Subject: [core] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-core-dev-urn-10: (with COMMENT)

From: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2021 08:26:20 -0800

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-core-dev-urn-10: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-core-dev-urn/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for the work put into this document. I just wonder why this document
is the work of CORE as it is quite generic and could be used outside of CORE
(but, this is not a problem at all as it is an IETF stream document and had an
IETF last call).

There have been two IoT directorate reviews by:
- Dave Thaler
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/review-ietf-core-dev-urn-09-iotdir-telechat-thaler-2021-01-07/
- Russ Housley:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/review-ietf-core-dev-urn-09-iotdir-telechat-housley-2021-01-06/
both reviews have a status of 'Almost Ready' that translates into authors
SHOULD really address the comments (and I have seen already many email messages
on those reviews).

Please find below some non-blocking COMMENT points (but replies would be
appreciated), and one nit.

I hope that this helps to improve the document,

Regards,

-éric

== COMMENTS ==

-- Section 4.1 --
Should "FFFF" be replaced by "0xffff" especially as there is some text before
(section 3.2.1) suggesting to use lowercase of MAC addresses ?

More important: can MAC address be part of an identifier in the world of random
MAC address (or on the spot generated MAC address -- think VM) ? I suggest to
add some text around MAC address randomization impact.

== NITS ==

-- Section 4.2 --
s/64 bit identifier/64-bit identifier/ ?