Subject: [core] Memento TimeMaps and application/link-format

From: Herbert van de Sompel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 09:09:50 -0700

Hi all,

Mark Nottingham informed me of your work, specifically the introduction of a
MIME type for "Link" formatted documents.

In the context of the Memento work (http://mementoweb.org), we introduced
so-called TimeMaps that are formatted according to the link-value
construction rule of the BNF of RFC 5988. For example, this is a TimeMap:

http://mementoproxy.lanl.gov/aggr/timemap/link/http://lib.ugent.be

We are currently finalizing the first version of an Internet Draft for
Memento, and we are in need of a special-purpose MIME type as the text/csv
that we currently use is inaccurate. In that context, I was wondering about
the following:

(1) Is it appropriate for us to use "application/link-format" for our
TimeMaps? Note that our TimeMaps strictly adhere to the link-value
construction rule of RFC 5988, i.e. we are not using any of the extensions
that you propose.

(2) Why the path was chosen to define extensions as part of the basic
"application/link-format"
MIME type, i.e. why is "application/link-format" not introduced to identify
documents strictly formatted according to RFC 5988's link-value rule, and
why are extensions not handled like, for example, in XML, e.g. "
application/core+link-format"?

Greetings

Herbert Van de Sompel

-- 
Herbert Van de Sompel
Digital Library Research & Prototyping
Los Alamos National Laboratory, Research Library
http://public.lanl.gov/herbertv/

==

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 16:16:37 +0000

Herbert,

interesting that outlook strips the second double slash to a single slash when it's clicked, breaking your link...

Have you thought of simply providing a browser plugin interface to archive.org's existing WayBack Machine to bootstrap this?

________________________________
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Herbert van de Sompel
Sent: 08 November 2010 16:10
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [core] Memento TimeMaps and application/link-format

Hi all,

Mark Nottingham informed me of your work, specifically the introduction of a MIME type for "Link" formatted documents.

In the context of the Memento work (http://mementoweb.org<http://mementoweb.org/>), we introduced so-called TimeMaps that are formatted according to the link-value construction rule of the BNF of RFC 5988. For example, this is a TimeMap:

We are currently finalizing the first version of an Internet Draft for Memento, and we are in need of a special-purpose MIME type as the text/csv that we currently use is inaccurate. In that context, I was wondering about the following:

(1) Is it appropriate for us to use "application/link-format" for our TimeMaps? Note that our TimeMaps strictly adhere to the link-value construction rule of RFC 5988, i.e. we are not using any of the extensions that you propose.

(2) Why the path was chosen to define extensions as part of the basic "application/link-format" MIME type, i.e. why is "application/link-format" not introduced to identify documents strictly formatted according to RFC 5988's link-value rule, and why are extensions not handled like, for example, in XML, e.g. "application/core+link-format"?

Greetings

Herbert Van de Sompel

==

---

From: Herbert van de Sompel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 09:27:10 -0700

> when it's clicked, breaking your link...

Let's blame that on Outlook ;-) .

>
> Have you thought of simply providing a browser plugin interface to
> archive.org's existing WayBack Machine to bootstrap this?
>

The upcoming release of the Internet Archive's Wayback software will be
compatible with the Memento Internet Draft that we will soon publish. And
there is a Memento FireFox plug-in, as well as an Android app. And some
other tools, see http://www.mementoweb.org/tools/

Cheers

Herbert

>
>
>
>  ------------------------------
> *From:* [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] *On Behalf Of
> *Herbert van de Sompel
> *Sent:* 08 November 2010 16:10
> *To:* [email-masked]
> *Subject:* [core] Memento TimeMaps and application/link-format
>
> Hi all,
>
> Mark Nottingham informed me of your work, specifically the introduction of
> a MIME type for "Link" formatted documents.
>
> (2) Why the path was chosen to define extensions as part of the basic "application/link-format"
> MIME type, i.e. why is "application/link-format" not introduced to
> identify documents strictly formatted according to RFC 5988's link-value
> rule, and why are extensions not handled like, for example, in XML, e.g. "

==