Subject: [core] CORE Draft Agenda for IETF 77

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 15:22:37 -0700

Hi All, 

Carsten and I are starting to put together the Agenda for our first meeting. Below if the rough draft proposal and is highly likely to change but we need input from the group. Are there other things that need discussion time? What are the hot topics that we need to sort out? Drop us some email and let us know how to make a great first meeting. 

Thanks, Cullen

Agenda CORE WG 
IETF-77, Anaheim, CA, USA
-----------------------------------
DRAFT Agenda created March 10

Time:
	Thursday, Mar 25, 9:00 to 11:30

Chairs:
     	Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
     	Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
     	General Discussion: [email-masked]
     	To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/core

Wiki & Status: 
	http://tools.ietf.org/wg/core/

Agenda Bash and Status                       (Chairs 10 min)
	- Note takers
	- Jabber Scribes

CoAP requirements and protocol proposal  (Zach Shelby 50 min)
 	draft-shelby-core-coap-req-00.txt
	draft-shelby-core-coap-00.txt

Bootstrap discussion                    (Colin Oflynn 30 min)
	draft-oflynn-core-bootstrapping-00

Compressed IPfix                         (Lothar Braun 30 min)
 	draft-braun-core-compressed-ipfix-01.txt

Other Topics                            (Working Group 30 min)

---

From: "Don Sturek" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 14:40:18 -0800

Hi Cullen,

Here are a few points that I think need some discussion time in Anaheim:
1)  Resource discovery - I spent a good amount of time trying to find
something that would work within Smart Energy (looking at SLP, m-DNS, SSDP,
even writing an I-D around an optimized SLP).  None of these solutions look
real attractive "as-is".  Can we use some time to re-confirm the
requirements for Resource Discovery and either focus some effort in creating
an optimized solution or identifying what existing solution we could modify
and use?
2)  Directory agent/User agent design - This is related to Resource
discovery but has to do with caching for sleeping devices (a common problem
in constrained environments).  Directory agent only solutions are not
popular since they add resources to selected devices on the network (whose
manufacturers would prefer were cheaper!) while User agent solutions alone
don't address caching.  It would be nice to find a solution (like m-DNS)
where both is possible

I think both of these topics could be addressed in Zach's speaking slot
given they are part of the original problem statement.

Don

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Cullen Jennings
Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 2:23 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [core] CORE Draft Agenda for IETF 77

Hi All, 

Carsten and I are starting to put together the Agenda for our first meeting.
Below if the rough draft proposal and is highly likely to change but we need
input from the group. Are there other things that need discussion time? What
are the hot topics that we need to sort out? Drop us some email and let us
know how to make a great first meeting. 

Thanks, Cullen

Agenda CORE WG 

Time:

Chairs:

Mailing Lists:

Wiki & Status: 

_______________________________________________
core mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/core

---

From: "Charles Palmer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 22:42:22 -0000

Hi Cullen

Security? - what is the scope of security within CoRE, and what security
topics will be dealt with by others?

My group is looking at the extent to which existing security measures
that have evolved within the financial services industry (in particular
GlobalPlatform on tamper-resistant hardware) could be useful tools for
devices such as smart meters where there are valuable assets to protect,
and ample opportunities for Malory to access the devices. There seem to
be parallels between M2M and smart cards. Would IETF 77 be an
opportunity to exchange views?

Regards - Charles Palmer 
Onzo Limited (Project Hydra Project Manager) 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Cullen Jennings
Sent: 10 March 2010 22:23
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [core] CORE Draft Agenda for IETF 77

Hi All, 

Carsten and I are starting to put together the Agenda for our first
meeting. Below if the rough draft proposal and is highly likely to
change but we need input from the group. Are there other things that
need discussion time? What are the hot topics that we need to sort out?
Drop us some email and let us know how to make a great first meeting. 

Thanks, Cullen

Agenda CORE WG 

Time:

Chairs:

Mailing Lists:

Wiki & Status: 

--------------------------------
Onzo is a limited company number 06097997 registered in England & Wales. The    
registered office is 6 Great Newport Street, London, WC2H 7JB, United Kingdom.

