Subject: [core] Protocol Action: 'FETCH & PATCH with Sensor Measurement Lists (SenML)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-core-senml-etch-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 05:46:09 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'FETCH & PATCH with Sensor Measurement Lists (SenML)'
  (draft-ietf-core-senml-etch-07.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Constrained RESTful Environments Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adam Roach, Alexey Melnikov and Barry Leiba.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-core-senml-etch/

        Technical Summary

   The Sensor Measurement Lists (SenML) media type and data model can
   be used to send collections of resources, such as batches of sensor
   data or configuration parameters.  The existing media types
   (defined in RFC 8428) are useful for the traditional operations
   GET, PUT, POST.  The CoAP iPATCH, PATCH, and FETCH methods enable
   accessing and updating parts of a resource or multiple resources
   with one request.  For using these methods to access and operate on
   resources represented with the SenML data model, the present
   document defines variants of the SenML media types, for JSON and
   CBOR representations only.

        Working Group Summary

   Most of the discussion in the WG (up to and including the last
   call) centered around whether the existing media types should be
   shoe-horned into use with the new methods or new media types were
   needed.  In the end, having a simple way to apply a slight variant
   won out over having a more complex way to apply something that is
   nominally, but not really SenML.  Christian Amsüss was kind enough
   to summarize his view of the result of the discussion into a Wiki
   page:
   https://github.com/core-wg/wiki/wiki/On-media-types-for-FETCH-and-(i)PATCH
   which will be useful in avoiding revisiting the issues when they
   inevitably come up for the next media type.

        Document Quality

Implementations of this media type will often be done in the context
of the OMA LWM2M specification, which is set to pick up the new media
types in future versions (1.1.1 hints: "The media types,
application/senml-etch+json and application/senml-etch+cbor, will
remove the requirement for context aware parsing.").  None of the
implementations this shepherd is aware of is public yet: one existing
implementation, and one implementation that is in the product plan of
a vendor.

A media type review has been requested 2019-07-12 in
⁨<https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/media-types/UYGLx96gkwArLtwawiiNDBcxzTU>⁩

        Personnel

          Who is the Document Shepherd? Who is the Responsible Area
          Director?

Shepherd: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]> (CoRE Co-chair)
Responsible AD: Alexey Melnikov

RFC Editor Note

For fragment identifier in 2 media types registration please include the section number 4 when referencing RFC AAAA.