Subject: [CCAMP] Discussion of the Generalized Label

From: Fatai Zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 16:06:52 +0800

Hi all,

It is well known that GMPLS uses the Generalized Label to identify the
resource (e.g., time-slots, wavelength.). RFC3945 and RFC3471 introduce the
concept of the Generalized Label.  In RFC3945 and RFC3471, they both say :

============================================================================
======== 

A Generalized Label only carries a single level of label i.e., it is
non-hierarchical.  When multiple levels of labels (LSPs within LSPs) are
required, each LSP must be established separately.

============================================================================
========

However, in MRN/MLN, a connection may cross multi regions or multi layers.

In these scenarios, can we use a kind of new hierarchical Generalized Label
to create a connection? E.g., in a hybrid network (e.g, packet and TDM, see
Hybrid Node in RFC5339), can we use a hierarchical Generalized Label to
create an End-to-End packet connection (over the TDM layer)?

We know that some RFCs may be superseded or updated with the advanced tech,
so should we investigate to update the concept of the Generalized Label and
update some existing RFCs including some basic documents (e.g., RFC3471,
RFC3473, RFC3495.) and MLN related documents(e.g., RFC5339, RFC5212..). 

I think the hierarchical Generalized Label will bring the significant effect
on not only GMPLS protocol but also the network operation model (we also
need to investigate deeply to see the brought issues).

Thanks

Fatai