Subject: [core] Protocol Action: 'CoRE Resource Directory' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-core-resource-directory-28.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2021 12:17:52 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'CoRE Resource Directory'
  (draft-ietf-core-resource-directory-28.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Constrained RESTful Environments Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Murray Kucherawy and Barry Leiba.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-core-resource-directory/

Technical Summary
In many M2M applications, direct discovery of resources is not practical
due to sleeping nodes, disperse networks, or networks where multicast
traffic is inefficient.  These problems can be solved by employing an
entity called a Resource Directory (RD), which hosts descriptions of
resources held on other servers, allowing lookups to be performed for
those resources.  This document specifies the web interfaces that a
Resource Directory supports in order for web servers to discover the RD
and to register, maintain, lookup and remove resources descriptions. 
Furthermore, new link attributes useful in conjunction with an RD are
defined.

Working Group Summary
The document has been discussed in multiple IETF meetings, and there are
no particular issues worth calling out.  The working group has consensus
on this document.

Document Quality
The document has gone through multiple expert reviews and there have been
several implementations and interoperability events during IETF
Hackathons and off-site. There are implementations made by Open Source OS
makers (Mbed, RIOT, ...), several open source implementations by
individuals (aiocoap, californium, ...) and versions run by companies on
their products as well as several SDO (iOMA, etc) implementations that
use some version of this draft.

Personnel
Document Shepherd: Jaime Jiménez
Area Director: Barry Leiba