Subject: [CCAMP] Please focus your discussions on technical topics

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 17:53:54 -0000

Hi,

This mailing list is described at https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ccamp as
follows:

> This email list is the discussion list for the CCAMP working group in the
> Routing Area of the IETF. It should be used under the normal rules and
> provisions of IETF working group mailing lists with the coordination of
> the CCAMP working group co-chairs. 
>
> Any item within the CCAMP charter may be discussed on this list, but
> items beyond the charter, spam, and mailshotting are not welcome. 

Discussions of IETF process may be raised on [email-masked].

Concerns about the behavior of working group chairs should, in the first
instance be raised with the chairs themselves. If that does not bring
satisfaction, the issue should be brought to the ADs.

As a matter of clarification (and not for further discussion on the CCAMP
list!): All IETF participants regardless of their role may express technical
opinions and, if they feel strongly, may express them forcefully but always
politely and courteously. That means that WG chairs (yay, and even ADs) can
express technical opinions during discussions. Sometimes the chairs/ADs feel it
necessary to point out to the WG that the opinion they are expressing is just
one voice in the crowd (i.e., they say they have taken their hat off). Chairs
and ADs often have areas of experience where their voice is listened to
carefully, but that is because of their experience not because of their IETF
role. This is fundamental to the way the IETF operates and needs to be thought
about carefully.

Please feel free to contact me privately for any further explanations.

Thanks,
Adrian