Subject: [core] observe #35 (new): Add discussion on message reordering

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2010 09:19:11 -0000

#35: Add discussion on message reordering

 This ticket is to add a discussion on message reordering.

-- 
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  zach@…              |       Owner:  hartke@…      
     Type:  enhancement         |      Status:  new           
 Priority:  minor               |   Milestone:                
Component:  observe             |     Version:                
 Severity:  -                   |    Keywords:                
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/35>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>

---

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 21:31:33 -0000

Comment(by hartke@…):

 Since the overriding objective is that observed state observed eventually
 becomes consistent with the resource state, it is never wrong to discard a
 notification that arrives later than a newer notification.

 This ticket proposes to define a simple mechanism for clients to determine
 if a notification is newer than another.

 Rules:
     * The remaining subscription lifetime in a notification MUST be
 strictly monotonically decreasing.
     * A client SHOULD use a different Token value each time it refreshes a
 subscription.

 The Token functions as a generation identifier, the subscription lifetime
 as notification identifier within a generation.

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/35#comment:1>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>