Subject: [core] coap #87 (new): DTLS section fixes

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 11:27:22 -0000

#87: DTLS section fixes

 This draft is not in the business of making recommendations with respect
 to the implementability of security protocols.  Instead section 10 should
 document the security considerations.
 Remove:
 -- claim that DTLS is an order of magnitude more complex than CoAP
 -- claim that DTLS has appreciable handshake overhead
 Instead, provide some input on how DTLS can be used in a way that is
 appropriate for constrained devices.
 If there were a DTLS-lite draft (similar to the one foreseen for IKE-
 lite), we could reference that -- we should attempt to procure it.

 Other fixes required:
 -- More text about PSK and the minimum entropy of that key.
 -- Fix citation (currently of 5246) for the PSK modes.
 -- 10.3.1 is obvious to security people.  It is also limiting itself to
 URI parsing.  More generally, this could refer to robustness in protocol
 parsing (not just by referring to testing).  We could point out that we
 have attempted to minimize the URI parser concerns by not exposing the
 CoAP protocol to the URI syntax.  (However, we still carry the link-
 format, where this *is* a valid security concern.)
 -- s/cypher/cipher/g

 (Channeling EKR's review in http://www.ietf.org/mail-
 archive/web/core/current/msg01061.html)

-- 
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  cabo@…              |       Owner:         
     Type:  defect              |      Status:  new    
 Priority:  major               |   Milestone:  coap-03
Component:  coap                |     Version:         
 Severity:  Active WG Document  |    Keywords:         
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/87>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>

---

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 21:27:36 -0000

#87: DTLS section fixes

Changes (by zach@…):

  * owner:  => cabo@…
  * milestone:  coap-03 =>

-- 
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  cabo@…              |       Owner:  cabo@…      
     Type:  defect              |      Status:  new         
 Priority:  major               |   Milestone:              
Component:  coap                |     Version:              
 Severity:  Active WG Document  |    Keywords:              
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/87#comment:1>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>