Subject: [certid] version -04 of CertID draft

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 12:20:33 -0600

Jeff and I would like to apologize for the delay in publishing an
updated version of draft-saintandre-tls-server-id-check, which we have
just posted:

http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-saintandre-tls-server-id-check-04.txt

However, we have been hard at work and we think that version -04 is much
improved because it clears up a number of matters that were ambiguous in
previous versions. In particular:

1. We have replaced the vague notion of a "reference identity" with the
more precise concept of an ordered list of reference identifiers, which
can be directly matched against the presented identifiers from the
server certificate (where "identifiers" are things like dNSName,
SRVName, and uniformResourceIdentifier).

2. We have explained more clearly the assumptions behind this work,
including the concept of an application server.

3. We have tightened up the matching process and comparison rules with
regard to both DNS domain names and service types.

4. We have more clearly explained certificate subjectNames, DNs, RDNs,
CNs, etc.

Although open issues remain (e.g., we need to move clearly describe the
threat model), the -04 version is a major revision of the spec and we
expect the diffs going forward to be much smaller. We will now actively
seek out feedback from certification authorities, application
developers, and service operators, then work quickly to close any
remaining open issues. Our goal is to deliver this specification to the
IESG by the end of June at the latest so that we don't hold up
advancement of specs that depend on this one (draft-daboo-srv-email,
draft-ietf-xmpp-rfc3920bis, etc.).

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/