Subject: [core] Update to draft-ietf-core-http-mapping-06

From: "Dijk, Esko" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 12:58:18 +0000

Dear all,

After substantial edits by the authors we have now uploaded the new version -06 of the HTTP-CoAP mapping draft. There are now clear main sections on the topics of HTTP-CoAP proxy basics, use cases, URI mapping, media type mapping, and response code mapping. Plus various other improvements.
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-core-http-mapping-06

In the current version, 3 tickets are still open. One that should be discussed is #376 (http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/376) , about how to map a CoAP 4.05 response and the issues when using HTTP 405 for this.
Basically in HTTP 405 the server needs to indicate which methods are allowed; CoAP does not provide such information. One proposal is therefore to define a new CoAP Option to encode the allowed methods for a resource. This option (to be effective) then MUST be used by any CoAP server that returns a 4.05. We will probably start a separate thread on this item to go over all the solutions.

Regards
On behalf of the authors

Esko

---
Changes from ietf-05 to ietf-06:

   o  Fully restructured the draft, bringing introductory text more to
      the front and allocating main sections to each of the key topics;
      addressing Ticket #379;

   o  Addressed Ticket #382, fix of enhanced form URI template
      definition of q in Section 5.3.2;

   o  Addressed Ticket #381, found a mapping 4.01 to 401 Unauthorized in
      Section 7;

   o  Addressed Ticket #380 (Add IANA registration for "core.hc"
      Resource Type) in Section 9;

   o  Addressed Ticket #376 (CoAP 4.05 response can't be translated to
      HTTP 405 by HC proxy) in Section 7 by use of empty 'Allow' header;

   o  Removed details on the pros and cons of HC proxy placement
      options;

   o  Addressed review comments of Carsten Bormann;

   o  Clarified failure in mapping of HTTP Accept headers (Section 6.3);

   o  Clarified detection of CoAP servers not supporting blockwise
      (Section 8.3);

   o  Changed CoAP request timeout min value to MAX_RTT +
      MAX_SERVER_RESPONSE_DELAY (Section 8.6);

   o  Added security section item (Section 10.3) related to use of CoAP
      blockwise transfers;

   o  Many editorial improvements.

-----Original Message-----
From: core [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Monday, March 09, 2015 14:38
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [core] I-D Action: draft-ietf-core-http-mapping-06.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Constrained RESTful Environments Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Guidelines for HTTP-CoAP Mapping Implementations
        Authors         : Angelo P. Castellani
                          Salvatore Loreto
                          Akbar Rahman
                          Thomas Fossati
                          Esko Dijk
        Filename        : draft-ietf-core-http-mapping-06.txt
        Pages           : 32
        Date            : 2015-03-09

Abstract:
   This document provides reference information for implementing a proxy
   that performs translation between the HTTP protocol and the CoAP
   protocol, focusing on the reverse proxy case.  It describes how a
   HTTP request is mapped to a CoAP request and how a CoAP response is
   mapped back to a HTTP response.  Furthermore it defines a template
   for URI mapping and provides a set of guidelines for HTTP to CoAP
   protocol translation and related proxy implementations.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-core-http-mapping/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-core-http-mapping-06

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-core-http-mapping-06

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

_______________________________________________
core mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/core

________________________________
The information contained in this message may be confidential and legally protected under applicable law. The message is intended solely for the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, forwarding, dissemination, or reproduction of this message is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by return e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.