Subject: [core] CoRE@IETF102: Summary

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2018 09:15:34 -0400

Below is the chairs’ summary of what happened in CoRE at IETF102.
Corrections (and additions that keep the summary form) appreciated.
Detailed minutes are being prepared; see link to raw minutes below.

Grüße, Carsten

CoRE WG - Summary IETF102
=========================

* Video Recordings: [Session 1](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i9VAOJq8LU),
Session 2 not yet available

* [Slides](https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/102/materials/slides-102-core-consolidated-slides/)

* [Raw minutes](https://etherpad.tools.ietf.org/p/notes-ietf-102-core?useMonospaceFont=true)

# CoRE @ IETF102 WG summary

* draft-ietf-core-links-json-10 and draft-ietf-core-cocoa-03 are in
  IESG processing and are awaiting new versions from the authors.
  Side meetings at this meeting have made progress addressing some of
  the open issues from AD and IESG input.

* draft-ietf-core-object-security-13 is in IESG processing and is
  waiting for a review from Eric Rescorla, with a view to Eric
  clearing the remaining DISCUSS held on the document.  Technical
  Changes resulting from IESG and directorate inputs were discussed.
  Responsible AD Alexey triggered a second IETF last call to cover
  those changes.

* draft-ietf-core-oscore-groupcomm-02 is nearing WG last call. The
  plan is to progress this independently from the related ACE
  documents as the membership and group key management can be done by
  other means (e.g., using a simple REST API).  Before the WGLC
  another interop should be held (implementation draft then to be
  published based on outcome of the processing of basic OSCORE).

* draft-ietf-core-echo-request-tag-02 requires a few more reviews; no
  formal dependency but it would be good to finish this approximately
  on the same timeline as OSCORE.

* draft-ietf-core-resource-directory-14 was discussed, with some focus
  of the semantics of the incoming (registration) and outgoing
  (lookup) links.  With several implementations becoming available An
  interop would be next; September/early October time frame is
  envisioned.  Next step then could be WGLC.

* draft-ietf-core-rd-dns-sd-02 was discussed (and later presented in
  DNSSD WG as well).  Much of the discussion centered about how the
  rt= target attribute can be turned into a service type on the DNSSD
  side.  (Later in the DNSSD meeting, the question came up whether
  that is the right pairing in the first place.)  All DNSSD service types
  must be registered (15 ldh characters max); CoRE resource types can
  be registered (63 characters max) or can be URIs.  Further work on
  this is needed, as is on the pairing of ins= and DNSSD instance
  identifiers.

* The CoRECONF cluster (new old name for yang-cbor
  draft-ietf-core-yang-cbor-06, comi draft-ietf-core-comi-03, and sid
  draft-ietf-core-sid-04) has recently received reviews fro the netmod
  community; a few more from the CoRE side and maybe another interop
  would be good before WGLC of this cluster, envisioned to close
  before IETF103.  draft-veillette-core-yang-library has a little more
  time.  As a major technical change it was agreed to always start a
  yang-cbor tree with a SID delta base of 0.  This has slight
  performance disadvantages, but makes handling the payloads much
  less error-prone.

  The CoRE WG is not the place to develop YANG modules that match this
  functionality.  A group will initiate the steps toward a new WG,
  tentatively called Yang Of Things (yot).

* draft-ietf-core-dev-urn-02 was presented, with a focus on the small
  changes needed for alignment with OMA LWM2M.  There was some support
  for this alignment in the room.  Jari Arkko will coordinate with OMA
  and report back.

(end of Monday meeting)

* draft-ietf-core-senml-16 is in AUTH48 as of 2018-07-19, RFC-to-be
  8428.

* A quick heads up from Roman Danyliw pointed to the 2nd WGLC of DOTS
  signaling draft-ietf-dots-signal-channel-21, which uses CoAP.
  Interested reviewers were found.

* draft-keranen-core-senml-fetch-01 found a few reviewers.  Interest
  to be confirmed on the mailing list, in the case of success followed
  by a call for WG adaption.

* A procedural point about IANA registering of SenML fields was
  discussed.  If a registrant is not interested in EXI, no attempt
  should be made to register a new XML/EXI schema name.  Authors to
  check with IANA whether the schema could be stored with the
  registration.  As the first exercise of the registry went less than
  perfectly, AUTH48 to be used to add a couple of clarifying sentences.

* For stateless forward proxies, there was good interest to explore
  the option of introducing an extended token.  The plan is to realize
  (WGLC) or dismiss (revert to separate option, now also called
  Extended Token) before Bangkok.

* draft-ietf-core-too-many-reqs-02 has passed WGLC.  Authors will fix
  typos and then publication will be requested (instead of a second
  WGLC we will use the IETF last call for any emerging WG comments).

* draft-ietf-core-multipart-ct-01 is ready for WGLC.  As thw WG tends
  to think this will be successful, early registration of the
  Content-Format codepoint will now be pursued (following the
  procedure for this).

* draft-bormann-core-proactive-ct-00 received good support.  Next step
  is WG adoption call on mailing list.

The second meeting ran over time significantly.  The remaining items
on the agenda, CoRE interfaces, dynlink, pubsub, and protocol
negotiation, as well as presentation and discussion of
draft-jarvinen-core-fasor-00, will move to interim meetings.

* CoRE will hold regular virtual interims starting from Aug 15.  The
  regular date envisioned is every second Wednesday (with some gaps)
  at 0800 California time.

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2018 11:11:00 +0200

> Session 2 not yet available

Now at:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0XfeVynCAY

Please keep the fixes and updates for the summary coming; minutes based on that will be posted soon.

Grüße, Carsten