Subject: [core] draft-fossati-core-certmode-rd-names-00

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 20:51:31 +0100

Hi all,

when Thomas and I worked on the "DTLS/TLS profile for IoT" document in
the DICE working group we ran into an issue that concerned the use of
constrained servers.

When constrained servers use the DNS and the FQDN is included in the
certificate then there is no problem. This is then pretty much how
existing Web servers work.

However, what happens if these constrained servers don't use the DNS
(which is not unlikely) then it turns out that there are various gaps in
our specification landscape.

Have a look at our write-up and let us know what you think:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-fossati-core-certmode-rd-names-00

Either we were confused when we wrote the document or there is indeed a
problem.

Ciao
Hannes

PS: I am addressing the mail to DICE because the issue surfaced in the
context of the profile draft and to CORE since this is the group where
the work most likely belongs to.