Subject: [core] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-tiloca-core-observe-multicast-notifications-05.txt

From: Marco Tiloca <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2021 13:54:34 +0100

Hello CoRE,

We have recently submitted an update for the draft "Observe 
Notifications as CoAP Multicast Responses".

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-tiloca-core-observe-multicast-notifications-05

The document describes how a CoAP server can send Observe notifications 
over multicast, and how Group OSCORE can be used to protect such 
notifications. The proposed approach is especially relevant for, but not 
limited to, a Publish-Subscribe scenario with the Broker taking 
advantage of multicast.

This update especially covers:

1) The latest notification is now optional to include in the informative 
response from the server.

2) Added target attribute "grp_obs" to signal the possible use of 
multicast notifications.

3) Improved encoding of transport information, as 'tp_info' parameter 
specified in the informative response.

4) Revised processing in the presence of proxies, with updated examples 
in Appendix E and Appendix F.

5) New Appendix C, defining how the server may self-manage the OSCORE group.

6) New Appendix D, defining an optimization where the phantom request is 
a deterministic request [1].

Comments are very welcome!

Best,
/Marco

[1] https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-amsuess-core-cachable-oscore/

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	New Version Notification for 
draft-tiloca-core-observe-multicast-notifications-05.txt
Date: 	Mon, 22 Feb 2021 08:57:09 -0800
From: 	[email-masked]
To: 	Christian Amsuess <[email-masked]>, Francesca Palombini 
<[email-masked]>, Marco Tiloca <[email-masked]>, 
Rikard Hoeglund <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, 
draft-tiloca-core-observe-multicast-notifications-05.txt
has been successfully submitted by Marco Tiloca and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name: draft-tiloca-core-observe-multicast-notifications
Revision: 05
Title: Observe Notifications as CoAP Multicast Responses
Document date: 2021-02-22
Group: Individual Submission
Pages: 67
URL: 
https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ietf.org%2Farchive%2Fid%2Fdraft-tiloca-core-observe-multicast-notifications-05.txt&amp;data=04%7C01%7Cmarco.tiloca%40ri.se%7C1e7128568c43481d565f08d8d752e5ff%7C5a9809cf0bcb413a838a09ecc40cc9e8%7C0%7C0%7C637496098328492857%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=mqUV%2Br3bSEimgVSg2FtRsp7neKxwZYr3qU17sIMZFyQ%3D&amp;reserved=0
Status: 
https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdatatracker.ietf.org%2Fdoc%2Fdraft-tiloca-core-observe-multicast-notifications%2F&amp;data=04%7C01%7Cmarco.tiloca%40ri.se%7C1e7128568c43481d565f08d8d752e5ff%7C5a9809cf0bcb413a838a09ecc40cc9e8%7C0%7C0%7C637496098328497827%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=BOHof%2BwACNYBwsyCiY9o2yW97C9k9epEMGF3xpI999I%3D&amp;reserved=0
Htmlized: 
https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdatatracker.ietf.org%2Fdoc%2Fhtml%2Fdraft-tiloca-core-observe-multicast-notifications&amp;data=04%7C01%7Cmarco.tiloca%40ri.se%7C1e7128568c43481d565f08d8d752e5ff%7C5a9809cf0bcb413a838a09ecc40cc9e8%7C0%7C0%7C637496098328497827%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=mbCZ9xQd3aAXlRmS77UkFdUH3z0gpfV76jel1O0hnDU%3D&amp;reserved=0
Htmlized: 
https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Ftools.ietf.org%2Fhtml%2Fdraft-tiloca-core-observe-multicast-notifications-05&amp;data=04%7C01%7Cmarco.tiloca%40ri.se%7C1e7128568c43481d565f08d8d752e5ff%7C5a9809cf0bcb413a838a09ecc40cc9e8%7C0%7C0%7C637496098328497827%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=XP9q6ZsyZWutobEOjNN71SB%2BtxU%2FIxhf6iSGb3hoWzc%3D&amp;reserved=0
Diff: 
https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ietf.org%2Frfcdiff%3Furl2%3Ddraft-tiloca-core-observe-multicast-notifications-05&amp;data=04%7C01%7Cmarco.tiloca%40ri.se%7C1e7128568c43481d565f08d8d752e5ff%7C5a9809cf0bcb413a838a09ecc40cc9e8%7C0%7C0%7C637496098328497827%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=HDL%2FerImQ5lHgreWJQwdzmMEHsxykRoPG7WgirChwoQ%3D&amp;reserved=0

Abstract:
The Constrained Application Protocol (CoAP) allows clients to
"observe" resources at a server, and receive notifications as unicast
responses upon changes of the resource state. In some use cases,
such as based on publish-subscribe, it would be convenient for the
server to send a single notification addressed to all the clients
observing a same target resource. This document updates RFC7252 and
RFC7641, and defines how a server sends observe notifications as
response messages over multicast, synchronizing all the observers of
a same resource on a same shared Token value. Besides, this document
defines how Group OSCORE can be used to protect multicast
notifications end-to-end between the server and the observer clients.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat