Subject: [Cellar] planning for Virtual Interim Meetings for the rest of 2018

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2018 16:54:12 -0400

Tim and I would like to schedule a series of virtual interim meetings.

We'd like to schedule the meetings until the end of November, reserving
that we might cancel one or two based upon progress and availability
of people.

We recognize that few of the participants in this WG are able to make it
to in-person IETF meetings, and we think that virtual interim meetings
would provide a useful time anchor to which to do the work.

We'd like to schedule the meetings monthly, either the 4th week of the
month, or the last week.  If some other cadence would work better
based upon some other common events we are ignorant of, please reply
here.

We will make the dates crystal clear once we've picked a day of the
week.  To that end, here is a doodle poll:

     https://doodle.com/poll/ux5bwnb7426p6cx8

It's a Yes/No/If-Need-Be.  There are three times for each day of the
week:
 	7am-PDT/10am-EDT/16:00-CET
 	10am-PDT/13:00-EDT/19:00-CET
 	13:00-PDT/16:00-EDT/22:00-CET
 	
When answering please answer Yes if you would be available 75% of the time
without problem.   Please answer If-Need-Be if you would be available
at least 50% of the time (maybe having to move another meeting), and No, if you'd be 
available less than 50% of the time (or never: you have recurring obligations)

We will use either appear.in or webex.  While Webex allows dial-in over
PSTN for audio, if you would be unable to be near a computer at the time
(you'd be driving, waiting at your four year old's ballet lesson, etc.)
please answer at most If-Need-Be, as we would like the group to be able
engage using video and in particular, screen sharing.

If you haven't used appear.in or webex before and you think that your
desktop OS, firewalls and/or Internet connectivity may prevent you from
fully participating, please contact the chairs and we'll arrange to do
a trial run with you.

The goal of the meetings is not as formal as typical in-person meetings.
Slides desireable from design teams, but in many cases the chairs will
drive an agenda based upon a dozen or so recurring slides about current
state of issues and documents.

In all cases of meetings, minutes get posted back to the mailing list,
and all decisions need to be ratified on the mailing list.

https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/interim-meetings.html explains the guidelines
around Virtual Interim meetings.  I've pasted some of the text at the
bottom of the email.  The short of it is that we can schedule a series
of virtual interim meetings, but that we should have a few weeks advance notice 
and permission of the area director.

>         Extended sequences of virtual interim meetings should be considered when
>         numerous specific issues need to be debated. Where working group chairs
>         wish to schedule a sequence of more than four virtual interims, the
>         chairs must explicitly set out the reasoning for that in a mail to the
>         list and check that there is rough consensus for that plan. Such
>         extended sequences also require AD approval.
>
>  	 For virtual interim meetings of IETF working groups:
>         The meetings are scheduled by the working group chairs, who
>         should discuss their plans with the responsible AD(s).
>
>         The meetings must be scheduled (timing) with fair access for all
>         working group participants.
>
>         The meetings must be announced and the draft agenda published at
>         least one week (ideally two) before the call or session.
>
>         Announcement text must be posted to the relevant working group
>         mailing list(s).
>
>         Recurring meetings (used only if much debate is expected), may be
>         scheduled together, with a single announcement. A separate draft
>         agenda, serving as a meeting reminder, should be posted before
>         each recurrence.
>
>         Minutes, including a list of attendees, must be sent to the
>         working group mailing list within 10 days of the event (and at
>         least 48 hours before subsequent meeting), and may optionally be
>         uploaded to the Interim Proceedings Tool
>         <https://datatracker.ietf.org/secr/proceedings/interim/> or sent
>         to ​[email-masked].
>
>         Announcement text must be sent to [email-masked] for
>         archiving purposes. If requested, the IESG secretariat will
>         perform an IETF-wide announcement. The secretariat will ensure
>         that the interim meeting is properly configured in the
>         datatracker.

Michael and Tim

-- 
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-