Subject: Draft liaison to ITU-T on their OTNT Work Plan

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 18:01:54 +0100

CCAMP,

In we received a copy of ITU-T Study Group 15's work plan for Optical
Transport Networking, with a request that we review and comment by 30th
April.

We touched on this in Prague, and subsequently on the mailing list a
little.

Attached is a proposed response. Please comment by 27th April so that I
can send the liaison on time.

Thanks,
Adrian.
===
To: ITU-T Question 3/15
From: IETF CCAMP Working Group
Cc: Stephen Trowbridge, Hiroshi Ohta, Scott Bradner, Dave Ward, Ross
Callon, Loa Andersson, JP Vasseur, CCAMP Working Group,
PCE Working Group
Subject: SG15 OTNT Standardisation Work Plan
For Information

The CCAMP Working Group of the IETF thanks you for sharing your OTNT
Work Plan and for soliciting our comments.

We have the following two points that you may want to use to update your
document.

1. Table 5-1

This table lists standardisation activities for carrier-class Ethernet
in various SDOs.

The CCAMP working group has the responsibility within the IETF for
developing common control plane and measurement plane solutions for use
within transport networks, and layer 2 (for example, Ethernet) is within
scope for our work. The working group has been discussing the
application of GMPLS protocols to the dynamic control of Ethernet
networks with the following results:

a. draft-ietf-ccamp-ethernet-traffic-parameters-01.txt

This Internet-Draft documents extensions to the RSVP-TE signaling
protocol to express Ethernet traffic parameters so that GMPLS can
be used to set up Ethernet LSPs and to request Ethernet services at a
GMPLS UNI. The draft can be found at
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ccamp-ethernet-traffic-parameters-01.txt

b. GMPLS Ethernet Label Switching (GELS)

The GELS effort is intended to develop a single set of protocol
extensions that are applicable to the establishment of LSPs through an
Ethernet network.

Currently there are several proposals of what type of Ethernet network
may benefit from this type of control plane, and the appropriateness of each
proposed data plane will be verified with the IEEE before CCAMP attempts
to apply a control plane.

Currently there are several individual submission Internet-Drafts that
have started to lay out the requirements and potential solutions for the
GMPLS protocol extensions.

2. Table 7-1

Table 7-1 provides a long list of related OTNT industry standards and
specifications.

a. GMPLS and Optical-related RFCs

We would like to suggest some additions to this list from the IETF as
follows:

RFC 3471 : Generalized Multi-Protocol Label Switching (GMPLS) Signaling
Functional Description
RFC 3473 : Generalized Multi-Protocol Label Switching (GMPLS)Signaling
Resource ReserVation Protocol-Traffic Engineering (RSVP-TE) Extensions
RFC 4652 : Evaluation of Existing Routing Protocols against Automatic
Switched Optical Network (ASON) Routing Requirements
RFC 4726 : A Framework for Inter-Domain Multiprotocol Label Switching
Traffic Engineering
RFC 4736 : Reoptimization of Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS)
Traffic Engineering (TE) Loosely Routed Label Switch Path (LSP)
RFC 4783 : GMPLS - Communication of Alarm Information
RFC 4801 : Definitions of Textual Conventions for Generalized
Multiprotocol Label Switching (GMPLS) Management
RFC 4802 : Generalized Multiprotocol Label Switching (GMPLS) Traffic
Engineering Management Information Base
RFC 4803 : Generalized Multiprotocol Label Switching (GMPLS)Label
Switching Router (LSR) Management Information Base
RFC 4874 : Exclude Routes - Extension to Resource ReserVation
Protocol-Traffic Engineering (RSVP-TE)

The latest list of CCAMP RFCs can be found at the CCAMP Charter page,
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/ccamp-charter.html

b. GMPLS and Optical-related Internet-Drafts

We welcome your listing of Internet-Drafts for related work. We make the
following observations:

i.  All Internet-Drafts should be identified as "work in progress". This
request is made, as standard, by the IETF in the following boilerplate
text at the head of every Internet-Draft...

   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
   and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
   time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
   material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

ii. The following Internet-Drafts in Table 7-1 have been replaced with
RFCs as listed above:

draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-tc-mib
draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-te-mib
draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-lsr-mib
draft-ietf-ccamp-rsvp-te-exclude-route
draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-alarm-spec
draft-ietf-ccamp-inter-domain-framework
draft-ietf-ccamp-loose-path-reopt
draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-ason-routing-eval

iii. Additional Internet-Drafts

You may wish to list the following CCAMP Internet-Drafts as relevant to
your work:

draft-ietf-ccamp-inter-domain-rsvp-te-05.txt
Inter domain Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) and Generalized MPLS
(GMPLS) Traffic Engineering - RSVP-TE extensions

draft-ietf-ccamp-lsp-stitching-05.txt
Label Switched Path Stitching with Generalized Multiprotocol Label
Switching Traffic Engineering (GMPLS TE)

draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-rsvp-te-call-04.txt
Generalized MPLS (GMPLS) RSVP-TE Signaling Extensions in support of
Calls

draft-ietf-ccamp-lsp-hierarchy-bis-01.txt
Procedures for Dynamically Signaled Hierarchical Label Switched Paths

draft-ietf-ccamp-mpls-gmpls-interwork-fmwk-02.txt
Framework for MPLS-TE to GMPLS migration

draft-ietf-ccamp-ethernet-traffic-parameters-01.txt
MEF Ethernet Traffic Parameters

draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-ason-routing-ospf-03.txt
OSPFv2 Routing Protocols Extensions for ASON Routing

draft-ietf-ccamp-mpls-graceful-shutdown-02.txt
Graceful Shutdown in GMPLS Traffic Engineering Networks

draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-vcat-lcas-02.txt
Operating Virtual Concatenation (VCAT) and the Link Capacity Adjustment
Scheme (LCAS) with Generalized Multi-Protocol Label Switching (GMPLS)

draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-ted-mib-01.txt
Traffic Engineering Database Management Information Base in support of
GMPLS

draft-ietf-ccamp-pc-and-sc-reqs-00.txt
Requirements for the Conversion Between Permanent Connections and
Switched Connections in a Generalized Multiprotocol Label Switching
(GMPLS) Network

draft-ietf-ccamp-mpls-gmpls-interwork-reqts-00.txt
Interworking Requirements to Support operation of MPLS-TE over GMPLS
networks

draft-ietf-ccamp-inter-domain-recovery-analysis-00.txt
Analysis of Inter-domain Label Switched Path (LSP) Recovery

The latest list of CCAMP Internet-Drafts can be found at the CCAMP
Charter page, http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/ccamp-charter.html

iv. Expired Internet-Drafts

The following Internet-Drafts listed in table 7-1 have expired and are
not being pursued.

draft-ietf-ipo-impairments
draft-ietf-ipo-framework

c. Path Computation-related RFCs and Internet-Drafts

In the light of G.7715.2 you may also be interested in including the
Path Computation Element (PCE) RFCs and Internet-Drafts within
table 7-1 as follows:

RFC 4655 : A Path Computation Element (PCE) Based Architecture
RFC 4657 : Path Computation Element (PCE) Communication Protocol Generic
Requirements
RFC 4674 : Requirements for Path Computation Element (PCE) Discovery

draft-ietf-pce-pcep-07.txt
Path Computation Element (PCE) communication Protocol (PCEP)

draft-ietf-pce-inter-layer-req-04.txt
PCC-PCE Communication Requirements for Inter-Layer Traffic Engineering

draft-ietf-pce-pcecp-interarea-reqs-05.txt
PCE Communication Protocol (PCECP) Specific Requirements for Inter-Area
Multi Protocol Label Switching (MPLS) and Generalized MPLS (GMPLS)
Traffic Engineering

draft-ietf-pce-inter-layer-frwk-03.txt
Framework for PCE-Based Inter-Layer MPLS and GMPLS Traffic Engineering

draft-ietf-pce-policy-enabled-path-comp-01.txt
Policy-Enabled Path Computation Framework

draft-ietf-pce-interas-pcecp-reqs-01.txt
Inter-AS Requirements for the Path Computation Element Communication
Protocol (PCECP)

draft-ietf-pce-brpc-04.txt
A Backward Recursive PCE-based Computation (BRPC) procedure to compute
shortest inter-domain Traffic Engineering Label Switched Paths

draft-ietf-pce-disco-proto-ospf-03.txt
OSPF protocol extensions for Path Computation Element (PCE) Discovery

draft-ietf-pce-disco-proto-isis-03.txt
IS-IS protocol extensions for Path Computation Element (PCE) Discovery

draft-ietf-pce-disc-mib-01.txt
Definitions of Managed Objects for Path Computation Element Discovery

draft-ietf-pce-tc-mib-01.txt
Definitions of Textual Conventions for Path Computation Element

draft-ietf-pce-pcep-xro-00.txt
Extensions to the Path Computation Element Communication Protocol (PCEP)
for Route Exclusions

The latest list of PCE RFCs and Internet-Drafts can be found at the PCE
Charter page, http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/pce-charter.html

d. Obsoleted specification

Please note that RFC 4327 has been obsoleted by RFC 4631 and should no
longer be listed in its own right.

e. MPLS and Packet-related RFCs and Internet-Drafts

We suggest that in the light of the recent work within the ITU-T related
to packet transport networks including, but not limited to, pseudowires and
T-MPLS, you may wish to contact Mr. Loa Andersson who is IETF liaison to
the ITU-T on MPLS to see what new and relevant MPLS RFCs and Internet-
Drafts have been published.

Best regards,
Adrian Farrel and Deborah Brungard
IETF CCAMP Working Group Co-Chairs