Subject: [core] Protocol Action: 'Constrained Application Protocol (CoAP) Hop-Limit Option' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-core-hop-limit-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2019 08:27:00 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Constrained Application Protocol (CoAP) Hop-Limit Option'
  (draft-ietf-core-hop-limit-07.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Constrained RESTful Environments Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adam Roach, Alexey Melnikov and Barry Leiba.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-core-hop-limit/

Technical Summary

   The presence of Constrained Application Protocol (CoAP) proxies
   may lead to infinite forwarding loops, which is undesirable.
   To prevent and detect such loops, this document specifies
   the Hop-Limit CoAP option.

Working Group Summary

   The document has gone through multiple expert reviews
   and has been discussed at multiple face-to-face IETF meetings.
   Nothing particularly controversial about this document.

Document Quality

   This draft is the solution to a problem raised by the DOTs WG
   (https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dots-signal-channel-37).
   It is referred as a normative reference there.

   The option has already been implemented in the proprietary
   NCC Group DOTS.

Personnel

   Jaime Jiménez is the document shepherd.
   Alexey Melnikov is the responsible Area Director.

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2019 20:25:43 +0100

I would like to congratulate the authors of this specification — they successfully extracted this functionality from the DOTS signal channel draft (which will likely be approved as well, soon) and carried it into the CoRE WG, where we finished this together, and despite the transfer even managed to overtake the document that it was extracted from.  While things could well have gone even more smoothly in this WG, I think we do have a success here.  A big thank you to everyone who contributed and reviewed!

Grüße, Carsten

> On Nov 26, 2019, at 17:27, The IESG <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> _______________________________________________
> IETF-Announce mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce