments on LMP Data Channel Status I-D

From: Dan Li <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 16:47:58 +0800

Hi all,

In Prague we saw three optical vendors stating that this I-D addresses a 
real problem that they see in deployed networks. We also saw one operator 
expressing interest in the work.

To summarise the problem that we are addressing:

Under some circumstances the opposite ends of data links may get into 
mismatched states. For example, one end of the data link may be allocated 
and cross-connected, while the other end is available for use. This 
represents an error condition.

The problem is particularly bad when the data link is a component link of a 
bundle, because the problem cannot be detected from the TE advertisements. 
Further, existing LMP mechanisms do not allow us to discover the problem.

If left undetected and unresolved, the situation may lead to LSP setup 
failures or to misconnection of LSPs.

Since the error condition can arise from a variety of situations (including 
control plane failure and restart, management plane intervention, attempt to 
clean up a partitioned control plane, etc.) we believe that it would be 
useful to have optional extensions to LMP to detect and report the problem. 
Resolution of the problem remains an issue for the management plane.

We would like to hear from people who believe that this is or is not a real 
problem in the network so that we can judge whether to ask the chairs to 
make this a WG draft.

Best regards,

Dan Li

Advanced Technology Department
Wireline Networking Business Unit
Huawei Technologies Co., LTD.
Huawei Base, Bantian, Longgang,
Shenzhen 518129 P.R.China
Tel: +86-755-28973237
Fax: +86-755-28972935
***************************************************************************************
This e-mail and its attachments contain confidential information from HUAWEI, which is intended only for the person or entity whose address is listed above. Any use of the information contained herein in any way (including, but not limited to, total or partial disclosure, reproduction, or dissemination) by persons other than the intended recipient(s) is prohibited. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by phone or email immediately and delete it!
***************************************************************************************