This email message may contain confidential and/or privileged information, and
is intended solely for the addressee(s). If you have received this email in     
error, please notify Onzo immediately. Unauthorised copying, disclosure or 
distribution of the material in this email is forbidden.
--------------------------------

---

From: "Rene Struik" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 17:45:20 -0500

Hi Charles:

The following two drafts may be of interest to you: 
-draft-struik-6lowapp-security-considerations 
-draft-oflyn-core-bootstrapping 

Best regards, Rene

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Charles Palmer
Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 5:42 PM
To: Cullen Jennings; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [core] CORE Draft Agenda for IETF 77

Hi Cullen

Regards - Charles Palmer 

-----Original Message-----

Hi All, 

Thanks, Cullen

Agenda CORE WG 

Time:

Chairs:

Mailing Lists:

Wiki & Status: 

--------------------------------
Onzo is a limited company number 06097997 registered in England & Wales.
The    
registered office is 6 Great Newport Street, London, WC2H 7JB, United
Kingdom.

This email message may contain confidential and/or privileged
information, and
is intended solely for the addressee(s). If you have received this email
in     
error, please notify Onzo immediately. Unauthorised copying, disclosure
or 
distribution of the material in this email is forbidden.
--------------------------------

---

From: Zach Shelby <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 10:06:34 +0200

Hi Don,

Sure, I think we should discuss these points during the WG meeting and I'd be happy to include them in my slot on CoAP. We have a (currently blank) resource discovery section in the I-D, and need to move forward on that as a result of Anaheim. Same goes for subscription.

There are two issues to be considered there:
1. Discovery of CoAP resources, this is clearly in the charter and could include both directory agent/user agent models.
2. Pointing to a service discovery technique that should be used in case you don't even know if/who is running a CoAP service is something we can do. We can't modify or create a protocol for this without re-chartering.

Could I suggest that you help me out with a few slides regarding resource discovery (1.)? I'll be on vacation for the next week, but let's do this together in the first days of Anaheim.

Zach

-- 
http://www.sensinode.com
http://zachshelby.org - My blog "On the Internet of Things"
http://6lowpan.net - New book - "6LoWPAN: The Wireless Embedded Internet"
Mobile: +358 40 7796297

Zach Shelby
Head of Research
Sensinode Ltd.
Kidekuja 2
88610 Vuokatti, FINLAND

This e-mail and all attached material are confidential and may contain legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete the e-mail from your system without producing, distributing or retaining copies thereof.

---

From: JP Vasseur <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 08:11:02 +0100

Hi,

> an optimized solution or identifying what existing solution we could  

I strongly agree with Don here. Well ... you know this I was pushing  
to get it in the
charter (thanks to the chairs). This is an important topic indeed.

> don't address caching.  It would be nice to find a solution (like m- 

Same here.

> meeting.

---

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 17:22:01 -0700

Hi,

For the most part, you don't hear many discussions about physical security or tamper resistant hardware at IETF. Mostly IETF leaves that to other groups...  That said, as this early stage in a WG I, imagine the implications of this have some relevance to the security work this group is doing. I should point out I'm not one of the IETF security people so not aware of all the stuff going on. I suspect you would find some people with plenty of knowledge and/or interest in this at IETF but it's not a main focus of any IETF work.

Hope that helps, Cullen

> IETF-77, Anaheim, CA, USA

Cullen Jennings
For corporate legal information go to:
http://www.cisco.com/web/about/doing_business/legal/cri/index.html

---

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 17:30:11 -0700

This is clearly a topic where we need some more discussion. Zach, Don, can the two of you decide how best to run the discussion? If it makes sense for both of you to present, let me know. I'll assume this is in the slot where Zach is speaking right now. If we need to add a bit more time to this slot, I think we can do this. 

I'll have a new agenda up tomorrow. 

Cullen Jennings