Subject: [core] 10 years of CoRE today?

From: Thomas Fossati <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2020 09:54:40 +0000

If datatracker is not lying [1], today is 10 years since CoRE officially
started!

I wasn't there back then - my first contact with CoAP was -08 at IETF 82
- but I have been here long enough to even make some very good friends,
and observe a relatively big chunk of the history of this place.

I (more or less) enjoyed each and every excruciating discussion behind
this ambitious technical programme, but most of all I have come to
appreciate the cosy, collaborative and non-adversarial environment that
all the folks here have contributed to consistently maintain along the
years.  Obviously everyone has played their part, but I think a
substantial chunk of the merit goes to Carsten, who has continuously
poured an amazing amount of energy into this effort, and deserves a
heartfelt CHEERS! from my side :-)

All the best for the future!
t

[1] https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/core/history/
--

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium. Thank you.

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2020 15:00:02 +0100

Thomas is right, it's 10 years now (or will be later today:
  Subject: WG Action: Constrained RESTful Environments (core)
  Date: Tue,  9 Mar 2010 11:00:02 -0800 (PST)
).  I wonder if there is a way we can have a face-to-face celebration
soon, so I'll resort to supplying some background here on the list.

The protocol work was already started in 2009 (under the name of
6lowapp) by Zach Shelby, then of Sensinode fame (acquired by ARM
later), several others, and me.  Klaus Hartke came in by 2010, first
with the Observe idea and spec, and then as a main author on the CoAP
spec itself.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bormann-6lowpan-6lowapp-problem-00 is
one of the very early documents from 2009.  We held a rather memorable
"Bar BOF" at IETF75 in Stockholm (not at a bar, but with actual beer!
-- thanks to Zach Shelby and his company) crammed in before the
social, see
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/area/app/trac/wiki/BarBofs/IETF75/6LowApp
(and of course my slide set referenced from there)
-- that was probably the most productive birthday party I ever had...

In that Bar BOF, the decision was taken to start work on an
application layer protocol for constrained node networks; the
assumption was that work on a constrained transport protocol would
take a decade (so it would be finished today :-).

We had our IETF BOF at IETF76 in Hiroshima, November 9, 2009.
On December 24th, 2009, the -00 of the requirements document was
published.  We became the CoRE WG on 2010-03-09, right before IETF77
in Anaheim.

Only 4 years after the Bar-BoF, the CoAP specification was approved
with 8 Yes votes (!) in the IESG (and then had to wait another year in
the RFC editor queue before some security area squabble was settled
that affected a normative reference).

During the ten years of the CoRE WG so far, I shared the chair
position with a number of co-chairs: Cullen Jennings to 2012, Andrew
McGregor to 2016, Jaime Jiménez since, and now Marco Tiloca as well.
Responsible ADs included Lisa Dusseault who chartered us, Peter
Saint-Andre from 2010, Barry Leiba from 2012, and Alexey Melnikov from
2016, with another handoff coming this month.  (If you want a visual:
https://ietf.org/proceedings/95/slides/slides-95-core-0.pdf#page=8 .)

In total, we have published 12 RFCs in those first ten years, one
experimental (RFC 7390 groupcomm), and 11 standards-track (among
these: RFC 6690 link-format, the core set 7252, 7641, 7959; RFC 8132
fetch/patch, RFC 8323 over TCP/TLS; RFC 8613 OSCORE).  Quite a few
more specifications are almost done or have already left the WG, being
processed by the IESG (4) or in the RFC editor queue (1).

Of course, it's the working group that is doing the work, not the WG
chairs.  But among the latter, we now have two on board that I believe
are below the IETF median age, which is a good thing going forward.

Those who have worked with me a bit longer may know that I have this
idiosyncrasy: I'm trying not to do the same thing in the same way for
more than ten years.  That is not a hard and fast rule, but it has
generally served me well.

So I'm stepping down as a CoRE WG chair today.

I'm not completely leaving the building though, sorry about that.
First, I'm staying on as shepherd on a few drafts, as you can see in
https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/core/documents/ -- right column.

But more importantly, I am a co-author on a few drafts (both in the WG
and in the related IRTF T2TRG) I really want to develop to maturity,
and I'll now be able to focus on document writing (as opposed to
managing the conflict between being a chair and a document author).

So I'll still do the same things, just not in the same way!

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: Abhijan Bhattacharyya <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2020 20:13:06 +0530

Hi Carsten,
It was indeed a treasured learning experience for me to interact with you during the journey of RFC 7967 (no-response option). Unfortunately we could not got that through the WG. But it was under your Chair-ship when we were able to discuss this in the WG for significant duration over several meetings and, undoubtedly, those discussions and feed backs helped the draft smoothly pass through the independent submission track. Appreciate all the guidance you provided in tough times.

