Subject: Re: [core] block #44 (closed): How to estimate the size of a representation

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 15:26:38 -0000

#44: How to estimate the size of a representation

Changes (by cabo@…):

  * status:  new => closed
  * resolution:  => fixed

Comment:

 In Beijing, we said (copied from draft minutes):

 We had a bit of discussion of size estimates (slide 47, #44), one
 proposal was to add a new option, the alternative is to add size
 information as a target attribute to the link-format -- could find out
 size estimate in discovery, but not necessarily current.  In most
 applications we have seen so far that would work well.  For an option,
 we would need to decide whether this is exact, or a maximum etc., but
 what are the use cases?  Decide on the list.

 draft-ietf-core-link-format-02.txt now has a "sz" target attribute, so
 we now have a way to find out the expected size during discovery.
 So that part of this ticket is resolved.

 In the 2010-11-24 Webex call, we briefly discussed this again, and
 didn't find a good use case that would require adding an option to
 provide a more dynamic indication of the size.  Even if there were
 such a use case, such an option would be entirely independent of the
 workings of the block draft, so there is no need to make such a
 decision before finishing -block -- the option can be added later at
 any time.  So for the -block draft, the disposition for such an
 additional option should be WONTFIX.

-- 
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  zach@…              |        Owner:  zach@…            
     Type:  enhancement         |       Status:  closed            
 Priority:  major               |    Milestone:                    
Component:  block               |      Version:                    
 Severity:  -                   |   Resolution:  fixed             
 Keywords:                      |  
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/44#comment:1>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>