Subject: [core] I-D Action: draft-ietf-core-resource-directory-24.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2020 12:39:50 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Constrained RESTful Environments WG of the IETF.

        Title           : CoRE Resource Directory
        Authors         : Zach Shelby
                          Michael Koster
                          Carsten Bormann
                          Peter van der Stok
                          Christian Amsüss
	Filename        : draft-ietf-core-resource-directory-24.txt
	Pages           : 79
	Date            : 2020-03-09

Abstract:
   In many IoT applications, direct discovery of resources is not
   practical due to sleeping nodes, disperse networks, or networks where
   multicast traffic is inefficient.  These problems can be solved by
   employing an entity called a Resource Directory (RD), which contains
   information about resources held on other servers, allowing lookups
   to be performed for those resources.  The input to an RD is composed
   of links and the output is composed of links constructed from the
   information stored in the RD.  This document specifies the web
   interfaces that a Resource Directory supports for web servers to
   discover the RD and to register, maintain, lookup and remove
   information on resources.  Furthermore, new target attributes useful
   in conjunction with an RD are defined.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-core-resource-directory/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-core-resource-directory-24
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-core-resource-directory-24

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-core-resource-directory-24

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Christian Amsüss <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2020 20:48:34 +0100

Hello CoRE,

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-core-resource-directory/

this version addresses comments that came up during AD evaluation, in
particular during the meeting at IETF106:

* Discovery using DNS-SD added again

  As discussed in Singapore, instead of forward-referencing the slower
  moving RD-DNS-SD (or not saying anything about DNS-SD at all), this
  explicitly states the minimal necessary about RD discovery using
  DNS-SD for the relevant protocols. It defines _core-rd._udp,
  _core-rd-dtls._udp, _core-rd._tcp and _core-rd-tls._tcp, and states
  that this gives sufficient information to start URI discovery.

* Minimum lifetime (lt) reduced from 60 to 1

  This came from implementor feedback; the arbitrary limit required them
  to introduce workarounds just for the sake of testing, without a good
  reason why exactly 60s should be a limit on protocol level.

* References added

* IANA considerations

  - added about .well-known/core resource

    as Simple Registration has always used a behavior extension to that
    resource that can only be done once

  - added DNS-SD service names

  - made RDAO option number a suggestion

  - added "reference" field to endpoint type registry

* Lookup: mention that anchor is a legitimate lookup attribute

  because while following from the text in a strict sense, that
  possibility was missed by users

* Terminology and example fixes

* Layout fixes, esp. the use of non-ASCII characters in figures

To the best of my knowledge, this addresses all the issues and open
points that were brought up during the latest round of reviewing.

Kind regards
Christian

-- 
This may seem a bit weird, but that's okay, because it is weird.
  -- perldata(1) about perl variables