Thank you! 

With Best Regards
Abhijan Bhattacharyya
Consultant / Scientist,
{Internet Protocols | 5G | Standardization}, 
TCS Research,
Tata Consultancy Services
Building 1B,Ecospace
Plot -  IIF/12 ,New Town, Rajarhat,
Kolkata - 700160,West Bengal
India
Ph:- +91 33 66884691
Cell:- +919830468972 | +918583875003
Mailto: [email-masked]
Website: http://www.tcs.com
____________________________________________
Experience certainty.	IT Services
Business Solutions
Consulting
____________________________________________

-----"core" <[email-masked]> wrote: -----
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
From: "Carsten Bormann" 
Sent by: "core" 
Date: 03/09/2020 07:32PM
Subject: Re: [core] 10 years of CoRE today!

"External email. Open with Caution"

Grüße, Carsten

_______________________________________________
core mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/core
=====-----=====-----=====
Notice: The information contained in this e-mail
message and/or attachments to it may contain 
confidential or privileged information. If you are 
not the intended recipient, any dissemination, use, 
review, distribution, printing or copying of the 
information contained in this e-mail message 
and/or attachments to it are strictly prohibited. If 
you have received this communication in error, 
please notify us by reply e-mail or telephone and 
immediately and permanently delete the message 
and any attachments. Thank you

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2020 19:19:33 -0400

> Date: Tue,  9 Mar 2010 11:00:02 -0800 (PST)

okay, so 10 years since the first email,

    > -- thanks to Zach Shelby and his company) crammed in before the

suggests that you should be celebrating in Madrid.

    > So I'm stepping down as a CoRE WG chair today.

Thank you for this!

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-

---

From: Jaime Jiménez <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 12:00:50 +0200

> I wonder if there is a way we can have a face-to-face celebration

I hope we can have a proper f2f celebration in Madrid.

---

From: Peter van der Stok <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 11:34:07 +0100

HI wg chairs,

In my view, the lowpan start by Zach and Carsten has considerably
changed the landscape of using Internet for constrained resource
applications. From complete incredulity, we now see quite some interest
from the industry.

Thanks Carsten (and Zach) for their lead.

For me, a F2F celebration in Madrid is quite attractive.

Peter

---

From: "Carles Gomez Montenegro" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 12:55:27 +0100

+1

Carles

> Jaime JimÃ©nez schreef op 2020-03-10 11:00:
>

---

From: Marco Tiloca <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 13:56:31 +0100

Definitely +1

/Marco

-- 
Marco Tiloca
Ph.D., Senior Researcher

RISE Research Institutes of Sweden
Division ICT
Isafjordsgatan 22 / Kistagången 16
SE-164 40 Kista (Sweden)

Phone: +46 (0)70 60 46 501
https://www.ri.se

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 12:59:36 +0000

Hi Carsten,

> So I'm stepping down as a CoRE WG chair today.

Thank you very much for your chairing service and contributions over the 
years! I have enjoyed working with you as a chair. I will be expecting 
to see more work from you in the CORE WG :-).

Best Regards,

Alexey

---

From: Francesca Palombini <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 15:55:58 +0000

Thank you for all your work Carsten! I was not at IETF when all started either, but CoRE has been the first working group I've participated in and that brought me to IETF. I'm grateful for your guidance and your welcoming leadership. 

Francesca

On 09/03/2020, 15:01, "core on behalf of Carsten Bormann" <[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:

    

    

    

    

    
    Grüße, Carsten

---

From: Mohit Sethi M <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 20:20:58 +0000

I wanted to use this occasion to thank Carsten for his immense 
contribution to CoRE and CoAP.

I think CoAP is a perfect example of the ethos that we cherish at the 
IETF.  If you have a useful open standard with plenty of open-source 
implementations; someday someone will just start using it. I mean, the 
fact that IKEA light bulbs use CoAP is something that you Carsten, and 
the rest of the IETF can be proud of. It is a perfect example of 
"permissionless innovation": IKEA didn't come to us for feature bashing.

All my conversations with Carsten have been extremely positive. In my 4 
years of IETF participation, I have been lucky to have someone 
experienced like him to not only talk about technical protocols, but 
also receive general career and life advice. And I must confess: he has 
a magic ability of making problems disappear.

Finally, for one reason or another, not many people are able to stick 
around to see things from draft to deployment. I understand that there 
are probably many good reasons for this: lack of interest, lack of 
funding, change in corporate priorities etc. But I am sure the pressure 
to move on to the next research topic is even more in academia. So thank 
you Carsten for being around to make sure many important technical 
pieces are ready for deployment.

I hope that you continue being active in CoRE and the IETF in general.

--Mohit

PS: Welcome Marco. You have big shoes to fill. I am sure you will do a 
great job!