Subject: [core] observe #67 (new): Business rules for notifications

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 16:45:07 -0000

#67: Business rules for notifications

 draft-ietf-core-observe-00 states: "It is not necessary that [...] the
 server sends a notification response for every single state change."

 It should be clarified that a server does not need to send a notification
 response for every single state change if, for example, the state is
 changing rapidly.

 The overriding objective, however, is that the state observed by an
 observer eventually becomes consistent with the actual state of the
 observed resource. This means, for example, if a resource stops changing
 frequently, that the server should make sure that the observer receives
 the latest resource state.

 It should also be clarified that a server may notify an observer more than
 once about the same state change, for example, first using a non-
 confirmable notification response, and after some timeout a confirmable
 notification response, to make sure that the observer receives the latest
 resource state.

-- 
----------------------------+-----------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  hartke@…        |       Owner:  hartke@…      
     Type:  enhancement     |      Status:  new           
 Priority:  minor           |   Milestone:                
Component:  observe         |     Version:                
 Severity:  -               |    Keywords:                
----------------------------+-----------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/67>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>

---

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 21:18:10 -0000

#67: Rules for notifications

Comment(by hartke@…):

 It should also be clarified that a server can employ different strategies
 to achieve the overriding objective w.r.t. sending notifications
 confirmable or non-confirmable. ([http://www.ietf.org/mail-
 archive/web/core/current/msg01152.html Non-confirmable vs confirmable
 notification])

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/67#comment:1>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>