Subject: [CCAMP] WSON and Optical Interface Class concept

From: Giovanni Martinelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 12:06:24 +0200

Hi CCAMP,

for the next ietf mtg submitted this draft:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-martinelli-wson-interface-class-00

We would like to trigger discussion on how to solve the signal 
compatibility problem for WSON. RFC6163 define some compatibility 
parameters while draft-ietf-ccamp-rwa-info-11 and 
draft-ietf-ccamp-rwa-wson-encode-11 define them explicitly. The encoding 
is then reused in several wson protocol extension (e.g. OSPF-TE, 
RSVP-TE, PCEP).

The current encoding make room for either ITU standard values and 
proprietary values. We generally agree that information reported there 
*but*, since technology evolve (e.g. 40/100G, new modulation formats, 
... ), we likely expect changes in encoded values (e.g. some proprietary 
formats may become std).

The basic idea is to replace the explicit encoding by a number called 
optical interface class and use it as a pointer to access (somewhere) 
the information related to optical interface. Benefits:
- first and most important: keep wson protocol evolution independent 
from some technology specific details
- simplify compatibility check: now comparing two number instead of 
guessing on several parameters.
- simplified fixed-length encoding.

Status: the proposal is still a rough cut with some point to refine but 
if anyone like it, we'll be happy to share any follow up.

Cheers
Giovanni