Subject: [conex] (no subject)

From: "Toby Moncaster" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 15:17:21 +0100

Hi All,

We have been working on the attached draft. This is intended to cover both
the conex mechanism and the use cases documents listed in our charter. We
have combined these into a single document since we believe they are
mutually dependent (A mechanism makes little sense without knowing what it
can be used for and a list of use cases are meaningless without knowing what
mechanism will enable them).

We believe that this draft is a good start towards the work of the conex
working group and we would like the working group to consider adopting this
as a formal working group item.

If anyone has any comments please do post them on the list. We are keen to
spark active discussions of conex and hope to encourage other authors to
post their own documents too

Toby

PS This is listed on the IETF website as draft-conex-mechanism-00 rather
than the real name of draft-moncaster-conex-mechanism. This is probably my
fault for getting something wrong in the xml file! 

> -----Original Message-----

> From: IETF I-D Submission Tool [mailto:[email-masked]]

> Sent: 21 June 2010 15:02

> To: [email-masked]

> Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]

> Subject: New Version Notification for draft-conex-mechanism-00

> A new version of I-D, draft-conex-mechanism-00.txt has been

> successfully submitted by Toby Moncaster and posted to the IETF

> repository.

> Filename: draft-conex-mechanism

> Revision: 00

> Title:          Congestion Exposure Mechanism Description

> Creation_date:  2010-06-21

> WG ID:          Independent Submission

> Number_of_pages: 19

> Abstract:

> Internet Service Providers (ISPs) are facing problems where

> congestion prevents full utilization of the path between sender and

> receiver at today's "broadband" speeds.  ISPs desire to control the

> congestion, which often appears to be caused by a small number of

> users consuming a large amount of bandwidth.  Building out more

> capacity along all of the path to handle this congestion can be

> expensive; and network operators have sought other ways to manage

> congestion.  The current mechanisms all suffer from difficulty

> measuring the congestion (as distinguished from the total traffic).

> The ConEx Working Group is designing a mechanism to make congestion

> along any path visible at the Internet Layer.  This document

> discusses this mechanism.

> The IETF Secretariat.